The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowtown (AKA The Snowtown Murders). Based on true events.

Absolutely superb. The guy playing 'John' was brilliant, brutal, disturbing. As was the film.

Best film I've seen for ages. 9.5/10.

The last 5 I've watched:

The Trial of the Chicago 7 - great. Sacha Boran Cohen was excellent and I love Aaron Sorkin's dialogue. 8.5/10

Personal Shopper - Kristen Stewart is a personal shopper for a celeb whilst also being some sort of medium. Quite scary in parts. Decent watch. 6/10

Eden - story of two French DJ's and the rise and fall of their fame etc. Not bad. 6/10

I Care A Lot - another decent film, ending wasn't the best.
Was hoping for Peter Dinklage to torture her to death with his swooping emo fringe.
7/10

Billie Eilish : The World's A Little Blurry - good documentary about her. Knew very little about her or her music. The weight on her young shoulders is huge and she deals with it very well and seems to be the one pulling the strings despite being 17/18. 8/10

Absolutely superb. The guy playing 'John' was brilliant, brutal, disturbing. As was the film.

Just watched this film. Very grim viewing. Agree with your rating.

Just watched this film. Very grim viewing. Agree with your rating.

Seen a documentary on the guy, did he use barrels for body storage?

Just watched the trailer and read up on it.

Looks like be a good film will give it a watch tomorrow.

Going to watch that dissident tonight I think still haven't got round to watching it.

The Mauritatian 6/10

The true story of Mohamedou Ould Salahi, one of many held for years in Guantanamo Bay without ever being charged for any crime, from director Kevin McDonald (Touching The Void, The Last King of Scotland). Steadily paced and understated with solid performances from a decent cast, in particular Tahar Rahim and a strong, eyebrow-raising denouement that almost but not quite raises the film into being better faire than it is. Completely decent if not spectacular. Recommended if like myself you hadn't heard of or were unfamiliar with the ins and outs of the case.

Hope its better than the atrocious cash-in novel. I doubt it.
My main problem was the main actor looked nothing like Anthony Hopkins. He got the voice right but that wasn't enough for me. It was a very well made and acted film with a good story and plenty of insane gore.

It was the same when I watched Looper, the younger Bruce Willis looked nowt like him, still a good film though.

The Mauritatian 6/10

The true story of Mohamedou Ould Salahi, one of many held for years in Guantanamo Bay without ever being charged for any crime, from director Kevin McDonald (Touching The Void, The Last King of Scotland). Steadily paced and understated with solid performances from a decent cast, in particular Tahar Rahim and a strong, eyebrow-raising denouement that almost but not quite raises the film into being better faire than it is. Completely decent if not spectacular. Recommended if like myself you hadn't heard of or were unfamiliar with the ins and outs of the case.

Sounds interesting - what did you watch this on mate?

The Hot Spot (1990) absolute by the book potboiler about a drifter coming to town and shenanigans ensue. 5/10 but 10/10 for a young Jennifer Conelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back