The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Help
8.5/10

Excellent.
A white author documents the tales of the black house help workers in Mississippi in the middle of the last century

Here's a few from the past month or so...

Beautiful Boy - Steve Carrel plays the father of a drug addict son, attempting to help his recovery. A hard watch but thought it was San excellent film. 9/10

The Professor and the Madman - Amazon Prime drama with Mel Gibson and Sean Penn about creating off the Oxford English dictionary. 4/10

Greta - Think this went under the radar a bit. Very good psychological 'horror'. 7/10

Book Club - Utter shite about women meeting up over the years via a book club. It was the wife's turn to pick FFS. 2/10

Blinded by the Light - Young Asian lad growing up in racist Britain ISAs inspired by Bruce Springsteen songs. 6/10

Cider with Rosie - Most recent version of this take on country life and a young lad growing up experiencing first love etc. 5/10

Midsommar - Wickerman ripoff that starts well but gets silly. 5/10

Parasite - Think I reviewed properly previously. Enjoyable South Korean horror but don't think it was Oscar winner material. 7/10

A Walk in the Woods - Robert Redford as Bill Bryson, deciding to walk the Appalachian Trail. Unfortunately not very interesting! 4/10

The Upside - story of wealthy quadriplegic being cared for by an ex-con. Sounds shit but quite enjoyable. 6/10

Danny Collins - Al Pacino as an ageing singing superstar who realises he's a bit of a fake and should have stuck to being more real. Pretty poor. 5/10

In the Name of the Father - Story of the Guildford Four starring Daniel Day-Lewis. 7/10

Fisherman's Friends - Cornish fisherman become singing sensations. Yes, the wife picked it. Not as shite as some she does. 5/10

Staten Island 8/10 (aka little new york)

Ethan Hawke stars. Very enjoyable crime flick that has intertwining stories, 3 main stories about normal people who get caught up in mob stuff. Great stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Da 5 Bloods (netflix) - starts off well in first 15/20 minutes but quickly declines into something tragic.

Basically some US war vets go back to vietnam to find some gold bars they buried deep in the jungle during the war.

Do not watch!

3/10 (generous)

Da 5 Bloods (netflix) - starts off well in first 15/20 minutes but quickly declines into something tragic.

Basically some US war vets go back to vietnam to find some gold bars they buried deep in the jungle during the war.

Do not watch!

3/10 (generous)
I started watching this, for the Vietnam angle, as you mention it started off ok enough, but becomes utter tripe quickly, still haven't finished it.

Outpost 8/10

Its been a while since I watched a war movie that gave me goose bumps when the end credits rolled but this one certainly did. Hacksaw ridge was the last film to do that. This film stars Clint Eastwood's son and the more well known actor Orlando Bloom. Basic plot as a group of American soldiers are stationed in the most stupidly positioned Outpost that leaves them as sitting ducks to the Taliban as the Outpost is completely surrounded by huge hills on nearly all sides. The first half of the film does well at drawing you into the characters and the action is enough to keep you interested as the plot unfolds. The second half is all out war watching the soldiers defending their Base against 100s of Taliban who have them surrounded. Remember to watch the end credits!
  • Summary: Really good movie

Outpost 8/10

Its been a while since I watched a war movie that gave me goose bumps when the end credits rolled but this one certainly did. Hacksaw ridge was the last film to do that. This film stars Clint Eastwood's son and the more well known actor Orlando Bloom. Basic plot as a group of American soldiers are stationed in the most stupidly positioned Outpost that leaves them as sitting ducks to the Taliban as the Outpost is completely surrounded by huge hills on nearly all sides. The first half of the film does well at drawing you into the characters and the action is enough to keep you interested as the plot unfolds. The second half is all out war watching the soldiers defending their Base against 100s of Taliban who have them surrounded. Remember to watch the end credits!
  • Summary: Really good movie

There are a few real life documentary's, i think in a series on YouTube on this post. I've not watched the film, but it seems they have condensed everything over a several month period into a pitch battle over a few days??? The FOB was in a shit spot, but they did have an other "outpost" further up in the hills they rotated men with once a week (I think). I'll give it a watch, but always with anything Hollywood touches from the USA military point of view, I'm skeptical from the off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back