The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr strange and his multi verse bollocks.
Disappointing waste of good characters. Marvel are looking like they’ve jumped the shark. And Sam Raimi should bog off

Dr strange and his multi verse bollocks.
Disappointing waste of good characters. Marvel are looking like they’ve jumped the shark. And Sam Raimi should bog off
Quite liked it, watched at the weekend. 7.5/10
Think the new Thor will be good though, really enjoyed the last one.

The Righteous

Well, it won’t be a film for everyone. In fact I’d imagine a lot would describe it was boring bollocks but I was totally engrossed. Reminded me a lot of Night of the Hunter. Filmed in black and white it was one of the darlings at Cannes this year.

Won’t say anything about it as it’s better to go in blind.
9/10

Reactions: mux
Watched RRR on Netflix. Utterly batshit mental but in an entertaining way. Some of the action scenes are ridiculously OTT, and then they have a dance. Recommended.

The Untouchables

It’s fine. I’ve never really rated Costner. Connery’s Oscar was obviously a “he’s due one” rather than for any stand out acting, although he is good in this. De Niro puts in a good performance as Al Capone. 5.5/10

Minions: Rise Of Gru
Some funny moments and the bairn loved it, but I was a bit bored for long periods.
They should probably call time on these films now, but this one will likely make a bucket load ensuring another sequel.
5/10

I watched Elvis last night. It was quite good I thought. Butler was unreal and obviously the music was good. But I felt it was a bit too long and I've done some reading afterwards and it seems quite generous about the facts.

But, I've certainly seen worse movies.

Last edited:
Watched RRR on Netflix. Utterly batshit mental but in an entertaining way. Some of the action scenes are ridiculously OTT, and then they have a dance. Recommended.
aye I absolutely loved it. Had no idea what was going to happen a lot of the time but in a really good way. Flew by for a canny long film too.

Working my way through films the rewatchables have covered that I haven’t already seen. This time it’s…

Project X
High school party held by 3 loser kids goes horribly horribly wrong (or right, in a sense) some good laughs, doesn’t drag and interesting to see how it escalates :lol: 5/10

I’m being much harsher with ratings from now on, even if I like the film.

I watched Elvis last night. It was quite good I thought. Butler was unreal and obviously the music was good. But I felt it was a bit too long and I've done some reading afterwards and it seems quite generous about the facts.

But, I've certainly seen worse movies.
That will be on the posters next week.
😁

I'm rewatching Inception.
Fantastic.
Why can't there be more original movies?
Ghostbusters sequel? ffs
Marvel horse manure
Bad time for films imo

Elvis ....was a little disappointed to be honest, main actor great but not enough music and to much tom hanks who I thought was not great. Could of made a lot better

Top Gun

Had very little expectation going into this, wasn't even much of a fan of the first one. But this is a really excellent sequel. Good story, avoids too many tropes that they could have relied upon, and so intense.

8.5/10

Just seen Hustle on Netflix. Not an Adam Sandler comedy fan (with one or two exceptions), but he was good in Uncut Gems and Punch Drunk Love, and this is a sports drama.

Nothing new, and the usual sports films clichés, but if you're a basketball fan it's a decent watch - pretty much everybody in it is a basketball superstar either playing themself or a fictionalised version of themself.

7/10, but fair play to him getting Netflix to give him a boatload of money to make a film where he gets to hang out with all of his sporting idols for six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back