The SMB Movie thread

DJ Doubt

Midfield
Will have to check out House. I remember that VHS cover from blockbusters :)
Just watched Parasite. I enjoyed it, but can't see why it is getting the almost unanimous praise it is. Typical of all Korean movies, it is overly long and swings between the genres at an alarming, jarring rate. Not bad, but certainly not the masterpiece it is being lauded as. 6.5/10

Having to wait till February to see this :evil:

Last edited:

cluffy

Striker
Joker 3/10
Doesn't work as a superhero film as nobody's got no super powers.
Doesn't work as a meaningful film as it's meaningless nihilism with a plot almost as predictable as the song choices.
Also, isn't funny in any way, unless you count the dancing which is up there (down there?) with Tobey Maguire in Spiderman for cringe factor.

DJ Doubt

Midfield
Ended up watching the Lambs sequels in the wrong order cos of the stupid, cheap box set...

Hannibal – 5.75/10

I don’t think Ridley Scott was the best choice of director for a sequel to such a perfect film. Scott tends to bloat his films out with needless guff. The first hour here is extremely slow and dull. Whilst he uses the gothic setting of Florence very well, what should be a very simple set up is convoluted.

Although the second hour is a vast improvement, it still feels oddly lacking. Julianne Moore is nowhere near as good as Jodie Foster and Ray Liotta is completely wasted. The choices they make for Lecter don’t seem to chime with the original film. At times it feels he is reduced to the role of pantomime villain and Scott seems to think he is cool rather than scary.

There’s a couple of interesting set pieces towards the end and seeing Oldman acting under layers of prosthetics is always enjoyable, but this is a film that I could’ve done without. It left my nipples feeling soft and unused.

jacko100

Striker
Ended up watching the Lambs sequels in the wrong order cos of the stupid, cheap box set...

Hannibal – 5.75/10

I don’t think Ridley Scott was the best choice of director for a sequel to such a perfect film. Scott tends to bloat his films out with needless guff. The first hour here is extremely slow and dull. Whilst he uses the gothic setting of Florence very well, what should be a very simple set up is convoluted.

Although the second hour is a vast improvement, it still feels oddly lacking. Julianne Moore is nowhere near as good as Jodie Foster and Ray Liotta is completely wasted. The choices they make for Lecter don’t seem to chime with the original film. At times it feels he is reduced to the role of pantomime villain and Scott seems to think he is cool rather than scary.

There’s a couple of interesting set pieces towards the end and seeing Oldman acting under layers of prosthetics is always enjoyable, but this is a film that I could’ve done without. It left my nipples feeling soft and unused.
Its a shit book tbf, I know what you're saying about scott but the source material he had to work with was rubbish. Would never have been made into a film except for the success of Silence of the lambs.

Wind Chill on the Horror channel last night. Two college students travelling home at Christmas get stuck and haunted by people who have died there in the past. Watchable enough. 6.5/10.

BIG BAZ

Striker
Joker ...was not really looking forward to this and probably would have sacked it off if the bairn hadn't wanted to see it but was pleasantly surprised...its a slow burner and at times ya thinking I wish summit drastic would happen in this flick to wake it up but ya realise it aint that type of movie...Phoenix plays the Joker superbly...a proper fucking heed the ball and it sets up future movies involving Batman and the rest...Really enjoyed it 8/10

Joker 3/10
Doesn't work as a superhero film as nobody's got no super powers.
Doesn't work as a meaningful film as it's meaningless nihilism with a plot almost as predictable as the song choices.
Also, isn't funny in any way, unless you count the dancing which is up there (down there?) with Tobey Maguire in Spiderman for cringe factor.
Didn’t realise it was a superheroes film....or a comedy.

Fuck sake, can I edit my previous post from 9 to 2/10 ffs ffs
Chappie 8.5/10

Starring Dev Patel of Hotel Mumbai.

Hugh Jackman

Sigourney Weaver

Directed by Neill Blomkamp

District 9

It really is a brilliant film.
Exceeleent film...I felt sorry for chappie 😳

Last edited: