The SMB Movie thread

Stephanie 9/10

Mystery, Thriller, Horror

After a mysterious global crisis, a young girl is left alone to hide from a malevolent power that stalks her home. Her parents eventually return and the struggle begins to save their daughter.

This is a brilliant film.

I would advise to watch this without seeing the trailer or any spoilers.

cluffy

Striker
The Warriors 8/10
Pretty fucking cool! Very comic book in a good way. Class Joe Walsh song at the end. Fantastic costumes

DJ Doubt

Midfield
Day 6:

Christine – 7.5/10

John Carpenter adapts a Stephen King novel about a car that was born evil. Filmed in the same neighbourhood as Halloween, this has all the trappings that define a great Carpenter flick. I particularly loved the use of old 50's/60's rock 'n' roll tracks made to sound sinister and creepy.

It's one of those films that should be awful but thanks to the craftmanship that went into its production, it is fantastic. It even features a typically brilliant performance from Harry Dean-Stanton.

The Fan (1996) - 5/10

On paper should have been a good film, Robert De Niro, Wesley Snipes and directed by Tony Scott, but just something missing throughout. Very forgettable film.

DJ Doubt

Midfield
Day 7:

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre – 10/10

An 83-minute-long soundscape from hell. A true horror masterpiece. It was banned for decades because the censors realised that no matter what they cut out of the movie, it didn’t stop it from being a terrifying, nightmare experience. The grainy, documentary style footage adds to the realism and even though I know it’s just a film, I can’t help but think that this is very close to what could happen in real life. I fail to think of anything that comes close to being this morbid yet engrossing at the same time.

JonMc

Striker
Us + Them (Roger Waters.)

Just a concert footage film but enjoyed seeing it cos I missed the tour. Politically poignant as you'd expect from Mr Waters.

DJ Doubt

Midfield
Day 8:

Tigers Are Not Afraid – 8/10

A Guilermo Del Toro-esque modern fairy-tale set against the harsh backdrop of Cartel ridden Mexico. The story follows 5 young orphaned children who are struggling to get through each day as they try to evade the local drug cartel. Much like Pan’s Labyrinth and Devil’s Backbone, this film uses real life atrocities to balance out the fantastical elements.

Every now and then a film will come along and completely catch me off guard. Seeing as I was streaming this on the horror site Shudder, I was expecting big scares but was surprised by how moving it was. The film does have scary moments but they’re a little bit too tame for me. It more than makes up for it by having huge heart and affection towards the children and their plight.

This is film that deserves more attention. A rare gem.

DJ Doubt

Midfield
Day 9:

The Gate – 6/10

Childhood nightmare fuel. Can’t believe that I had never heard of this until recently as it’s the sort of thing I would’ve loved as a kid. It’s another mid-eighties, kids on bikes film that Stranger Things clearly took a lot of inspiration from. Here two of the youngsters accidentally discover an opening to a dark dimension (not the upside down) at the bottom of the garden, unleashing a host of stop-motion creatures and demons. The final act plods along but up until then its very entertaining. Fans of old school special effects and classic camera trickery will enjoy this a lot and there's an impressive performance from a very young Stephen Dorff.

Streaming on Amazon Prime

Last edited:

Lexingtongue

Striker
Day 9:

The Gate – 6/10

Childhood nightmare fuel. Can’t believe that I had never heard of this until recently as it’s the sort of thing I would’ve loved as a kid. It’s another mid-eighties, kids on bikes film that Stranger Things clearly took a lot of inspiration from. Here two of the youngsters accidentally discover an opening to a dark dimension (not the upside down) at the bottom of the garden, unleashing a host of stop-motion creatures and demons. The final act plods along but up until then its very entertaining. Fans of old school special effects and classic camera trickery will enjoy this a lot and there's an impressive performance from a very young Stephen Dorff.

I wrote a short story that follows those plotlines pretty closely! :lol: I'll have to check that out and see how closely they tally...

Just watched Parasite. I enjoyed it, but can't see why it is getting the almost unanimous praise it is. Typical of all Korean movies, it is overly long and swings between the genres at an alarming, jarring rate. Not bad, but certainly not the masterpiece it is being lauded as. 6.5/10

Albay3037

Winger
Day 9:

The Gate – 6/10

Can remember watching that on video. If you want to watch another 80s horror classic, I would recommend....
House

Of Unknown Origin