The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

All quiet in the western front - netflix 2022 version.

4 young Germans lads go to the front in ww1. Powerful, haunting and showing the horrors of that war in the trenches. Ffs.

Brilliantly filmed and great performance.

A stunning but sad 10/10 for me.

3 Million died In that western front trenches. For 100’s of mtrs here and there over a few year.
Agreed.

Brilliant.

Violent Night - Santa goes batshit with the bad guys mainly with a sledgehammer. Utterly mental, plot we all know from all action films before, also some nods to other Christmas action films (deaths), wastes an hour or so 6.5/10.
Saw last night was very funny and very violent in parts.
The wonder... film about a young girl fasting in Ireland on Netflix, utter pile if you know what

Last edited:
Have to agree with you on Black Adam. Took the Grandsons on their recommendation as they love this sort of stuff. I thought it was crap with a poor plot and all CGI effects and blatantly setting it up for a sequel literally within 20 minutes in. Asked the Grandkids and they both said it was poor and wouldn't be bothered about wanting to see Black Adam 2 or whatever name they will give it.

Do Revenge - Netflix

Teen comedy take on "Strangers on a Train". Probably a smidge too long (every film is nowadays though), but really enjoyed it. Very much a kind of Mean Girls mixed with Heather's type vibe, but very funny in parts and a decent enough story, without taking itself too seriously. Mind, not a single person in it looks young enough for high school (but again, that's always the case).

8/10

Emancipation

Apple TV

Will smith, based on true story about a slave sold to the confer army who tries to make his ways back to his family at the cotton plantation he was at as Lincoln announces freedom, but he’s stuck in confederate state

Superb, Will Smith will be up for an Oscar (well he would have been if he hadn’t gone on like a bairn last year) good pacing, cinematography is beautiful in my uneducated opinion.
(Love Ben foster like)

8/10

Last edited:
Do Revenge - Netflix

Teen comedy take on "Strangers on a Train". Probably a smidge too long (every film is nowadays though), but really enjoyed it. Very much a kind of Mean Girls mixed with Heather's type vibe, but very funny in parts and a decent enough story, without taking itself too seriously. Mind, not a single person in it looks young enough for high school (but again, that's always the case).

8/10

Great recommendation! The film length was interesting as it sort of hinted at what was coming but I enjoyed how it went quite dark in the second half.

Finally got round to watching a Christmas "classic".

Elf.

Ridiculous plot with a typical American schmaltzy ending.

LOVED IT! :lol:
For the first time? It feels like I grew up watching that film but I didn't, it came out when I was an adult and yet seen it probably 50 times now

Great recommendation! The film length was interesting as it sort of hinted at what was coming but I enjoyed how it went quite dark in the second half.

Yeah, I'd agree. I suppose if you cut the time down you've got to get rid of some scenes which are superfluous, like the Sophie Turner bit which was brilliant. Agree with you, enjoyed dark it was and how, basically, the lead characters aren't particularly nice people (they're actually quite bad people).

It’s not okay 2022, can’t believe I’m gonna say this but I really enjoyed it. American Lass has no Instagram friends and makes up that she has been invited to an influencer party in Paris. Fakes pictures of her there etc. Obviously she stays home. Paris is locked down as there’s a huge terrorist attack and the story unfolds from there. Behind the fun there’s a very plausible story and outcome. Story/Outcome reminded me a bit of Jon Ronsons novel ‘So you’ve been publicly shamed’ I’d give it a 7/10

Banshees of Inisherin 2022. As expected with all of McDonaghs films it was excellent. I enjoyed it just as much as ‘In Bruges’ Set in mid 1800s Ireland and the story of 2 best friends one of which all of a sudden decides he doesn’t like the other one. One of my favourite films of the year. Anyone noticed that Colin Farrell now looks like Kevin Webster? Anyway I’m giving it a 9/10

True Things-2021. British film about a late 20s average girl who works in a job centre comes across a bad boy who she ends up dating. He becomes more and more of a wrongun and her life slowly starts to spiral downwards as he gets her further in the shit. Thought it was really enjoyable and wouldn’t have surprised me if it was written by Shane Meadows. Another 7/10.

Been a cracking year for films. Some really good British ones.

Last edited:
Troll.

Reflected on this and can’t believe how shat it was.
Even for a silly film it’s beyond silly, speech by the Norwegian PM is the simply the i worst scene I’ve seen in the history of movies man. Cringe bollocks.

A daft even for daft 2/10 - the 2 is for a decent first 10 mins. Ffs.

The Oak Room. 7/10.
2020. Cody Calahan. 90 mins.

During a raging Canadian storm a weird looking gadgy from that thing where the baldy teacher starts making his own drugs staggers into a pub as it’s closing for the neet. The owner of the pub who seems to still be on the run from the feller from that gangster film based on the one where the man with no name plays two sides off against each other isn’t happy to see him. They punter starts telling a story about a pub down the road where a punter came staggering through the door at closing time during a storm to be confronted by a barman looking a lot like the lad who played one of the fellers Batman can’t stand……………don’t put the kettle on or gan for a piss as you’ll miss summet and wonder wtf is going on. I blinked once and think I’m gonna have to watch it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back