The SMB Movie thread

Pants

Winger
Day 14:

Christine – 7.5/10

John Carpenter adapts a Stephen King novel about a car that was born evil. Filmed in the same neighbourhood as Halloween, this has all the trappings that define a great Carpenter flick. I particularly loved the use of old 50's/60's rock 'n' roll tracks made to sound sinister and creepy.

It's one of those films that should be awful but thanks to the craftmanship that went into its production, it is fantastic. It even features a typically brilliant performance from Harry Dean-Stanton.
So it's no different to when you watched it last week then?

DJ Doubt

Midfield
So it's no different to when you watched it last week then?
I've let myself down. Talk about fail. At least someone is paying attention tho tbf. More attention than me anyway
Halloween (2018). Absolute guff, and a dull, tedious and unnecessary retread. No idea how it garnered the critical praise it did. Nodded off three times watching it.
Really enjoyed this in the cinema. Not see many people slate it this much

Last edited:

maygo

Winger
Stuber
6/10
I was pissed when I watched this, but can remember some bits being funny. Batista is a decent actor when not being Drax

Judy
7:5/10
Rene Zellweger as Judy Garland, and does it extremely well. Came away feeling very sorry for Judy, not Mrs Maygo though- said as an adult you’re mature enough to know what’s right and wrong, and what’s good for your kids or not

DJ Doubt

Midfield
Day 15:

Hellraiser – 8/10

A very dark and grisly horror film that does what it says on the tin. The practical gore effects still look great and the interaction between the main characters is very well written. Plenty of quotable lines and iconic visuals. It’s completely twisted, and you get the feeling that the people involved in making this must all be sick in the head.

black-cat

Striker
Stuber
6/10
I was pissed when I watched this, but can remember some bits being funny. Batista is a decent actor when not being Drax

Judy
7:5/10
Rene Zellweger as Judy Garland, and does it extremely well. Came away feeling very sorry for Judy, not Mrs Maygo though- said as an adult you’re mature enough to know what’s right and wrong, and what’s good for your kids or not
Your missus wasn't force fed drugs as a kid, should think hersel lucky

Teed

Striker
Hurricane = crap, poor cg's in the action scenes and the dialog was historically way off the mark, people didn't talk like that in the 70's never mind the 30's/40's lazy directing imo.

DJ Doubt

Midfield
Days 16 & 17

Hellraiser 2: Hellbound – 7/10

Picks up where its predecessor left off and amps everything up a couple of notches. There are several scenes in this film that are nauseatingly vile. The ‘mattress’ scene was so disgusting I almost had to turn it off. Again, the people who created the set pieces in this film must all be insane. A great follow up.

Wish Upon - 2.5/10

Hilariously bad from beginning to end. Some of the plot contrivances are unbelievably shoddy. The death scenes are laughable and the dialogue is forced and awkward.

The whole 'be careful what you wish for' thing has been done to death already and this brings nothing new to the table. I'm a fan of the 90's schlock classic Wishmaster, which did this whole thing so much better.

It's a terrible film with some of the worst editing I've ever seen. They clearly had no idea where certain scenes should go and certain cuts are so incredibly abrupt.

Hard to believe that this was intended as a straight faced teen horror film. It could easily have been a comedy. The ending in particular got a huge belly laugh and a couple of rewinds.

Marty Moose

Striker
Next of Kin - obscure early eighties aussie horror film. Quite an interesting film, clearly influenced by kubrick and argento, and whilst being nowhere near as accomplished as either, it's still very much worth a watch for horror afficiadanos.

The Belko Experiment - enjoyable hour and a half, clearly identifable for anyone who has endured an office job

Annabelle creation, 7/10 decent enough horror sequel to the other 2 films
Child’s Play 2019 reboot, better than expected the different take on the original worked well actually 7/10

Fractured 7.9/10

Netflix. A full on thriller that will keep you guessing all the way through. One of Sam Worthingtons better films. Cant say too much about it without spoiling it but I highly recommend it.

DJ Doubt

Midfield
The Dead Don't Die
4/10
Tries to be so, so clever but absolutely fucking fails. No laughs, seems to be mocking zombie fillums, and the star- studded cast are wasted
Shite
This was directed by the same guy who did Paterson. A film in which nothing happens. Proper fart sniffing tripe. I dont think I can bring myself to ever watch this. Shame as the cast is amazing.

Sounds to me like One Cut of the Dead is easily the best Zombie related film for a quite a while. Essential viewing imo.
Day 18:

Don’t Look Now – 7/10

Much like the Exorcist, this filmed as a drama rather than a traditional horror film. It starts off with a chilling family tragedy and then follows two grieving parents as they move to the beautiful, yet haunting city of Venice.

It is a very clever choice to avoid using any subtitles for the Italian speaking characters, creating paranoia and making you feel out of your comfort zone.

This wasn’t at all what I was expecting, and I feel like I need to see it again to fully appreciate it. This is a very elegant but disturbing exploration of fate and foreshadowing with an ending that left me scratching my head.

Last edited:
"You're Next" batshit mental horror flick from 2011 about a family reunion gone horribly and horrifically wrong, I enjoyed it so i'd give it a 7/10. A few twists and turns and ingenious deaths, pretty scary in parts - gerrup !

DJ Doubt

Midfield
Day 19:

Ghost Stories - 8/10

A well written, finely crafted British horror film which is genuinely creepy. It feels like such a long time since we've had a film like this. I think any horror enthusiast who grew up on 70's/80's horror will enjoy it.

There are a few splashes of dark humour and the casting is superb. Paul Whitehouse was a particularly inspired piece of casting. He is such a talented character actor. I would love to see more of him.

The film uses some expert cinematography and lighting to 'trick' you into seeing things. At one point I was freaked out by what turned out to be car seat. It is atmospherically creaky and rusty. Jump scares are kept to a minimum and they are fairly effective.

It almost felt like a feature length episode of Inside No. 9 at times and it was co-written by Jeremy Dyson who worked on League of Gentlemen.

Day 19:

Ghost Stories - 8/10

A well written, finely crafted British horror film which is genuinely creepy. It feels like such a long time since we've had a film like this. I think any horror enthusiast who grew up on 70's/80's horror will enjoy it.

There are a few splashes of dark humour and the casting is superb. Paul Whitehouse was a particularly inspired piece of casting. He is such a talented character actor. I would love to see more of him.

The film uses some expert cinematography and lighting to 'trick' you into seeing things. At one point I was freaked out by what turned out to be car seat. It is atmospherically creaky and rusty. Jump scares are kept to a minimum and they are fairly effective.

It almost felt like a feature length episode of Inside No. 9 at times and it was co-written by Jeremy Dyson who worked on League of Gentlemen.
You're babbling a bit marra.

I'll have to rewatch as on the first watch I thought it was underwhelming.