The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Great Silence (1968 / Dir. Sergio Corbucci), classic spaghetti western ripped to fuck by Tarantino for The Hateful Eight. 4/5

John wick 4 - very good, everything you need from a JW movie, 2h49m it never drags and pauses for breath when it needs to. Thought Laurence Fishburne was underused. Some great set pieces and cinematography. 8.5/10

John wick 4

some cracking action scenes , loved the one where he was in the house and the view was from above ( like the ceiling was taken off ) as he was moving room to room. Class.

However after 2 hours I was desperate for it to end. Too long for me.

nut solid 6.5/10

A Man Called Otto
8/10

Very good Tom Hanks fillum, whereby he plays a retiring miserable old man living in a suburb street. Hankies for your lass, I just had summit in my eye

Traffic
Douglas, zeta jones and Del toro

About the 5rh time I’ve seen this over the years. 3 stories inter twinning about a new drug tzar in the states , fighting the futile war on drugs and the cartels.

Del toro tremendous as usual. Cracking performance from Douglas also.

Great ending.

8.5/10
Traffik the C4 mini series this is based on is worth a look.
👍

John Wick 4 - You know what you are going to get, still enjoyed it, which says a lot about the fourth film in a series. 7/10
Ending was good.
Was going to see this at the cinema at the weekend, but it finished *everywhere* on Thursday.
2 local places ONLY have the Mario Film on this Saturday, one single film. Wierd!

Some I watched last month:

Infinity Pool [2023] 6.5/10
Mia Goth and Alexander Skarsgard in Brandon Cronenberg's violent horror. Love Mia Goth, as usual, but this wasn't fully formed.

Tar [2022] 9/10
Loved almost everything about this. Blanchett is amazing.

Sharper [2023] 6.5/10
A slick con-artist film with an excellent cast. But as with all films in this genre it has to have a satisfactory final act with a convincing twist and this doesn't. A shame as the set-up was good.

Operation Fortune [2023] 7/10
Guy Ritchie and Jason Statham in spy/action film. Not top level Ritchie but I found it enjoyable. Aubrey Plaza is 🔥

A pleasant surprise given some reviews. Cameron still needs to employ better scriptwriters and a more ruthless editor as it's miles too long, but it's stunning to look at.

Babylon [2022] 6/10
Damien Chazelle's birth of Hollywood epic. An hour too long and too one-note in tone and pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back