The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unhinged 4/10

Reasonably entertaining and a cracking runtime of 80 odd minutes. But haway Russell Crowe won an Oscar before he ate himself. He's much better than this.

Currently watching Carrie, gonna watch dead zone after. Just watched Salem’s Lot mini series from 77, hasn’t aged well.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (Netflix). Latest film by one of my favourite writers, Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Anomalisa, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind).

The last 15 minutes in particular go into Mulholland Drive territory of bonkers. Didn't really get the premise/twist until I read about it afterwards. Reflected better on it after the penny dropped. Jesse Plemons is so good. 7/10

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (Netflix). Latest film by one of my favourite writers, Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Anomalisa, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind).

The last 15 minutes in particular go into Mulholland Drive territory of bonkers. Didn't really get the premise/twist until I read about it afterwards. Reflected better on it after the penny dropped. Jesse Plemons is so good. 7/10
We had this on a few weeks ago but totally forgot about it. 🤷‍♂️

Edit we didn't, totally wrong film! But I have seen the trailer for this one, on the watch list.

The one we watched had Michelle Williams in.

Last edited:
The Deep End Of The Ocean (1999). Wife’s choice last night. Michelle Pfeiffer and Treat Williams. Pfeiffer’s young son is kidnapped while out shopping and he’s found nine years later in the same town. Michelle Pfeiffer gives an emotional performance. 7/10

Green Book (2018) Finally got round to watching this last week. Brilliant film. Viggo Mortenson and Mahershala Ali both excellent in their roles. 8/10

Hollow Man (2000) Another twist on the invisible man story. First saw this when it first came out of the cinema and hadn’t realised it is now 20 years old! Thought I would give a watch last night as wife said she’d never seen it. Kevin Bacon, Elizabeth Shue and Josh Brolin star. Bacon loses the plot when he becomes invisible. 6/10

The Babadook - 7/10. Watchable. Not as terrifying or genre redefining as I’d heard/read about. Good performance by the lead actress. A good story dealing with the nature of grief.

A few from the weekend.

Nocturne

A talented young classical musician begins to usurp her more successful sister by way of supernatural influences whilst mentally unravelling. Canny psychological horror with in same vein as Black Swan or Susperia. Good performance by Sydney Sweeney in the lead role.

7/10

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Excellent telling of the story of the Chicago 7, a group of unrelated anti Vietnam war activists put on trial after protests at the democratic convention descended into rioting. Very well placed and written by Aaron Sorkin, also his second directorial outing, with a strong ensemble cast featuring assured performances from Frank Langella, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Mark Rylance, Eddie Redmayne and Sascha Baron Cohen doing well in a serious role if you're sick of Borat.

8/10

Inheritance

Lily Collins is a lawyer from a wealthy family whose late father leaves her a key to a bunker in the garden where she discovers a man who claims to have been kept prisoner by her Dad for over 30 years. Decent premise and execution, alright for a bit light entertainment, though probably best not scrunitised to hard.

6/10

Swallow

Woman who marries into a rich New York family finds herself detached and depressed and starts eating sharp objects as a means of coping and asserting some control. Really. Actually a very decent, immersive indie flick with strong acting that lingers for a while after watching.

7/10

The Battle of Jangsari

True story about a group of Korean student soldiers who are given 10 days basic training and sent to storm Jangsari beach as a diversion from the Incheon assault in the Korean war. Very cliched and formulaic. Daniel Day Lewis and Meryl Streep could not make the shoehorned scenes between the American general and a intrepid war reporter work. Megan Fox and the fat lad from CSI fare no better.

5/10

The Dead Zone (1983) starring Christopher Walken. Expected it to be better given the lead actor and the director being David Cronenberg. I’d still say it was decent if not fairly obvious but I’d give it 6/10.

Borat 2 very good 7/10

Cure
Japanese detective investigating related murders. Interesting premise around the killings and the director injects a good amount of Japanese movie creepiness

Directed by Kiyoshi Kirosawa, for those interested 9/10.

Last edited:
Watched Game Night last night, a bit like an American Brian Rix farce but not too bad to be honest. Some sharp humour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back