The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Parasite at home last week. Went to the cinema to watch the black and white version tonight. Not that either version alters my score, but it’s easily 10/10. Acting is superb, story is fantastic. Hands down the best film released in the past few years.

Went to the cinema to watch the black and white version tonight.
genuine question, why would they show a black & white version? i've seen it myself, agree its great but im not entirely sure the cinematography lends itself to that format?

genuine question, why would they show a black & white version? i've seen it myself, agree its great but im not entirely sure the cinematography lends itself to that format?
Can’t say there is a reason to be honest. The film doesn’t rely on colour to portray the story or setting, akin to something like Blade Runner 2049. The film does work well in black and white because of how minimal the settings are, with essentially 3/4 of the film taking place in one setting.

Basically both versions are enjoyable mate if you fancied checking it out. You aren’t missing anything depending on which version you see. For me going to see it in black and white was second nature, it was just the chance to watch it in cinema. Didn’t even realise it wasn’t in colour until booking the tickets. It’s probably my favourite film in the past decade.

Saw Parasite at home last week. Went to the cinema to watch the black and white version tonight. Not that either version alters my score, but it’s easily 10/10. Acting is superb, story is fantastic. Hands down the best film released in the past few years.
It’s good, but steady on like.

The Tax Collector - by the same fella who directed (suicide squad - disappointing) and Fury - (great film). He seems to make a good film looking at his back catalogue or films that don’t quite work. This is somewhere in between. It follows two enforcers (known as "tax collectors") working for a Los Angeles crime lord. It has the same feel as Training Day. Shia LaBeouf plays the main fellas side kick, he portrays a Mexican head case, with the physique of Rodney trotter and the cauliflower ears of a french rugby player???? He does seem to pull it off though.

Very violent..

A generous 7/10

Down loaded some movies to watch while away last week
7 days at Entebbe; Didn't realise Benjamin Netanyahu's brother was the only member of the IDF killed in the operation 7/10
The Informer; Fairly predictable 6/10
The Coldest Game; Confused the hell out of me, Bill Pullman was excellent though; 6/10
The Gentlemen; Standard Richie fair, Michelle Dockley auditioning for a role in Eastenders, Hugh Grant was the pick of the bunch 7/10

Last edited:
I really enjoyed it. Same basic premise as the film with a bit of a murder mystery thing thrown in. If you liked the film you’ll like the series I’d say.

I enjoyed the series, but the casting was terrible. I just couldn't get away with the "hero" that looked like Don Goodman.

Next episode of my film podcast available to download now. Lots of nerdy film chat including trips to the cinema again finally, Swedish vampire classic Let The Right One In, special guest interview about films we were (inappropriately) shown at school, Alan Parker's Angel Heart, David Fincher's unrealised Captain Nemo project, and a remake hatewatch of the 2015 version of Point Break

Double Reel Film Podcast

What happened to Monday?
Sc-Fi thriller set in the future, families are restricted to one child due to overpopulation.
Really enjoyed it.
Recommended.
8/10

Luce (2019)

A child soldier from a war torn country is adopted by white American parents. He grows up to become an outstanding high school student, but he ends up in conflict with his history teacher who accuses him of harboring violent views on the basis on one of his essays.

One of those films watched on a whim that I had very little knowledge of and thought I'd give it a go on account of a quality cast and good reviews and I ended up being blown away by it. Excellent, complex story well directed with incredible acting from Naomi Watts, Tim Roth and Octavia Spencer as you'd expect, but Kevin Harrison Jr is the standout, both sympathetic and malevolent in equal measure.

Well worth a watch.

8/10
Canny
7/10. Not sure about Tim Roth’s accent, nut very interesting film, cracking performance from watts.

Down loaded some movies to watch while away last week
7 days at Entebbe; Didn't realise Benjamin Netanyahu's brother was the only member of the IDF killed in the operation 7/10
The Informer; Fairly predictable 6/10
The Coldest Game; Confused the hell out of me, Bill Pullman was excellent though; 6/10
The Gentlemen; Standard Richie fair, Michelle Dockley auditioning for a role in Eastenders, Hugh Grant was the pick of the bunch 7/10

I thought Colin Farrel was the best easily.

Calm the phuck fuck down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back