The SMB Movie thread

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Junior Birdman, Aug 1, 2014.

1. leyburnrunner

leyburnrunner Central Defender

I think the actor you mentioned was Tom Hollander.

2. niceonemarra

niceonemarra Winger

Was that the crazy guy who that fat lass let in?

Ghandi Floss likes this.
  3. leyburnrunner

leyburnrunner Central Defender

English fella who goes bonkers, that's him.

4. mickyw

mickyw Goalkeeper

I thought the series were class, a prefect extension of the film. The only thing I couldn't understand was
    when milky sprogs up woodys lass, if that was me, and imagine it would be the same for most fellas, I would have killed him. I know he's gutted but in the next series they make up and everythings forgotten......that's just something I couldn't do like, I'd have layed that fucker down

Same here just realised it after watching it that last time, I was watching it thinking 'I'm sure I know that face' :lol::lol:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  5. niceonemarra

niceonemarra Winger

He acted superbly. I had no idea he was insane.

6. JonnotheMackem

JonnotheMackem Striker

That's who I meant. He was excellent.

7. Gentlemanspur

Gentlemanspur New Member

I doff my hat to you, Cockney Mackem. I gave a big guffaw at that.

I thought it was a ferocious movie about women in power. Wonderful stuff, and full of language that would make a sailor blush. And yes, I fell off my chair at the Emma Stone handjob scene.

My only quibble was with the history. The War of the Spanish Succession was boiled down to Tory resistance to a land tax, while our Dutch and Habsburg allies were not mentioned. The really strange omissions were those directly relating to the relationship between the Queen, Sarah Churchill and Abigail Masham. For example, the row about the Queen's jewels after the victory service for Oudenarde was left out. Similarly, the film gave the impression that Sarah was at the court all the time, when the historical lever that resulted in her falling from grace with the Queen was that she spent too long away from court.

But those are quibbles about what is otherwise a top-rate comic drama.

8. When I worked for ODEON, I wrote this review for LinkedIn

This Is England (Shane Meadows, 2006)

Wow, this is a film that pulls no punches. A true British classic in many ways, certainly an English classic!

Much like Trainspotting (1996), I refused to be taken in by the marketing and urban aura surrounding the film - but subsequently enjoyed it (much more), years after the hyperbole had died down.

Upon it's release, this would have been seen as a historical (weirdly-romanticised) view of 1980's Britain. However, watching it after the BREXIT tragedy - it takes on a wholly new and very uncomfortable facet.

[​IMG]

The nasty undercurrent of the National Front / BNP throughout the tale has protagonist Combo (Stephen Graham) and friends extolling the virtues of England and Englishness - even to the point of recruiting young Shaun (Thomas Turgoose) to play the part of the mouthpiece mascot who'd father had died fighting in the Falklands conflict.

Once numbers (in personnel) are gathered, they prey on the vulnerable easy targets of society in a brutal but cowardly way. No-one is safe from mass ignorance, with Combo ultimately blaming his upbringing (not himself) for his pathetic behaviour.
    The ominous pall of contemporary politics almost overshadows a great musical soundtrack and keenly-observed fashions of the 1980's - Ska Music, Doctor Marten boots, bleached-out jeans and sculpted hair. But it's the political implications and shocking relevance to TODAY that concerns me more than anything else.

[​IMG]
    The key scene is when the herd of self-ostracised individuals welcome the local National Front mouthpiece. His speech included denials of being racist, tales of a "lost nation", and - worst of all - a call to "take back control". Sound familiar?

[​IMG]
    The final scene has Shaun almost ashamed of the flag of St George, a present that he had once cherished. He's withdrawn to the safety of an environment he's familiar with, having fled the maelstrom he was part of - removing himself from society. Now that Cameron, Farage and their ilk have taken themselves out of the debate, doesn't this sound just a little familiar, too?

This SHOULD be considered a historical document, a look back on how bad sections of society WERE a generation ago. We should be watching this and thanking our lucky stars that such attitudes to race, immigration and colour are condemned to the past. After 23rd June 2016, are we so sure?

I REALLY hope that time proves me wrong, but I fear that This Is England is a look to the future, not a look to the past.

weebil64, mickyw and Gentlemanspur like this.
  9. mickyw

mickyw Goalkeeper

Mate that's a really well written review thanks for posting it, you should take Mark Kermodes job on the BBC :lol:

After watching the film, then series again I think Shane Meadows is up there as one of my favourite directors. There's something about his films that's so 'realistic'.

Ben Gardner likes this.
  10. Junior Birdman

Junior Birdman Striker

We're The Millers on TV last night. Enjoyed it far more than I was expecting. 7/10 for laughs.

11. errant

errant Striker

10/10 just for that scene...

[​IMG]

mickyw, Dan The Man, ajsafc and 3 others like this.
  12. HABA87

HABA87 Winger

Monsters and Men.

Low budget fillum relating to a fatal shooting by the police, and a couple stories spinning off that.

Reasonable, if a little slow and ultimately bot all happens and it's all over the shop. So not reasonable at all really.

Starring a bloke who sounds like Denzel. Turns out it's his son. :lol:

2/10 should have stuck with Corrie.

niceonemarra likes this.
  13. Dennis

Dennis Central Defender

Dead Mans Shoes anarl

Even his lesser known films are canny

mickyw likes this.
  14. mickyw

mickyw Goalkeeper

Yeah Dead Man's Shoes is class anarl, watched A Room for Romeo Brass as well the other night, that must have been one of his first films and that was canny too

15. Dark Traveller

Dark Traveller Striker

Red Sparrow - 4/10

Couldn’t get into this last night. Jennifer Lawrence’s acting seemed... bit stiff and wooden.

16. niceonemarra

niceonemarra Winger

Hacksaw Ridge 9/10 what a remarkable story.

17. Black hawk down 8/10

Relentless - how only 19 Americans soldiers died is nigh on unbelievable.

18. niceonemarra

niceonemarra Winger

Didn't know that was a true story might have to watch it again.

19. Aye

20. niceonemarra

niceonemarra Winger

Rust Creek 8/10