The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ninth Configuration

Genuinely don't know what score to give this. Absolutely bonkers film by the writer of The Exorcist, but nothing like it or anything to do with it apart from expanding one minor character. Really quite odd.

Watched quite a few over these lock-down days.

Official Secrets - Enjoyed it. I like these real-life story type films. 7/10
The Good Liar - A good old romp. Saw the twist from pretty much the beginning but that didn't detract from the story overall. 8/10
Summer of 84 - Loved it. Reminiscent of all those 80s movies that engaged me as a kid. Loved the dark ending. 9/10
Little Joe - Utter, utter, utter shit. Just doesn't know where it is going and the acting is abysmal. Avoid at all costs. 2/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Contagion
6.5/10

Basically, a dramatisation of what’s garn on in the world right now. And the last scene is utterly mental

Vivarium - creepy idea, but too literal in its message and doesn't have enough about it to warrant its run time. 6/10

Dark Waters - Excellent. Love these investigative journalism movies ala Official Secrets and Spotlight. Any recommendations for similar? 9/10

Midway

Canny war film. 7/10

Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer

Canny hard to watch at times - Gosnell was a bit of a wrongun. Fim was ok 6.5/10

Underwater 8/10

The lead actress is brilliant, the sets are brilliant, the screenplay is very good, the acting is great. I thought its was a good film overall. I've seen better though ;)

Summer of ‘84
5/10

Thriller/ horror for teenagers. Pretty dull, but I liked the ending
Thought it was great. Made me nostalgic for all those similar films from my childhood. Rarely make them like that any more.

I found it more like a Black Mirror episode.
I don't think it was. It had no technological bent. Maybe Twilight Zone/Outer Limits for its outlandish bizarreness. It did remind me of a film that really freaked me out in Cube. The whole confinement/no escape thing completely unnerves me.

I don't think it was. It had no technological bent. Maybe Twilight Zone/Outer Limits for its outlandish bizarreness. It did remind me of a film that really freaked me out in Cube. The whole confinement/no escape thing completely unnerves me.
The Cube is an excellent film. I will definitely watch Vivarium again.

The Boy 2, not great, stupid ending like most horror films these days. It’s as if they don’t know how to end the films so just do something stupid. 5/10

The Aeronauts (2019) Canny decent film, partly based on James Glaisher‘s attempt at breaking the altitude record in a gas balloon in the 1860s. Starring Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones. Apart from a few glaring plot holes etc was a decent watch. 6/10

The Boy 2, not great, stupid ending like most horror films these days. It’s as if they don’t know how to end the films so just do something stupid. 5/10
Brahms 2. I watched that the other day, the guy with the shotgun was Finchieeee from the office he also starred in VVitch.
It was a bland film but I've seen worse. The ending was daft. Good to see Katie Homes (cruise or whatever) again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back