The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleepers
Still very good after about 8 watches. Cracking cast. 8.5/10

JFK
Forgot how good the cast was. Been about 10 years since I saw it. 9/10

Sunday in the Country - Cheap seventies revenge movie which is basically Ernest Borgnine torturing Michael J Pollard for about an hour, however nowhere near as exciting as that sounds 5/10
Ravagers - Obscure also seventies post apocalyptic film with Richard Harris, killed 90 minutes but nowt flash 5/10
World Gone Wild - Continuing the post apocalyptic theme with this late eighties effort. Adam Ant in a truly terrible performance as the lead villain but it gains a bonus point for being a Bruce Dern vehicle 5/10
Savage Streets - Absolute sleaze fest eighties revenge movie with Linda Blair. Enjoyably naff and John Vernon from Animal House is in it and is in a hilariously bad mood throughout, as if he's genuinely angry his career had ended up with him appearing in shit like this 6/10.
The Conversation - Brilliant Coppola slow burn thriller, they really don't make them like this any more 9/10
The Wolf of Snow Hollow - Not entirely successful mismash of quirky comedy and werewolf horror, but it was off kilter enough to hold the attention throughout and I did quite enjoy it 6/10
Possessor - Sci-fi thriller from Brandon Cronenberg - you can clearly see his old man's influence, thought this was really very good and one of the better films I've seen this year 8/10

Waiting for the barbarians

Depp, rylance, pattison all quality

Slowish story about an outpost on the edge of the empire - goes tore up for the magistrate running it.
Canny 6.5/10

John Wick 3
Seriously, three films just because a gang of blokes kicked his dog and stole his car at the beginning of the first one...

Christmas Chronicles 2.

Now, I'll generally give owt with Kurt Russell in a go, and I didn't mind the first one for what it was, but I've sat and watched this with the bairns today and it's absolutely shite.

Mank - 7/10
Gary Oldman excellent as Herman Mankiewicz, the wry alcoholic who wrote Citizen Kane. Beautifully shot in 1930s Hollywood style by David Fincher. Solid support from a great cast.

Honey Boy - 8/10
Autobiographical drama from Shia LaBeouf about an actor in a rehab facility dealing with his mental health and drinking whilst looking back on his childhood and his uneasy relationship with his father.

Lost Transmissions - 7/10
A record producer with schizophrenia goes of his medication and is helped by a young musician he took an interest in. Simon Pegg very good in a serious role. Juno Temple an excellent British actress who improved everything she's in.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things - 7/10
Charlie Kaufman latest about a young couple travelling to the sticks to meet the lad's parents whilst internally the lass considers ending the fledgling relationship. Kaufman revisiting themes of isolation, yearning and memory in a surrrealist take on the novel, particularly so as the film wears on.

The Last Picture Show - 8/10
Still a classic.

Mulan (2020) Quite an enjoyable film to watch, very different to the animated version (which I still prefer). Slow to start off but once it gets going is a canny story. To be honest cannot understand all the hate it received. 6/10

The World‘s Fastest Indian (2005) True story of New Zealander Burt Munro’s attempt to break the land speed record on a 1921 Indian Motorbike in 1967. Antony Hopkins gives a brilliant performance as Burt. 8/10

justice League Dark: Apokolips War. (2020). The last movie in the DC Animated Universe. Quite brutal and doesn’t hold any punches in some of the fight scenes. 7/10

Mank - 7/10
Gary Oldman excellent as Herman Mankiewicz, the wry alcoholic who wrote Citizen Kane. Beautifully shot in 1930s Hollywood style by David Fincher. Solid support from a great cast.

Honey Boy - 8/10
Autobiographical drama from Shia LaBeouf about an actor in a rehab facility dealing with his mental health and drinking whilst looking back on his childhood and his uneasy relationship with his father.

Lost Transmissions - 7/10
A record producer with schizophrenia goes of his medication and is helped by a young musician he took an interest in. Simon Pegg very good in a serious role. Juno Temple an excellent British actress who improved everything she's in.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things - 7/10
Charlie Kaufman latest about a young couple travelling to the sticks to meet the lad's parents whilst internally the lass considers ending the fledgling relationship. Kaufman revisiting themes of isolation, yearning and memory in a surrrealist take on the novel, particularly so as the film wears on.

The Last Picture Show - 8/10
Still a classic.
I'm halfway through Mank and slightly disappointed. God knows why, I'm the queen of b&w films and am familiar with most of the characters too. It's stunningly recreated but I think the script is what's letting it down for me. Will persevere of course but not sure it will change my opinion.

I'm halfway through Mank and slightly disappointed. God knows why, I'm the queen of b&w films and am familiar with most of the characters too. It's stunningly recreated but I think the script is what's letting it down for me. Will persevere of course but not sure it will change my opinion.
I know what you mean. It was around the halfway point when I was feeling as though I went finish the film feeling a little underwhelmed but I think it ends quite well.

I know what you mean. It was around the halfway point when I was feeling as though I went finish the film feeling a little underwhelmed but I think it ends quite well.
Does it? So worth continuing? That was it really, a bit underwhelmed.

Brilliant! There is a second one, cannot recall what it's called but it hasn't surfaced on the main viewing platforms yet (that I have seen).
Peninsula.

I hated Busan. Thought it was really clichéd and overlong. Films that out stay their welcome is a trait of Korean cinema. Can I recommend the Night Eats the World as a fresher take on the zombie genre. Was on Netflix when I watched it.

Peninsula.

I hated Busan. Thought it was really clichéd and overlong. Films that out stay their welcome is a trait of Korean cinema. Can I recommend the Night Eats the World as a fresher take on the zombie genre. Was on Netflix when I watched it.

Looks like it's on prime, is it Korean?
Looks like it's on prime, is it Korean?

Ah, I've seen it, thought it was canny.

Last edited:
Peninsula.

Sounds a bit like #alive another Korean film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back