The SMB Movie thread

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Junior Birdman, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Fletch73

Fletch73 Full Back

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
    8/10

Over the course of a night's drinking, a bitter older couple use the young couple accompanying them to settle scores.

Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor burn up the screen by spending virtually the whole 2 hours, arguing, manipulating and spitting bile at each other. Given that we know just how volatile their relationship off screen was it's interesting to observe just how real some of this must have been for them.

Couldn't take my eyes off it, although, probably 20 minutes too long.

Pants likes this.
  2. kamaras-tash

kamaras-tash Winger

Den Of Thieves - 6.5/10

Was a decent watch was hoping for better though

3. HABA87

HABA87 Winger

Butler arguing with the FBI bloke was cringeworthy as owt. The end was absolute chod as well.

4. kamaras-tash

kamaras-tash Winger

I have no memory of the argument, I had been drinking like :lol:

5. bernardbresslaw

bernardbresslaw Striker

Off the scale excellent? No chance of a mark oot of ten?

6. ErichZann

ErichZann Winger

9/10 for me personally but I could understand if others thought it was boring - subtitled too.

bernardbresslaw likes this.
  7. kamaras-tash

kamaras-tash Winger

Ingrid Goes West - 7/10

8. Fletch73

Fletch73 Full Back

Amadeus (1984)
    8/10

A (very) fictionalised biography of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, directed by Milos Forman, who passed away yesterday.
    Winner of the Oscar for Best Picture, Director, Actor, Screenplay + 4 others. Plus shitloads of other awards - Baftas, Golden Globes etc.

Tom Hulce and F. Murray Abraham are extraordinary as Mozart and his rival Antonio Salieri.
    The rest of the cast are also great. The movie looks sumptuous. The score is, naturally, terrific.

My main problem, however, is the length - 3 hours.
    It could do with being 40 minutes shorter. Especially as it had almost zero historical accuracy.

Fetch Fletch likes this.
  9. rockaway

rockaway Striker

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Iron Man and the rejuvenating hair piece help the British Police of the late 1800's crack some serial killer's crime spree. Guy Ritchie directs, so Sherlock is a total badass and it's shot in quite a funky way with some cool slow mo's and unnecessary fight scenes. Featuring the meanest mean girl, a retired wrestler & that British guy with the good voice who's in loads of things.

Was alright, 7/10 - easy watching, enjoyed watching Holmes' flashforwards, the chemistry between Holmes & Watson was good, bit blurt, few funny bits.

10. kamaras-tash

kamaras-tash Winger

The Ritual -7.5/10

11. Dagzd1973

Dagzd1973 Midfield

Red Sparrow 2018 HC HDRIP just dropped :D

HABA87 likes this.
  12. Fletch73

Fletch73 Full Back

Gorky Park (1983)
    6/10

Three dead bodies turn up in a Moscow park and a Russian police officer is handed the job of investigating a case where the KGB could be involved.

Excellent source material, screenplay by Dennis Potter, William Hurt, Lee Marvin and Brian Dennehy in lead roles, cold war subject matter. All seemingly up my street.
    Sadly this was VERY underwhelming. Plodding and dull for large parts. A big disappointment.

13. Lexingtongue

Lexingtongue Striker

The book was great but the film was pretty dismal. Remember being very disappointed with it. Just had an air of cheapness about it.

14. Blues Brothers 7/10

Dagzd1973 likes this.
  15. Fletch73

Fletch73 Full Back

Red Sparrow (2018)
    8/10

Jennifer Lawrence is the prima ballerina turned soviet spy. But whose side is she really on?

Got to say I really enjoyed this.
    Lawrence is a great actress but she can sometimes be a bit over the top in her roles. However, in this she plays a cold and emotionally controlled character and she does it very well. Her accent it pretty decent, too.
    I picked who the mole was disappointingly early, though.

People going into this expecting a kind of female Bourne film might be disappointed though, as there isn't really a huge amount of action.

16. Dagzd1973

Dagzd1973 Midfield

I wouldn't gan that far like. More like a 6/10 imo. Bonus point for Jlaws arse.

17. scott934

scott934 Striker

A Quiet Place - Tense horror/thriller about a family 90 days into an Alien/Creature invasion, who attack based on sound. Reminded me of Signs and 10 Cloverfield Lane. 7/10.

18. Beetle juice

7/10

Tim Burton is one weird fucker mind

19. Fletch73

Fletch73 Full Back

Spiderman Homecoming (2017)
    7.5/10

The best Spiderman movie since Spiderman 2.
    Good fun.

20. Dagzd1973

Dagzd1973 Midfield

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018