The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Guilty - starring Jake Gyllenhaal.
He plays a demoted police man, working as a 911 call operator, basically takes a dodgy call and has to help the person out n sh*t.
In the same vein as buried with Ryan Reynolds and phone booth with Colin Farrell, It builds the tension with a twist at the end.
Worth a watch if you have nothing else to watch, but not a classic by any means.
6/10 for Gyllenhaal’s performance.

The Guilty - starring Jake Gyllenhaal.
He plays a demoted police man, working as a 911 call operator, basically takes a dodgy call and has to help the person out n sh*t.
In the same vein as buried with Ryan Reynolds and phone booth with Colin Farrell, It builds the tension with a twist at the end.
Worth a watch if you have nothing else to watch, but not a classic by any means.
6/10 for Gyllenhaal’s performance.
Planning to watch this tonight. I know Fuqua's made his fair share of turkeys but I enjoyed The Equalizer films and Training Day was brilliant. Not expecting it to be at that level but as you say should be decent viewing.

Went to the cinema for the first time in ages last week, decided spur of the moment to see Copshop and thought it was meh.

Though the ridiculous over the top action in the last 20 minutes was fun.

Bored today so watched a couple. Malignant - thought it started fine but that reveal and the last 25 minutes :eek: :lol:

Balanced it off with My Spy, big Dave Bautista showing us he can act, ish. Liked it though

The Green Knight

New on Amazon Prime.

King Arthur's headstrong nephew (Dev Patel) embarks on a daring quest to confront the Green Knight, who appears to be a tree that can ride a horse.

Quite beautiful to watch and Patel's character is flawed but you invest in him throughout the film.

I've never seen anything quite like it. It's like part King Athur, part Robin Hood, part Lord of The Rings, part Big Fish.

An enjoyable watch and recommended. Alicia Vikander plays his love interest in various forms throughout and is decidedly beautiful.

It's a foxy 3/4 from Mux.

Last edited:
Bored today so watched a couple. Malignant - thought it started fine but that reveal and the last 25 minutes :eek: :lol:

Balanced it off with My Spy, big Dave Bautista showing us he can act, ish. Liked it though
Bat shit crazy. I thought the film itself was quite good but the reveal made it better than that

Bone Tomahawk

Western style crazy film, almost in a Tarantino style. Not a billion miles away from Django Unchained.

The violence is right in your face and brutal, just like Cell Block 99 and exactly as @Motor City Cobra described it.

The film literally begins with a brutal scene, I'm talking within the first 5 seconds. Never experienced that before.

Very good and once again I'm pleased I took a recommendation from this excellent thread.

It's a bone curdling 3/4 from Mux.
Now get dragged across concrete watched. 😎😎

Reactions: mux
The Many Saints of Newark
Very good 4/5.
Different to what I thought it would be, basically all based around a central character who we've heard about before but doesn't feature in the show.
Brilliant acting performances.
I'm nitpicking but the only thing that confused me a bit was the ages of some of the crew, Pussy is grown up when Tony is a kid? Silvio seems way older than Tony as well.

Very good 4/5.
Different to what I thought it would be, basically all based around a central character who we've heard about before but doesn't feature in the show.
I'm nitpicking but the only thing that confused me a bit was the ages of some of the crew, Pussy is grown up when Tony is a kid? Silvio seems way older than Tony as well.
Look like Made to tv film on the trailer.

Very good 4/5.
I've not seen it yet but Silvio was clearly older in the series aswell I thought. Pussy not so much mind.

Very good 4/5.

You reckon it'll be worth a watch for someone who's never seen an episode of Sopranos? I like the look of the trailer but would take forever to go through and watch the whole series 1st

You reckon it'll be worth a watch for someone who's never seen an episode of Sopranos? I like the look of the trailer but would take forever to go through and watch the whole series 1st
I'd say watch the series anyway because it's probably the best (with The Wire).
But yeah you could watch the movie then the series, there's plenty of references to the series but you'd get them in reverse when watching the show if you know what I mean.

I'd say watch the series anyway because it's probably the best (with The Wire).
But yeah you could watch the movie then the series, there's plenty of references to the series but you'd get them in reverse when watching the show if you know what I mean.

It's something I've been wanting to watch for ages ( along with The Wire as well ) it's just so many episodes to catch up on :lol:

The Green Knight

New on Amazon Prime.

King Arthur's headstrong nephew (Dev Patel) embarks on a daring quest to confront the Green Knight, who appears to be a tree that can ride a horse.

Quite beautiful to watch and Patel's character is flawed but you invest in him throughout the film.

I've never seen anything quite like it. It's like part King Athur, part Robin Hood, part Lord of The Rings, part Big Fish.

An enjoyable watch and recommended. Alicia Vikander plays his love interest in various forms throughout and is decidedly beautiful.

It's a foxy 3/4 from Mux.

3 out of 4?! What kind of scoring system is this?!

3 out of 4?! What kind of scoring system is this?!
Ive already had this with the awkward fucker. 😀😉😎
It's something I've been wanting to watch for ages ( along with The Wire as well ) it's just so many episodes to catch up on :lol:
I caught up with both over the last few year.

Loved the wire and proper watched every episode, I found myself forward winding a lot of the sopranos, relieved it ended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back