The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watched the Johnny Worricker trilogy which popped up recently on netflix, Bill Nighy as an ageing spy/intel analyst (more Smiley than Bond) who gets a folder which could bring down the government and goes a bit rogue. The movies are Page Eight, Turks and Caicos and Salting the Battlefield.

Le Carre lite, but still enjoyable. Nighy is ideal in this role and it is always good to see Rachel Weisz, Winona Ryder and Helena Bonham Carter!

7/10 for the series

If you like Bill Forsyth films, the rarely shown That Sinking Feeling is on the iPlayer now. Essentially it's the cast of Gregory's Girl in a 1970's unemployment ravagef, dark, dank Glasgow trying to find a surefire way to make money. It has all the odd quirks and offbeat humour you associate with Forsyth. Ideal Sunday afternoon viewing.

Logon or register to see this image

I'm not a fan of light-hearted comedies but managed to watch it all the way through. It had plenty of laughs but its only a 6/10 from me. I gave it an extra point for the nods to the original zombie films.
The Dry.
Aussie filum & it's excellent - really good thriller with a couple of twisty-turny bits.
Definite 9/10.
I'll check that one out. I've always been a fan of Eric Bana since watching Chopper 👍

Last edited:
If you like Bill Forsyth films, the rarely shown That Sinking Feeling is on the iPlayer now. Essentially it's the cast of Gregory's Girl in a 1970's unemployment ravagef, dark, dank Glasgow trying to find a surefire way to make money. It has all the odd quirks and offbeat humour you associate with Forsyth. Ideal Sunday afternoon viewing.
I've been wanting to watch this again for years. Many years ago I saw a play at the Edinburgh festival with the Gregory's Girl/Sinking Feeling cast too. Cheers.

Is tinker tailor soldier spy any good? Or a boring confusing mess? Looking at reviews and it seems either one or the other

Got through a few on Netflix recently...
Run
A bit predictable, Sarah Paulson’s good, but rather typecast in these roles, 5/10
News of the world
Tom hanks cool as owt, his young kid sidekick was class as well, very good, 8/10
In the name of the father
Didn’t see this 1st time round, story of the Guildford four, enjoyed 8/10
Trial by fire
True story, jack O’Connell accused of killing his kids in a fire, ends up on death row, canny, 7/10
Art of self defence
Jess Eisenberg plays the nerd who turns Karate kid. A darker and weirder cobra Kai 7/10
Hostiles
Christian bale is great in this, it’s slow but in a good way, the pick of the bunch, 9/10
I see you
There’s always a dud, this was it. Lasted 45 minutes, Pure shite 1/10.

Sound of metal

canny deep drama about a drummer and recovering addict who loses his hearing And how he deals with it.

brilliantly filmed in terms of helping you understand what’s going in in the lads head As he loses his hearing and learning to cope.

Riz Ahmed has to be one of the top actors around at the moment, Utterly believable.

7/10 for the film
10/10 for Riz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back