The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been a few decent films on film 4 recently.

3 Billboards - excellent and surprisingly funny 9/10

Hell and high water - good heist film and Jeff Bridges is really good in it. 8/10

Logan - excellent. Best super hero film. Really dark and get to see Patrick Stewart use the c word. 9/10.

Yeah, not seen it for years but it's a bit too overwrought for me, plus not a Liz Taylor fan. Clift and Liz were great pals. I prefer him in The Heiress with Olivia De Havilland, where he makes a total wrong un somehow sympathetic.
I'll check that out. I enjoyed him in The Misfits.
I prefer Liz in colour like Cat On A Hit Tin Roof. Although Who's Afraid of Vriginia Woolf is class too imo.

I'll check that out. I enjoyed him in The Misfits.
I prefer Liz in colour like Cat On A Hit Tin Roof. Although Who's Afraid of Vriginia Woolf is class too imo.
Have you seen anything with the wonderful Gene Tierney in it? Hugely underrated imo. I can highly recommend Laura or Leave Her to Heaven where her character does something similar to Clift in A Place in the Sun and was absolutely chilling. Also a rare noir in colour.

Have you seen anything with the wonderful Gene Tierney in it? Hugely underrated imo. I can highly recommend Laura or Leave Her to Heaven where her character does something similar to Clift in A Place in the Sun and was absolutely chilling. Also a rare noir in colour.
Heaven Can Wait only so far.
I'm thinking of watching all the Bogie stuff next. I enjoyed High Sierra recently and I loved In A Lonely Place.

Heaven Can Wait only so far.
I'm thinking of watching all the Bogie stuff next. I enjoyed High Sierra recently and I loved In A Lonely Place.
Rewatched In a Lonely Place recently myself. Possibly Bogart's best role for me. Also The Roaring Twenties, mainly for Cagney although Bogart is a co-star, Dark Passage which is mad but enjoyable and They Drive By Night, which also has the great Ida Lupino in it. I've been busy!

The Big Clock (1948). Canny noir about a magazine editor's life unravelling over 48 hours. 3 and a half* out of five.

Homicide (1991), David Mamet penned Jewish cop struggles with his identity mystery. 3*

Bigger Than Life (1956) School teacher James Mason loses his shit when he starts taking newly invented pills for his chronic illness. 3 and a half* out of five.

Knives Out.
Went to pics to see this. I found it too slow and also too clever by half. Also, found Daniel Craig's southern accent jarring. Not for me. 4/10.

You Don't Nomi - really good doc about the making of Paul Verhoeven's Showgirls and how it's achieved cult status. 4 stars out of 5.

Misbehaviour - misfiring Brit flick about the Miss World competition and women's libbers opposing it. 2 stars out of 5.

Grabbers - surprisingly decent Irish alien invasion comedy. 3 stars out of 5.

You Don't Nomi - really good doc about the making of Paul Verhoeven's Showgirls and how it's achieved cult status. 4 stars out of 5.

Misbehaviour - misfiring Brit flick about the Miss World competition and women's libbers opposing it. 2 stars out of 5.

Grabbers - surprisingly decent Irish alien invasion comedy. 3 stars out of 5.
Where did you catch the first one? Cinema/stream/dvd? Wouldn't mind seeing it

The night clerk - thriller about a young lad with Asperger wwitensiing a under, the Sheridan is quality. 6.5/10
the villain - Craig fairbrass at his cockney gangster best, British crime thriller, usual stuff. 4/10 but I’ll promote it to 6.5/10 for Craig’s brillaint use of the word curnt.
true blue - shite 4/10. Cliched as fuck.
L’immortale

8.5/10. For gommarah fans, quality and what an ending man.

Last edited:
The Last Days of American Crime - 1/10

The one is generous. Looking for a mindless Sunday action film and I stumbled across this from Netflix. It was like a whole cast and crew of nobodies had spent 3 nights getting pissed and coked up without sleeping and watching crime films and Tarantino movies before coming up with this.

After about 20 minutes I was watching out of morbid curiosity to see how bad it was going to be. The story made no sense and jumped all over the place, the acting was absolutely dreadful and a daft amount of over the top violence and explosions which just looked bad.

lts actually quite remarkable that a film this bad could be made. I honestly believe that anyone can be a writer or actor after seeing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back