The SMB Movie thread

Motherless Brooklyn

Edward Norton plays a private investigator with Tourette’s In 1950s New York who tries to find out who killed his mate, Bruce Willis

Decent. 7/10
I'd go 7.5, maybe even 8 if it wasn't for the music being too loud over the talking at times. I think it was just to prove he could remember things normal folk couldn't by making it difficult to hear but it annoyed the good lady

niknak_123

Striker
I'd go 7.5, maybe even 8 if it wasn't for the music being too loud over the talking at times. I think it was just to prove he could remember things normal folk couldn't by making it difficult to hear but it annoyed the good lady
7.5 is fair, wouldn’t argue with someone giving it an 8. Thought the music in general was great. Not got an opinion on the loudness but the way Omar from the Wire played the trumpet during the dance was great

The Lighthouse

Its a very strange film. I'm not surprised people switch it off. Although its filmed brilliantly there isn't really a twist that's worth sticking with. I found it a chore watching it on the first watch. Will probably watch it again at a push.
My name is Dolemite 9.3/10

Eddie Murphy has definitely still got it. Very good performance. Bowfinger explains a lot about this film.
-

My name is Dolemite 9.3/10

Last edited:

HABA87

Winger
Queen & Slim

7/10

A bit too bloated, good but could have done with half an hour chopping.

Decent soundtrack, some mint clobber and the two (British) leads are great.

maygo

Winger
The Lighthouse
7.5/10

Blokes gan mad on an island off America, due to lack of sex and too much booze
Will be better with another watch

Inglorious Basterds
9/10

Rewatched, possibly QT’s finest hour. Some proper tense as fuck scenes, all involving Christoph Waltz. Tremendous fillum

Remember.
Stumbled across this on Amazon Prime, got that bloke out of Space 1999 in it, and the one out of the Sound of Music.
Starts out slow, then gets better and better, with a canny twist at the end that I didn't see coming.
Very good 8/10

philontour

Goalkeeper
Parasite - 8/10

Korean Drama/Comedy/Thriller that takes a clever look between the rich and poor societies with standard Korean/Japanese in your face killings at the end. Battle Royale type killings and not in anyway a horror (not designed to be). Mostly a Drama/Comedy though and a much needed refreshing original story compared to most action/sequel films churned out by Hollywood. Well worth a watch. Nominated for Oscars.

Panhead

Midfield
Richard Jewell - All about the nail bombing at Atalanta Olympics in 96. How the FBI and the media pushed the blame onto the Security Guard who discovered the bomb and saved dozens of lives. Latest from Clint Eastwood, very good film 8/10

Just Mercy - Jamie Foxx and Creed in film about clearing an innocent man on death row of murder. Good old tale of racism in Alabama. 8/10

JoJo Rabbit - Very weird, but very moving and funny. Sam Rockwell is on great form and nice cameo from Stephen Merchant 9/10

1917 - Doesn't live up to the hype IMO 6/10

Last edited:

Bear

Striker
Alita: Battle Angel

Really enjoyable film 7/10

Alita, a battle cyborg, is revived by Ido, a doctor, who realises that she actually has the soul of a teenager. Alita then sets out to learn about her past and find her true identity.

leyburnrunner

Central Defender
boyhood 9/10.
epic effort over 3 hours+. not much happens though you are watching the characters grow up before your eyes.

Ladybird 7/10.
Second Coming Of Age fillum watched over the weekend. bit flat in parts.

maygo

Winger
The Prodigy
8/10

Netflix fillum, thought it would be the usual shite horror. Instead it is a good creepy horror, about a young boy who appears to have a split personality

bobster999

Full Back
Just watched Uncut Gems.

It wasn't what I was expecting but Adam Sandler is really good in it.

It feels 90s in story and the way its filmed. Love the anamorphic look in films though.

7.5/10