The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watched Operation Fortune, the new Guy Ritchie flick. Seemed different to his normal style, which I like. Hugh Grant plays a similar role to his role in The Gentleman and Statham plays, well, Statham. A slightly comedic shot at Bond I think, might be wrong, didn't quite hit the mark for me.

Out in cinemas next week, then on DVD

BFI 4K remastering of Dance Craze, the concert film of the 2 Tone Tour - Specials, Madness, Selector. Showing in Durham next week for one night

Prey - 7.5/10. Good if pointless addition to the franchise. Way better than some of the AVP ones and some nice references to the original. Much better than I expected and doesn’t outstay it’s welcome.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantomania - Tiring of these Marvel films now. watching them is going through the motions, bored of the Multiverse or the mention of it and it's not really taken off yet. This was the quantum realm and still shoved in. 5.5/10

65 - Basically Alien Adam Driver crashes on Earth and has to complete a 15km tough mudder with dinosaurs over 2 days to get to another part of his crashed ship whilst being burdened with a 9 year old girl who can't understand a word he says.

5-10 felt it was too short and also got confused as they started in what seemed a jungle then ended up on a beach in Scotland halfway through.

Decision to Leave [2022]
8/10

An insomniac detective investigates the suspicious death of a man on a mountaintop. Soon, he begins to suspect the deceased’s wife while being unsettled by his attraction to her.

Beautifully shot, beautifully acted, probably a 9 on repeat viewing.

Decision to Leave [2022]
8/10

An insomniac detective investigates the suspicious death of a man on a mountaintop. Soon, he begins to suspect the deceased’s wife while being unsettled by his attraction to her.

Beautifully shot, beautifully acted, probably a 9 on repeat viewing.
Saw the trailer, cinematogrophy looks stunning. Reminds me of a modernized Hitchcock.

Thought Cocaine Bear was OK, all very tongue in cheek and the writing could have been better. However the acting was awful by pretty much the whole cast, including Liotta in his last movie. Struggling to get over a 5 for this.

Violent night - 7.5/10 nice addition to the feel good Christmas movie canon, with some lovely gratuitous violence chucked in for very good measure.

Operation Fortune - Not as good as The Gentlemen, Jason Stratham is Jason Stratham, Hugh Grant seems to be slipping into these new age Hugh Grant roles. Passes the time, but kind of forgettable. Overall 5.5/10

Thought Cocaine Bear was OK, all very tongue in cheek and the writing could have been better. However the acting was awful by pretty much the whole cast, including Liotta in his last movie. Struggling to get over a 5 for this.
Thanks, I have it but might give it a swerve.
Watched a man called Otto, Hanks Brill as usual 9

A Man Called Otto (2022) - 7/10 - Decent re-make of the original Swedish movie/book. Not sure it was needed but I guess some people are put off by subtitles and Hanks is good, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back