The SMB Movie thread

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Junior Birdman, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Andy_Roker1983

Andy_Roker1983 Striker

Must admit I’ve found that, it’s what put me off the new Cloverfield film and the fact everyone on here said it was shit.

2. Lexingtongue

Lexingtongue Striker

Cloverfield was enjoyably awful, actually. It can't be taken seriously, mind, it's too full of holes and continuity errors.

Andy_Roker1983 likes this.
  3. Andy_Roker1983

Andy_Roker1983 Striker

Might give it a go i enjoyed the first two.

4. scott934

scott934 Striker

It got a cinema release in the US like, and some good reviews. I've avoided reading too much about it though.

5. General Zod

General Zod Midfield

You were never really here - a bit too weird & artsy for me, not particurly easy to watch. I wonder if the critics would have rated it so highly if it was directed by a man. 6/10

6. Lexingtongue

Lexingtongue Striker

I thought it was excellent and that is a rarity for me. It really fired my imagination. It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoyed it.

It was great.

Andy_Roker1983 likes this.
  7. Andy_Roker1983

Andy_Roker1983 Striker

Cheers, I’ll give it a go.

8. scott934

scott934 Striker

Agreed, watched it this afternoon. Would recommend.

9. steadybreeze

steadybreeze Central Defender

Baby Driver....great movie, smooth and funny, some great tunes then really ramps up the tension over the last half hour. 8/10

New Blade runner, slow and immersive with a fantastic score, saw it in IMAX and didnt think it would enjoy it on the telly at home but I did even knowing the twist. 9/10

About an hour into Star Wars Last Jedi and can't go any further...terrible script like it's written by a 12 year old. Fraggle rock meets Space balls. 4/10

10. Cypher

Cypher Winger

The Shape Of Water.

Nothing ground breaking in terms of the storyline but very well acted and it has excellent cinematography.

8/10

11. niceonemarra

niceonemarra Winger

Faired income, it was visually great and quite surrealy funny in parts but overall the Cloverfield series needs a better Director.

12. Teejay

Teejay Winger

The Outsider on Netflix. Very, very ordinary, but if you like your gangster flix you might enjoy it.

13. Lexingtongue

Lexingtongue Striker

I was talking about Annihilation there, not Cloverfield.

14. TIMMY

TIMMY Midfield

Silver Linings Playbook - 7/10.
    Jennifer Lawrence - wad.

Brotherhood (Tae Guk Gi) - 8/10.
    Story of 2 brothers during the Korean War, some great battle scenes.

Annihilation - 7.5/10.
    Enjoyed this, i think. My head still hurts a bit.

15. errant

errant Striker

do you not get the feeling with that film that edgar wright got his favourite songs together on one mix tape, then tried to figure out a plot line that would go with the tunes - the film didnt work for me, of which i couldnt quite put my finger on why other than they were trying too hard with the soundtrack?

steadybreeze likes this.
  16. steadybreeze

The music did get a bit obtrusive at times i agree. still enjoyed the movie though.

Just watched Annihilation enjoyed that as well, great sound and visuals. I think i understood the ending as well which is good for me! 7/10

17. Lexingtongue

Lexingtongue Striker

A lot of questions left unanswered for me but I really enjoyed it. Loved the atmophere it created. I'm pretty sure I got the ending too.

The leftover mutations and alien matter had to be completely destroyed once the hybrid aliens had taken on human form in order for the hybrid aliens to survive outside the shimmer.

Or so I thought.

steadybreeze likes this.
  18. Darkest hour. Excellent. 9/10

Point off for inaccuracies but a very enjoyable watch

19. 1985 original Day of the Dead. Most underrated and my favourite of the original Romero Dead trilogy 10/10

20. steadybreeze

Alex Garland great at creating an atmosphere..28 days/weeks later, Sunshine & Ex Machina. Some of the visuals reminded me of Sunshine as well & i thought Natalie Portman was good.

How i saw it.
    That's about how i saw it that once the male & female had made it back to society the shimmer had done it's job. I didn't think the girl was an 'Alien' at first though, never thought that they might have swapped when her and the freaky faceless double collapsed in the lighthouse, the movie seemed to cut a bit out then. The glass of water at the end and the eyes finally gave it away.