The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another round

2020 danish film starring the magnificent mads mikkelsom on top form

Group of teachers test a theory to have 0.5% alcohol in their blood whisk working to be at their best.

loved it, cracking performances and loved the ending.
8/10
Ps, won Oscar this year for best foreign film..
Giving this a go now. Had to rent it on prime like, haven't got a naughty box or anything.

Hopefully £4 well spent.

Dune [2021] 9/10
Fans of the book will love it's density, casual viewers may feel it's overlong (2hr20m). Especially given most of the movie feels like a set-up for future film(s).
Visually gorgeous with excellent performances, particularly Rebecca Ferguson.
F**K knows when part two will come out. 2023/4?
I would imagine Warner Bros will watch how this is received before bankrolling any future follow up .

The French Dispatch (2021)
Wes Anderson's tribute to the lost age of journalism. Stylish, beautifully shot, visually stunning, enjoyable soundtrack, crisp dialogue and a cast to die for. If you find Anderson not to your taste, this film is not for you. Looking forward to a second viewing.
8/10

Watched "The Starling" this weekend, thoroughly depressing, however Chris O'Dowd & Melissa McCarthy gave superb performances as grieving parents
Listed as a comedy on Netflix for some reason

Episode 18 of the Double Reel Film Podcast is out now for those who fancy a listen, including: reviews of new releases No Time To Die, The Last Duel and The Green Knight; A critical reassessment of Spielberg's A.I.; a look at Assault on Precinct 13 and its shonky remake; an old classic No Way Out; hidden gem Wadjda; the story of previous attempts to film by Jodorowsky, Ridley Scott and David Lynch; and an in-depth discussion of movie composers and great songs in films.

Dune [2021] 9/10
Fans of the book will love it's density, casual viewers may feel it's overlong (2hr20m). Especially given most of the movie feels like a set-up for future film(s).
Visually gorgeous with excellent performances, particularly Rebecca Ferguson.
F**K knows when part two will come out. 2023/4?
I lasted 30 mins and turned it off, just not my thing at all , I suppose it reminded me of the first star wars movie , I lasted about 10 mins watching that as well. I wont call it twaddle because you and others like it.

Saint Maud (2020) - Amazon Prime

A nurse who recently lost a patient gives palliative care to a former dancer, and takes it upon herself to convert her to Catholicism. She is plagued by a series of visions that guide her.

Fascinating character study, slow burn yet not too long, genuinely unsettling, excellent finale.

8/10

Couple more:

Minari (2020) - saw on a plane

Koren family moves to Kansas to set up a farm, struggle to adjust. Grandmother moves in, clash of cultures ensues. Deep story, well told, 9/10

Promising Young Woman (2020) - plane

A woman pretends to be mortal to get picked up by predators, then gives them a nasty surprise. She's avenging a friend, and goes on to attack those involved. Great premise and story, let down by a far-fetched conclusion. 7/10

It's time for a Friday the 13th Franchise review (the first 8 films) There will be some spoilers in these reviews.

Friday the 13th – 5/10 (Bluray boxset)

Logon or register to see this image

It’s the late 70’s and some plagiarising hack decided to merge together Halloween and Jaws, thus spawning an iconic horror franchise with no end of sequels. They looked at Halloween and loved the way it made the camera look like it was stalking the victims (POV), so why not just shoot the entire film like that!?

Friday the 13th is saved by the ending. Had it not been for the ending and the Jason mythology, this would just be unremarkable cheap horror trash. I’m pleased to report that the moment when Jason jumps out of the water still packs a punch; the Mrs jumped out of her skin. The way it lures you in with a false sense of calm and tranquility before the jump scare is just **Chef’s kiss**

Best Kill: Kevin Bacon takes a knife through the throat.

Friday 13th: Part 2 – 4/10

Logon or register to see this image

I knew these films were cheap, but recycling footage from the end of part 1 as the opener for part 2? That’s just absurdly lazy. Imagine if Scream had done that?

This sequel offers almost nothing. The kills are super lame compared to part 1. I thought sequels were meant to up the gore, not lessen it?! One thing they did try and amp up was the sex and nudity. That is until they realised that actress Marta Kober was only 16 years old, which led to any nudity being edited out and film reels being destroyed.

Despite all the problems, I think I can see why these films have so much appeal. The cheap, grainy atmospheric tone is what makes Camp Crystal Lake iconic. You just wouldn’t be able to recreate it now, things have gotten far too glossy.

No sign of Jason’s Hockey mask.

Best Kill: Slim pickings but machete thrown into the face of disabled guy.

Nosferatu (1922)
Nearly a century old and it's still the best adaptation. It's the creepiest of the lot When I first saw it as a kid I actually thought Max Schreck was a real vampire. He was that convincing. A masterpiece of menace and atmosphere that still remains one of the most visually harrowing films of all time.
8.5/10

Nosferatu (1922)
Nearly a century old and it's still the best adaptation. It's the creepiest of the lot When I first saw it as a kid I actually thought Max Schreck was a real vampire. He was that convincing. A masterpiece of menace and atmosphere that still remains one of the most visually harrowing films of all time.
8.5/10
It's a great movie.
I'm looking forward to Robert Eggers much-delayed version given how much I loved his movies The Witch and The Lighthouse. Probably not out until 2024, though.

It's a great movie.
I'm looking forward to Robert Eggers much-delayed version given how much I loved his movies The Witch and The Lighthouse. Probably not out until 2024, though.
Didn't know about this. Enjoyed The Lighthouse. I'll have to check out The Witch in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back