The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plane

Gerard Butler is the pilot who crash lands a commercial plane on a remote island ran by gangs. He must band together with a convicted murderer on board to help get the passengers and themselves off the island. Good fun, and the plane crash is legitimately anxiety inducing. I like Butler, he’s found a niche for himself with these sort of films and there’s a market for it.

7/10

Ratings for several other movies I've watched and not previously bothered to add on here. All from 2022 I think.

Sam & Kate - 6/10 - Father and son date a mother and daughter. Not as exciting as it might sound! Stars Dustin Hoffman and Sissy Spacek with their real life children playing the parts.

See How They Run - 6/10 - Movie of a real life murder whilst the actors are rehearsing for the opening of the Mousetrap play. Maybe a bit like Knives Out mixing the comedy with the drama and investigation.

My Neighbour Adolf - 7/10 - A bit odd bit I quite enjoyed it. An old man suspects his new neighbour is Hitler and follows him try to get evidence etc.

Amsterdam - 5/10 - Think there was a bit of hype around this but it flattered to deceive for me. I've forgotten the plot as it left now impression on me!

Close - 8/10 - Sad tale of two young lads who spend all their time together and then when they start senior school drift apart due to being accused of being gay. Subtitled.

The Menu - 6/10 - Maybe OK to suspend reality for a while and just watch something ridiculous! Famous chef invites reviewers to an island to experience his new menu but it all goes a bit Pete Tong.

All Quiet On the Western front - 7/10 - Well made war movie and a bit of an epic but not quite as good as I thought. Felt a little bit cheap at times compared to say Dunkirk or 1917. Said of course not maybe a little clichéd with the ending.

You people netflix 3/10
Utter gash. Jonah hill and Eddie Murphy career lows. Useless and to see it at no 1 shows the quality of netflix right now. Abysmal

The Plane - Butler being Butler but an entertaining movie. Thought the anti-English comment 3 minutes in was a bit off and also wrong, but hey ho

The Man from Nowhere - akin to a Korean version of Taken with involuntary organ donation supplanting prostitution as the bad guys motivation. Worth a watch if you enjoyed Taken.

Empire of Light (2022) - 6.5/10 - Olivia Coleman stars as the manager of a cinema in the 1980's. The story revolves around her personal sadness and mental health issues, 80's racism and ultimately hope for the future. Wasn't quite the story I expected, I was thinking more Cinema Paradiso, but it was OK. Coleman pulled her usual sad type faces and turned in a decent performance.

To Leslie (2022) - 7/10 - Great performance from North East actress Andrea Risebrough as a US lottery winner who blows it all and becomes an alcoholic. A frustrating watch as I'm sure we all know people like that who keep throwing away chance after chance of help. Still, a good indie movie which has obviously stirred up the Oscar nominations as well.

Empire of Light (2022) - 6.5/10 - Olivia Coleman stars as the manager of a cinema in the 1980's. The story revolves around her personal sadness and mental health issues, 80's racism and ultimately hope for the future. Wasn't quite the story I expected, I was thinking more Cinema Paradiso, but it was OK. Coleman pulled her usual sad type faces and turned in a decent performance.

To Leslie (2022) - 7/10 - Great performance from North East actress Andrea Risebrough as a US lottery winner who blows it all and becomes an alcoholic. A frustrating watch as I'm sure we all know people like that who keep throwing away chance after chance of help. Still, a good indie movie which has obviously stirred up the Oscar nominations as well.

Watched empire of light at weekend...was dull as dishwater

Plane

Gerard Butler is the pilot who crash lands a commercial plane on a remote island ran by gangs. He must band together with a convicted murderer on board to help get the passengers and themselves off the island. Good fun, and the plane crash is legitimately anxiety inducing. I like Butler, he’s found a niche for himself with these sort of films and there’s a market for it.

7/10
Enjoyed it ,A great Saturday night beer and pizza movie .

I didn’t mind To Leslie at all but I thought it was nothing flash. Marc Marin’s accent not the best. Obvious from the controversy that the nomination is more to do with the directors friends in high places. Although the lead is very good, and I’d rather an indie make waves than some daft super hero film.
The Plane - Butler being Butler but an entertaining movie. Thought the anti-English comment 3 minutes in was a bit off and also wrong, but hey ho
Said the same thing, any need like Gerard? Low blow

Tell No One [2006] 8/10
The film follows Dr. Alex Beck, who is still haunted by the murder of his wife eight years prior. Then he receives an email seemingly from her...

Overall, a gripping thriller that weaves a complex web of intrigue and suspense, keeps the tension high and action moving at breakneck pace.
The film's intricate plot twists keeping you guessing until the very end.

House of Gucci [2021] 7/10
The true story of how Patrizia Reggiani plotted to kill her husband Maurizio Gucci, the grandson of renowned fashion designer Guccio Gucci.

More fur than a pack of wolves and more accents than the Eurovision Song Contest.
Jared Leto is incredible and everyone else is very good, but the pacing is way off and it feels edited to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back