The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gangster Squad (2013)

Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling et al are vigilante 1920s LA cops hell bent on taking down the vicious head of a new organised crime gang, played by Sean Penn.

Think The Untouchables and The Godfather all in one.

Very good. A solid 3.25/4 from Mux.

Available on Netflix.

Watched Kingdon Ashin of the North the other day, enjoyed it but I did enjoy S1 and S2 of Kingdom, the Korean medieval zombie series with excellent hats. It tells the backstory of the series and the girl who turns up at the end of S2. Probably not worth it if you haven't watched/enjoyed Kingdom.

Not necessarily a film even though it was shown at the Cannes Film Festival, I’ve just watched The Power Of Nightmares which was very interesting and thought provoking.

That film about the marigold hotel, a jaunty yarn about a bunch of old folks that go over to India and some of them stay at the hotel.
Has some big hitters in it, bill nighy, judi dench and Maggie Smith to name but a few.
It was perfect Sunday teatime viewing, some decent performances and the story was canny enough.
Give it a solid 6/10, probably won't watch again tbh.

Jungle cruise..Best Disney film I've seen in a while. Good acting all round and a very indianna jones type movie. Dont normally like Jack Whitehall but he takes a very good part. Great film for all the family

Magnolia
Went to the cinema to see it the other day. One of the few Paul Thomas Anderson films I hadn’t seen. It’s fantastic. Possibly his best imo.

Jungle cruise..Best Disney film I've seen in a while. Good acting all round and a very indianna jones type movie. Dont normally like Jack Whitehall but he takes a very good part. Great film for all the family

Thought it was naff. Like a cross between Pirates of the Caribbean and the John Hannah Mummy films set in the jungle. I can see how kids might enjoy it.

Gangster Squad (2013)

Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling et al are vigilante 1920s LA cops hell bent on taking down the vicious head of a new organised crime gang, played by Sean Penn.

Think The Untouchables and The Godfather all in one.

Very good. A solid 3.25/4 from Mux.

Available on Netflix.
Quality that @mux

enjoyed that ta!

Reactions: mux
Magnolia
Went to the cinema to see it the other day. One of the few Paul Thomas Anderson films I hadn’t seen. It’s fantastic. Possibly his best imo.
I’ll have to rewatch that one. Saw it on release.
Boogie Nights would be my choice mind but Magnolia is great too

Harpoon - 3 friends get stranded on a yacht in the middle of the ocean (not sure why they went that far) and shit goes down. Actually quite enjoyed it, some clever plot lines and darkly funny at times. 7.5/10

Logon or register to see this image

Blood red sky. - Netflix film

5/10 probably because i wanted it to be good.
In fact on reflection a 3.5/10. it’s a mess. Didn’t know what it wants to be….and even for a horror/action it’s just daft.

In fact boring myself typing this. Avoid. 2.5/10

Reactions: mux
Angels with Dirty Faces - 19/10. Laughed and cried in equal measure.

‘Let’s go and say a prayer for a boy who couldn’t run as fast as I could’

Not a filum as such but binge watched In Plain Sight (2 and quarter hours so like a filum).

The true story of 1950s Scottish serial killer Peter Manuel (Martin Compston).

Very Good 8.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back