The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it baffling, like banshees of inisherin it asks so many unanswered questions I’m left thinking wtf was that all about!? Blanchett is excellent, but overall it was a miss for me. At least banshees had Jenny the Donkey.
Jenny was the best thing about it. Looked great and I really wanted to enjoy it as I loved watching the two main lads in In Bruges.

Some very good articles on the internet explaining and theorising. Enjoyed it personally.
Im kinda disappointed in a film that needs further dissection. All the questions I have I could have a stab at (who stole the book, the metronome, the playdoh, the neighbours), I just prefer a story with an explanation. The film itself, the style the performances and especially the music are awesome.

I’ll google it, like I had no ideas banshees was a pastiche of the Irish civil war (apparently).

Megan 6/10
Quite predictable and felt like a cross between i-robot and chucky, a few creepy bits and some attempts at comedy. Worth a watch

Reactions: mux
To Leslie ... Powerful, Andrea Riseborough deserves her Oscar nomination, maybe hard to watch if you have been directly or indirectly affected by addiction, especially alcoholism 8 / 10

Reactions: mux
Some very good articles on the internet explaining and theorising. Enjoyed it personally.
im marking tar down even further after reading some of the theory's... someone reckons that the 3rd act is actually a dream ala Bobby 'fking Ewing in Dallas! its on the cusp of black swan (saved by the portman kunis scenes) and the absolute abortion that is fight club.

The Whale...wow this is a very powerful film which left me filled with all sorts of emotions. Basically about a recluse overweight father making connections with his daughter. If Brendan Foster does not get an award for his lead part it would be a travesty. All the actors take great parts, takes alot for me to have tear in my eye with a movie but this movie did me. 9/10

The Whale...wow this is a very powerful film which left me filled with all sorts of emotions. Basically about a recluse overweight father making connections with his daughter. If Brendan Foster does not get an award for his lead part it would be a travesty. All the actors take great parts, takes alot for me to have tear in my eye with a movie but this movie did me. 9/10

Didnt even know the geordie bastard had gone into acting.

Plane
6.5/10
Enjoyable Gerard butler action romp, where he plays a pilot who flies into bad weather and crash lands on a wild island in the southern seas

Knock at the Cabin
4.8/10
Boring

Candyman (2021). Some good camera work and genuinely creepy shots spoiled by awful CGI blood and a really wonky story. There's a new Candyman spectre and in life, he just so happened to wear a donkey jacket and have a hook for a hand, canny coincidence that. 6/10

Saw Triangle of Sorrow last night. It’s a well made film which makes some useful, if familiar, observations of global class inequalities. It’s also extremely gross - and funny at times.
Overall, Triangle of Sorrow looks like the sort of film which seems important upon its release (people will want to get behind the message) but which will be soon forgotten.

Saw Triangle of Sorrow last night. It’s a well made film which makes some useful, if familiar, observations of global class inequalities. It’s also extremely gross - and funny at times.
Overall, Triangle of Sorrow looks like the sort of film which seems important upon its release (people will want to get behind the message) but which will be soon forgotten.
Sounds like a cynical rip off of the recently released Triangle of Sadness.

Plane
6.5/10
Enjoyable Gerard butler action romp, where he plays a pilot who flies into bad weather and crash lands on a wild island in the southern seas

Knock at the Cabin
4.8/10
Boring
Been looking forward to watching Knock at the Cabin like.

Tremendous film. Bet you never spotted the plot twist until the last 15 mins
I didn't have a clue 🤣
Plane 5/10

Crap

plane crashes after being hit by lightning, a criminal is on board who looks like Derek Chisora, hostages,gun fights,loads of deaths and then the pilot played by Gerard butler fixes the plane enough to escape whilst being shot at

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back