The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used the weekend to revisit a few films I hadn't watched in yonks

The Untouchables - Thought I'd give it a spin in the light of Connery's passing. It's a much simpler film that I remember it being - the story is told at a frenetic pace with absolutely no filler and sometimes in todays age it's refreshing to watch something so old fashioned that doesn't hang about. I forgot how little De Niro is in it, he turns up for about five minutes of screen time.

The Last Action Hero - Haven't watched it since it first came out and I was a kid, where I'd instantly dismissed it as not being anywhere near gratuitously violent enough. I loved it this time around, it was a lot more intelligent than I as expecting and now I get all the in jokes throughout it was much more entertaining.

True Lies - Another one in the Arnie Film4 season. Still can't really get away with this one, despite it being one of his more well regarded works, and a decent cast.

Midsommar - Never seen it before and really don't know what to make of it. It was pretentious, at time laughable, and despite the mammoth run time deliberately obtuse in its narrative exposition. All that being said I still enjoyed it bizarrely.

If you haven’t done so, read the book. Although I do like the film, there is quite a lot more detail in book that didn’t make it into the film version. Also read “Artemis” by Andy Weir - just as good.
The Martian is a great book. Artemis, however, I thought was incredibly poor. A case of second book syndrome for me, unfortunately.

If you haven’t done so, read the book. Although I do like the film, there is quite a lot more detail in book that didn’t make it into the film version. Also read “Artemis” by Andy Weir - just as good.

Aye, read the book when it first came out. It was really well written, explaining what he was doing

Aye, read the book when it first came out. It was really well written, explaining what he was doing
The part where he allocates the word 'ninja' as a unit of counting made me rage at the forced Internet meme-ry of that section, like. :lol: It's a really riveting book, mind, incredibly well written for an initially self-published effort.

Unhinged ( 2020 ) - 7/10

Perfect Saturday night flick,daft Hollywood thriller but it never lets up and is a perfect 90 minutes. Last I saw of Russel Crowe he had a bit of a kite but fuck me hes piled it on now haha

Enjoyed that but the ending was a bit daft - both of them had just been hoyed arl owa the house by a serial killer and the coppers just sent them on their merry way. I'd give it a solid 7/10 as well.

The New Mutants - 1/10 for the bonny lasses. Millennial X-men ffs. Nil story, nil tension, nil point (apart from the one I gave earlier).

The devil all the time

hallelujah another decent Netflix film after the Irishman.

really enjoyed this -great story and I thought the performances were absolute quality from Holland, Clarke,skarsgard and pattison.
A quality 8.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back