The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor was an insane choice of director (who I actually like) as he has a very left field sense of humour, totally unsuited to making a Marvel film.
Perhaps they'll ask M. Night Shyamalan to do the next instalment.

Do Revenge on Netflix.

Two wrong high school lasses (Camila Mendes and Maya Hawke) become unlikely friends and agree to team up to get revenge on the people who have wronged them. Not many laughs but was an alright way to spend a few hours.

6/10

Last edited:
Speak No Evil. Horror/psychodrama. Two families meet on holiday in Italy. One Dutch, one Danish. Later after holiday Dutch family invite Danish family to visit. They do and things go downhill from there. Ending is grim and gruesome. Good film. 7 out of 10.

Been watching loads of animated shorts lately. A lot from The Animation Workshop - https://www.youtube.com/c/viborganimation
Here's the pick of them:

Borislav - 9/10
A fisherman’s daughter returns to her childhood home to care for her father who has dementia.

Under the Fold - 8/10
A son's imagination helps to pull his unemployed father from the pit of depression.

Vaesen - 9/10
A prince embarks on a journey to slay a dragon so it's blood can be used to save the dying King.

Paperman - 9/10
An office-worker uses paper planes to meet his dream girl.

Blonde - Netflix.

Based on a novel of the same name going through the rise and fall (mainly the fall if I’m honest) of Marilyn Monroe.

I don’t know how I feel about this film, found it quite weird for the most part and the runtime of almost 3 hours was a bit of a chore. Think it’s splitting critics and viewers alike and I can understand why.

I’d give it a 5, maybe 6 at a push, out of 10.

Elvis [2022] 7.5/10
Enjoyed this for the most part as I've always like Baz Lurhmann's style. Thought Hanks was miscast, though, and it didn't need to be 2 1/2 hours long.

Deus - sci fi movie but quite a lot of discussion of god and a less than satisfying ending. Good performances and well shot though, but hard to give this more than 5

this has prob got its own thread somewhere.. but put top gun 2 off after about 40 minutes.. the cgi is a bit obvious in fact it looks like its all cgi.. and the story line seems very predicable.. loved the first one btw.. might try the rest at some point

Blonde - Netflix.

Based on a novel of the same name going through the rise and fall (mainly the fall if I’m honest) of Marilyn Monroe.

I don’t know how I feel about this film, found it quite weird for the most part and the runtime of almost 3 hours was a bit of a chore. Think it’s splitting critics and viewers alike and I can understand why.

I’d give it a 5, maybe 6 at a push, out of 10.
Watched it last night and thought it was good. She was definitely a mixed up lass and it depicted that well, different style to the normal biopic. Can't understand some of the nonsense being spouted in the press. For me a solid 7 pushing 8.

The latest film* I gave up on was “It Snows In Benidorm” starring Timothy Spall.

I have no idea what happens. His brother is missing.

Everybody is weird.

It firmly cements my conviction that I never, ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever want to go to Benidorm.

* A friend shares a lot of stuff from pirate bay with me. An awful lot of it is utter shite.

There are a surprising number of awful films made.

NB : I delete the Marvel ones straight away. Or anything based on a comic novel or whatever the expression is. I’ve learned that it’s really not my cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched it last night and thought it was good. She was definitely a mixed up lass and it depicted that well, different style to the normal biopic. Can't understand some of the nonsense being spouted in the press. For me a solid 7 pushing 8.
Think it was just the talking fetus and “daddy” references that were a bit weird for me like. Ana De Armas does deserve praise though, she was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back