The smog dwellers.

Always found this confusing. Are you supposed to support your local League club? And if so why? If getting uber about nature of local support then surely its club on doorstep. Most of which not even in highest levels of League football. Most fans travelling 5 miles or more to stadiums in Sunderland or Newcastle are passing grounds far nearer to birthplace.

SAFC was closest club to my birthplace. Cant get much closer than seeing the floodlights from front window :cool:

I am still baffled ad to why so many supporters of other clubs cone on to this forum. Can a supporter of one of these clubs please explain the fascination? Please don't say it is because we are obsessed with Portsmouth, Peterborough, Oxford, Middlesbrough and others I have forgotten about.
It's a good forum. They are some really good posters on here mixed in with some jaw dropping idiots. I like the Swindon, Everton and Hammer that get on here. No issue with the Smogs getting on here. The Boro lad is only defending his team against a post made against them. Good on him

Dont think we will see them for a while if they do. Will be disastrous for the area too. Football is all they have down there.
I have no beef with Boro like, I think we are both similar people, both hate the superiority complex of the jawdies. That quote is a bit silly, I’d say the Tees Valley has a lot going for it compared to us, lot of investment and change going on down there.

I’m from British West Hartlepool. It states on my birth certificate that I am from County Durham. County Durham’s team are Sunderland AFC but some folk on here think it’s funny to refer to us as Teessiders.
It’s not funny at all. It’s an insult.
Both sides of my family are Durham folk, from Pelton and Lumley. It does boil my piss when Hartlepool folk are referred to as smog monsters, let me tell you, we are County Durham and proud.

I’m from British West Hartlepool. It states on my birth certificate that I am from County Durham. County Durham’s team are Sunderland AFC but some folk on here think it’s funny to refer to us as Teessiders.
It’s not funny at all. It’s an insult.
Both sides of my family are Durham folk, from Pelton and Lumley. It does boil my piss when Hartlepool folk are referred to as smog monsters, let me tell you, we are County Durham and proud.
Durham goes from the Tyne to the Tees. Love to see Billingham supporters traveling up for last game of the season.
Pelton and Lumley. Know them well. FTM and the smoggies to a lesser extent.

Last edited:
Durham goes from the Tyne to the Tees. Love to see Billingham supporters traveling up for last game of the season.
My grandfather and Uncles took me to Roker Park.It was a treat.We didn’t go to every game, but as a kid I remember going by train and coach to Roker Park with my grandad and uncles. They were Durham folk and so am I.
Calling Hartlepool people Smogs or whatever is a cheap shot.
We are County Durham through and through.

Always found this confusing. Are you supposed to support your local League club? And if so why? If getting uber about nature of local support then surely its club on doorstep. Most of which not even in highest levels of League football. Most fans travelling 5 miles or more to stadiums in Sunderland or Newcastle are passing grounds far nearer to birthplace.
A lot of people, myself included, follow the lads because our family basically told us to. A huge chunk of our support follows the club due to family connections.

Theres a huge difference between them/us and those that just chose to support a club in the hope of following the glory like a load of durham mags did.

I have no beef with Boro like, I think we are both similar people, both hate the superiority complex of the jawdies. That quote is a bit silly, I’d say the Tees Valley has a lot going for it compared to us, lot of investment and change going on down there.

Last time I was there there was literally nothing going for the place. Stockton and that maybe but I’m on about Middlesbrough itself.

things might pick up if they get the steel up and running again though. Fingers crossed
I'd rather they stayed up if we went up, nice easy away game and it's a bigger game than Luton. Ideally Charlton and Stoke would fall into the bottom 3 with Luton.

Would f***ing love to see Stoke go down. Never met such a bunch of wankstain idiotic supporters with a severe lack of relevant football knowledge.

Last edited:
If it's based on successes by way of trophies then its Sunderland
6 x top flight champions
5 x Runners up.
2 x Fa cup winners.
Record attendance 75118

Middlesbrough
1 x league cup winners 2003/04.
Record attendance 53.000 at awesome park.

My dad always said Sunderland v Newcastle was the main game in the Area wear tyne derby. Mboro was a regional fixture but fiesty.

If by the west end you're on about towards Conniscliffe? then yeah it does look 'nice'.
Stockton also has decent areas - Hartburn village for instance.
I was meaning the town centre areas , both pretty depressing imo , although Darlington has (imo) some nice architecture.
I'm a Merrybent lad so yes kind of

Back