The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just realised its been over a year since I originally watched it. Worth another go tonight I reckon :)

I watched that then chose Moonfall and then 6 Underground both of which were ridiculous shit piles from the sublime to the ridiculous

Reactions: mux
Haway man, you can’t follow a classic with two of the best performances I’ve seen with absolute chod man...

I was lured in by the shiny trailers couldnt resist 🤣🤣. In my defense I enjoyed Dont look up and thought Moonfall would be similar and the other Ryan Reynolds sci-fi on Netflix is really good

Turning Red
Pixar tackles puberty in its latest animated effort.
The first 5 minutes were awful, and had I not been asked to keep on watching by the bairn I'd have gone to bed and left her and her mam to watch it.
It did get better as it went on thankfully, but it's not going to trouble even Pixar's mid range movies and is not one I'll be returning to, but then again, I'm definitely not the target audience for this one.
5/10

The Batman [2022]
9.5/10

My first thoughts after having just watched it (I'm definitely watching it again tomorrow):
The first 2 hours of this film is about as good as it gets, the final 45 minutes a bit of a let down.
I loved the filthy, rain-soaked Gotham. Pattinson's detective Batman and noir narration. The perfect casting - Colin Farrell's Penguin, Paul Dano's Riddler, Zoe Kravitz - Jesus.😍 The bat-car!
The score and cinematography are ludicrously brilliant.
I disliked the quite formulaic big set-piece action sequence in the final act and felt it didn't really fit with the rest of the movie, which meant it could have been 30 minutes shorter.
Despite that, it is the best, and most authentic Batman movie ever made.

The northman

Went to pics - ffs maybe one of the very worst I’ve seen at the pics. Was so looking forward to it as love this type of shit.

First 10 mins were promising then,

-Way too long, wanted it to end 60 minutes earlier
-Cliched revenge story which drags and drags
-Long and tedious scenes of Viking voodoo/Witchery stuff
-Lead actor was shocking
-continuously filmed in the dark which got on my tit end

Avoid
A shocking 3.5:10

The northman

Went to pics - ffs maybe one of the very worst I’ve seen at the pics. Was so looking forward to it as love this type of shit.

-Lead actor was shocking

Avoid
Had never heard of it but will absolutely avoid now.

Bull

Fairly standard revenge plotline, but entertaining throughout, and quite brutal in parts. Couldn't get away with the ending, but Neil Maskell and David Hayman are brilliant in it. Dead Man's Shoes is a big fave on here, and anyone who enjoyed that should get something from this.

The northman

-Lead actor was shocking

Avoid
Saw it Monday and I agree very long and not that great..was really looking forward to it as well

The Batman [2022]
9.5/10

My first thoughts after having just watched it (I'm definitely watching it again tomorrow):
The first 2 hours of this film is about as good as it gets, the final 45 minutes a bit of a let down.
I loved the filthy, rain-soaked Gotham. Pattinson's detective Batman and noir narration. The perfect casting - Colin Farrell's Penguin, Paul Dano's Riddler, Zoe Kravitz - Jesus.😍 The bat-car!
The score and cinematography are ludicrously brilliant.
I disliked the quite formulaic big set-piece action sequence in the final act and felt it didn't really fit with the rest of the movie, which meant it could have been 30 minutes shorter.
Despite that, it is the best, and most authentic Batman movie ever made.
Also watched it yesterday, thought it was closer to a 7 but would have been an 8 if 30 to 45 mins shorter. The extra stuff added nothing and took me out of the movie too much. Also didn't appreciate the lack of context in introducing the Batman, it took much of the movie to understand the background.

Quiet Place 2, watch it if you liked the first one, some great building of tension and suspense as the camera switches between the characters simultaneously in sticky situations, think I jumped once or twice too.

7/10

Dune (2021)
Serious, and seriously good sci fi film from the director of Blade Runner 2049.
8.5/10

Choose Or Die
Horror film about a killer old school (think Spectrum) adventure computer game.
Good premise but a bit rubbish.
5/10

Gave Dune another go and actually really impressed, and the sooner we get used to Timothee and Zendaya in all sorts the better
The Night House - canny decent psychological horror about a recent widower who starts finding out stuff about her husband. Definitely a film to watch with the lights lower if you want to pick certain things up and was not the ending I expected. 8.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
The Batman.
As mentioned on here previously, nearly 3 hours long, which I thought went well. The Riddler was canny and there was an element of Seven to the whole film. Let down once the last 30 minutes kicked in with the standard Hollywood explosions, fighting etc which even had to have the Avengers 'large item falling to the ground' scene which is pretty much every comic book kovie these days. Still, fairly moody, sets it up for the next movie and kept me watching without becoming boring. Robert Pattinson is a decent Batman but as Bruce Waybe he looks a bit weedy and gothy. Would have given it 9 but due to the last 30mins would drop 1.5 points, so 7.5/10.

The northman

-Lead actor was shocking

Avoid
Strongly disagree, a solid 7 out of 10.

The antidote to Marvel shite. Fantastic score and well acted. Shot on location in Ireland and Iceland, no green screen. A great cast of Ethan Hawke, Alex Skarsgard, Nicole Kidman, Anya Taylor Joy and Willem Dafoe. Very dark and very brutal.

Last edited:
Strongly disagree, a solid 7 out of 10.

The antidote to Marvel shite. Fantastic score and well acted. Shot on location in Ireland and Iceland, no green screen. A great cast of Ethan Hawke, Alex Skarsgard, Nicole Kidman, Anya Taylor Joy and Willem Dafoe. Very dark and very brutal.
All about opions but I thought it was long and tedious, little twist to the movie but thought kidman was awful...all of us were glad when credits come up.. agree with score and the locations and was brutal

All Disney+ offerings :
Encanto....... beautiful, colourful, magical, heartwarming film about the family Madrigal with the earworm to end all earworms "we don't talk about Bruno" which will be embedded in your psyche forever :lol:.
Loved it and would give it an 8/10.

Seeing red...,.really didn't enjoy this one much at all and found myself zoning out and losing interest with the pretty weak "coming of age" storyline.
Meh and would give it a 5.5/10.

Luca......a humourous film about a sea creature human hybrid boy who meets someone like him ashore. It was better than seeing red but not quite as good as Encanto.
Canny and would give it a 7/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back