The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctic
Starring Madds Mikkelson.

Man finds himself alone after crashing his plane in the Arctic. What follows is a really excellent survival story.

Very much recommended and a solid 3.5/4 from Mux.

Available for free on Amazon Prime.

I enjoyed that one. I cannot remember, did it ever say at some point how long he’d been on his own before we, the viewers, joined him?

Thinking it over, if it was me in that position, I’d probably not make it beyond day two!

Belfast - 7.5/10. A beautifully filmed, well acted, slightly romanticised view of family life in Belfast just as the Troubles started. Written and directed by Belfast boy Ken Branagh.

I enjoyed that one. I cannot remember, did it ever say at some point how long he’d been on his own before we, the viewers, joined him?

Thinking it over, if it was me in that position, I’d probably not make it beyond day two!
He used to mark every day on that piece of metal or whatever it was when he went up the hill to use the transponder. It showed at least a few weeks I'd say.

So aye id be long dead by that time as well :lol:

Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021)

Angelina Jolie plays a forest ranger/firefighter who gets caught up in an assassination attempt on a bloke and his son.

Pretty much a by the numbers thriller. Decent entertainment but nothing special.

It's a respectable 2.5/4 from Mux.

The Harder they Fall - Was OK, although I though it went on a bit long, a few days later I remember it for the soundtrack rather than the film story itself. 6.5/10

Titane. Not sure what the fuck I've just watched there :D
Worth a watch though mate? trailer looks a bit bonkers.

Dune 2021.. enjoyed it, reminded me of the Prometheus movies and the latest Bladerunner in that its stunning to look at but not quite a great movie. Good cast, all do their stuff but the script is a bit naff in parts, bit too modern American for me. Its a bit of mess of cultures, there's Aboriginal/Maori, African, Arabic, Mongolian throat sounds...the baddies are for the most part bald and white (Gateshead?). Anyway the bloke who plays Paul is good, Rebecca Ferguson is fine. Looking forward to the next one. 7.5/10

Hotel Coolgardie. Aussie movie/documentary about life for a couple of female backpackers from Finland who end up at an arse end of the world mining town in the Aussie outback. Nothing like i expected, a fly on the wall documentary i thought was going to be funny rfomp/laughing at the local rednecks etc but ends up quite disturbing, some crazy people living in the outback, most drinking themselves senseless to forget stuff. Recommend a watch if you can find it (yify is a good place to start) 7.5

Worth a watch though mate? trailer looks a bit bonkers.

Dune 2021.. enjoyed it, reminded me of the Prometheus movies and the latest Bladerunner in that its stunning to look at but not quite a great movie. Good cast, all do their stuff but the script is a bit naff in parts, bit too modern American for me. Its a bit of mess of cultures, there's Aboriginal/Maori, African, Arabic, Mongolian throat sounds...the baddies are for the most part bald and white (Gateshead?). Anyway the bloke who plays Paul is good, Rebecca Ferguson is fine. Looking forward to the next one. 7.5/10

Hotel Coolgardie. Aussie movie/documentary about life for a couple of female backpackers from Finland who end up at an arse end of the world mining town in the Aussie outback. Nothing like i expected, a fly on the wall documentary i thought was going to be funny rfomp/laughing at the local rednecks etc but ends up quite disturbing, some crazy people living in the outback, most drinking themselves senseless to forget stuff. Recommend a watch if you can find it (yify is a good place to start) 7.5

It's on kodi.

I've been there I think (if it's in WA near Kalgoorie) might check that out.

Rewatched Heat at the weekend 10/10.
Yes mate near Kalgoorie, give it a go id like to hear what you thought of it. Look out for the bloke 'Pikey', thought i'd met some nutters working at Pontins but he's not right!

Yes mate near Kalgoorie, give it a go id like to hear what you thought of it. Look out for the bloke 'Pikey', thought i'd met some nutters working at Pontins but he's not right!
I met a fair few characters out there.
I met a gold prospector who did it solo, so would be in the bush by himself most of the time and that would drive anyone nuts imo. He was friendly at first but then started rambling and talking about crazy nonsense. One of the other lads in the bar left when he saw him pull in outside "Not this crazy xxxx, I'm leaving".
Found out later that his wife had been shot dead by accident years before while hanging out the washing on the clotheline :(

I met a fair few characters out there.
I met a gold prospector who did it solo, so would be in the bush by himself most of the time and that would drive anyone nuts imo. He was friendly at first but then started rambling and talking about crazy nonsense. One of the other lads in the bar left when he saw him pull in outside "Not this crazy xxxx, I'm leaving".
Found out later that his wife had been shot dead by accident years before while hanging out the washing on the clotheline :(
Yeah there's a reason most people get away and work places like that i reckon, most of the charactors in the town seem ok till they've had a few.

Not saying that's you though :)

Finally got around to watching The Hunt on Amazon Prime last night, well worth a go if you can be bothered to keep up with the subtitles as it's mostly in Danish.

Heartbreaking and based on a true story. I cried snot at the end.
I can't watch stuff that is likely to be that emotional, I actively avoid films like that :lol:

Anyone seen the new Guy Ritchie film Wrath of Man? It's on Prime, I'll probably give it a go this week if it's any good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back