The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nope - 3 people in the cinema. Probably about 20-30 minutes too long. Not particularly tense and no real subtext. Looked nice. 5/10

But what was the film called?

Are you going to tell us?
Everything everywhere all at once

Bizarre, but entertaining, some good humour in it and Jamie Lee Curtis who plays a fantastic role.
Fans of Star Trek Discovery will notice the lead role is played by Michelle Yoeh, (Philippe Georgia) and does it with aplomb.
8/10

Last edited:
Top Gun - Overly nostalgic nonsense with some great action scenes. Once you get past all the cliche and parody stuff then it's still enjoyable enough. 7/10.

Reactions: mux
Book of eli angry/10 never seen a film with such potential be so garbage. It was like an American Mega church made a film and hired some amazing actors to simply hope you saw it.
I spent 20 minutes saying "garbage"

The Talented Mr. Ripley [1999] 9/10
Purple Noon [1960] 8/10

Both adapted from the same Patricia Highsmith novel. The Anthony Minghella-directed version with Matt Damon, Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow has been a favourite for ages. Gorgeously shot with a brilliantly nuanced, sinister lead performance from Damon. Cate Blanchett and Philip Seymour-Hoffman have great cameos.

Purple Noon is a first-time watch. I knew I would like it as it has Alain Delon in the lead role, who's charisma burns through the screen. Like the later version, it is absolutely stunning. The Italian coast of the 1960's is, unsurprisingly, breath-taking. Delon's Ripley is slightly less complex than Damon's as they remove any of the conflicted sexuality and it has a very different ending but is still satisfying.

Nope

It’s really boring I’m afraid. A few ominous bits and flashes of creative brilliance but it feels like an idea Peele had for his now-cancelled twilight zone show, but made longer and more boring. It even has Steven Yeun in a cowboy hat which was literally an episode of Peele’s twilight zone reboot. 4/10

Annie Hall - 5/10. Sure I watched this year's ago but after clicking around for an oldie to watch I decided on this. Feels like the Woody Allen humour has dated and found myself drifting off watching it. It's highly rated I think but it was just a bit boring.

Mind I started watching Blade Runner as I've never watched it and feel asleep 20 minutes in. Watching stuff in the middle of the day is not good. Need a nana nap! I'll come back and give BR a rating when I get round to watching it again!

NEW:
Top Gun Maverick [2022] 7/10

The action sequences are amazing but the script is paint-by-numbers and half the film looks like a 90's Levi's commercial. Not enough Jennifer Connelly either.
Prey [2022] 6/10
I was a bit disappointed by this. I liked the premise but didn't feel an ounce of tension or jeopardy. I was expecting the Apocalypto version of Predator and got what felt like a video game.

OLD:
The Friends of Eddie Coyle [1973] 8/10

A gritty heist drama starring Robert Mitchum as an aging criminal who informs on a team of bank robbers to save his own skin.
You can rarely go wrong with a 70's crime film - I liked it a lot.
Full Metal Jacket [1987] 8/10
I haven't saw this for 25 years. It's still brilliant. The first half is immaculate and Vincent D'onofrio gave me chills. The second half can't match it but it's still very good.

NEW:

The action sequences are amazing but the script is paint-by-numbers and half the film looks like a 90's Levi's commercial. Not enough Jennifer Connelly either.
Prey [2022] 6/10
I was a bit disappointed by this. I liked the premise but didn't feel an ounce of tension or jeopardy. I was expecting the Apocalypto version of Predator and got what felt like a video game.

OLD:

A gritty heist drama starring Robert Mitchum as an aging criminal who informs on a team of bank robbers to save his own skin.
I haven't saw this for 25 years. It's still brilliant. The first half is immaculate and Vincent D'onofrio gave me chills. The second half can't match it but it's still very good.

Took me ages to realise where I was recognising Dr Brenner from in stranger things. He is private joker from fmj. Great film

NEW:

Prey [2022] 6/10

OLD:

If you like 70's crime films, The Seven Ups is also great. The Seven-Ups - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back