The SMB Movie thread

maygo

Winger
Stan and Ollie
7/10

A nice little fillum, showing what happened once their fame bubble burst. Excellent sets, make up and acting- although Coogan sometimes sounds like Jud off the original Pet Semetary

jubblies

Striker
Alita : Battle Angel

Watched it last night in IMax 3D

It's obviously a shite fillum for bairns but also a visual phenomenon.
There's also a robot hooker spider thing in stockings who's a massive WAD.

Magnificent 10/10

Richy Fingers

Full Back
It's VOD Friday! :p

Load of fucking shite out today like. Neen of these look like they're worth watching.

The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then Bigfoot (Adventure/Drama) The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot (2018) - IMDb
A legendary American war veteran is recruited to hunt a mythical creature.

The Isle (Amazon, horror/fantasy) The Isle (2019) - IMDb
On a remote island off the west coast of Scotland in 1846 a heavy storm hits, causing a ship to sink. Three survivors row through a thick early morning mist, lost and disorientated. The mist begins to clear and The Isle appears before them.

The Final Wish (Horror) The Final Wish (2018) - IMDb
After the death of his father, Aaron returns home to help his grief-stricken mother and to confront his past. Going through his dad's belongings, he comes across a mysterious item that is more than it seems.

cont...

Berlin, I Love You (Drama/Romance) Berlin, I Love You (2019) - IMDb
Latest installment of the Cities of Love series, this collective feature-film is made of ten stories of romance set in the German capital.

High Flying Bird (Drama/Sport) High Flying Bird (2019) - IMDb
A sports agent pitches a rookie basketball client on an intriguing and controversial business opportunity during a lockout.

Anywhere With You (Drama) Anywhere With You (2018) - IMDb
Amanda and Jake are in love and want to start a new life in Los Angeles. Will they make the right decisions? The first 24 hours of their new life take them all around the city, bringing them more surprises and frustrations than expected.

That's yer lot. I can't even be arsed writing the rest out. It's all shite.

Fletch73

Full Back
The Breadwinner

Animation about an Afghan girl who pretends to be a boy so she can help look after the family after the Taliban arrest her dad. Nice enough story and some beautiful animation.

Canny/10
Two other animated films by that studio - The Secret of Kells (2009) and Song of the Sea (2014) - are even more beautifully animated. Recommend both.
Got a new one coming out this year called Wolfwalkers.

Fletch73

Full Back
Films watched in the last week or so:

Polar (2019) 4/10
A shit comic-book assassin thriller. But it has Mads Mikkelsen in it so it gets a couple of extra points.

The House That Jack Built (2018) 3/10
A bleak and disturbing serial killer film with a good performance from Matt Dillon in the title role. Then Lars von Trier disappears up his own arse for the last half hour.

Only God Forgives (2013) 9.5/10
Violent revenge thriller set in Thailand. My kind of film. Slow, thoughtful and visually stunning. Nicolas Winding-Refn is marmite for some but I love him.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018) 7/10
The true story of biographer Lee Israel who turned to forgery when the money dried up. Great performances from Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant which got them both Oscar nominations.

Papillon (2017) 6/10
Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malek take over the roles from Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman as two convicts trying to escape a French penal colony. Not a patch on the original.

Overlord (2018) 4/10
D-Day Nazi zombie film. The opening parachute drop was stunning but the script was by-the-numbers shite.

We're No Angels (1955) 7/10
Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov and Aldo Ray play convicts who escape on Christmas Eve. Hiding out in a store run by a family with plenty of troubles of their own they decide to help them out. An enjoyable old film, particularly the interplay between the three leads. The ending is utter balls.

HABA87

Winger
Vice.

What a snooze. No amount of quirky flashes of fishing or explosions is going to change that.
Thinking about turning it off. :neutral:

Just give Gotti a go, love gangster films but this had a poor rating and was slammed when it came out by critics. Not as bad as reviews suggest, but not a classic either.
Watchable though 6/10

maygo

Winger
The Last Exorcism
3/10

Utter shite. Only watched it because I found it on Blu-ray among a load of Nintendo wii games under my telly

The Wolf of Wall Street
9/10

Excellent, true- ish story of Jordan Belfort who made a fortune trading shares. Proving again that Di Caprio is one of modern cinema’s great actors, and not forgetting Margot Robbie shows EVERYTHING