The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saltburn 7/10. Admittedly it was a bit bizarre but different to films I would normally watch. Have to say it kept my interest well and I enjoyed it-seems I'm definitely in the minority looking at others reviews. Pleased I didn't go to the cinema to see it though as it was all a bit weird in places 🤣.

The bath scene is weird af 😂

I'd give it a 6. Had my interest till the last 30 minutes but then it just lost the plot. The "twist" was really weak and farfetched as well

Reactions: TAD

Killing Them Softly.

"This guy [pointing at obama campaigning to be president] wants to tell me we're living in a community.
Don't make me laugh. I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me"

Not much on so decided to give Sisu another watch as didn’t really want to concentrate on anything too much.

Legendary ex-commando turned gold miner and his canny dog get a bit hassle from a company of Nazis trying to pinch his gold whilst fleeing Finland at the end of WW2. Good bit of gore and a few inventive deaths. As long as you don’t expect too much you’ll enjoy it for what it is. Fair few animal in distress scenes though :(

8/10 for me.

Saltburn - Amazon prime

Barry Keoghan
Richard e grant
Carey mulligan
Rosamund Pike

Barry and Pike both tremendous, kept me interested all the way through with as mentioned a few ‘are you taking the piss’ moments, in fact 4 of the them.😬

Different - solid 7.5/10

Rebel moon - part one

Zach Snyder new film on Netflix.

enjoyed it, typical sci fi type with some great scenes as you’d expect from Snyder. Well paced.
Charlie Hunnam Northern Ireland accent disturbed me though.bizzare.

worth a watch 7/10
watched the film over the weekend, I thought it was a mishmash of star wars and magnificent seven rolled into one 5/10

Godzilla Minus One (2023)

Finally, a Godzilla film with an emotional core. Actual characters and not just some CGI bloke smashing CGI buildings for 2 hours. Shot for less than 15 million, just goes to show this sort of thing can be done brilliantly without breaking the bank. Bravo.

8/10

This is an excellent film. I was blown away by it.

Killing Them Softly.

"This guy [pointing at obama campaigning to be president] wants to tell me we're living in a community.
Don't make me laugh. I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me"
The scenes with Gandolfini and Pitt In that film are superb. I think it’s hugely underrated.

The scenes with Gandolfini and Pitt In that film are superb. I think it’s hugely underrated.
"You don't tell me what to do".

Agree on the lack of love, even Liotta was only mildly annoying.
😁

+ It's the sort of film you feel the need for a bath after watching.

Last edited:
Saltburn - Amazon prime

Barry Keoghan
Richard e grant
Carey mulligan
Rosamund Pike

Barry and Pike both tremendous, kept me interested all the way through with as mentioned a few ‘are you taking the piss’ moments, in fact 4 of the them.😬

Different - solid 7.5/10
Seemed more than 4 to me, some very odd stuff going on but on balance I enjoyed it and agree with your rating. Mulligan was hardly in it but all the other key performances were superb.

Wild Things (1998) 7.5/10

Kevin Bacon, Matt Dhillon, Neve Campbell, Denise Richards, Bill Murray... Canny few topless sexy scenes and the two main lasses necking on and generally being filthy , there's a twist in the story pretty much every 5 minutes which makes it absurd by the end, but the start is excellent and overall a very enjoyable film that flies along with loads of plot holes that are just skipped straight over. According to Wiki it's based on some ancient greek tragedy , but I think it's just a 90s sex-thriller . Good review here-

Roger Ebert gave the film three stars out of four, praising McNaughton's directing and the plot twists. He described it as "lurid trash, with a plot so twisted they're still explaining it during the closing titles. It's like a three-way collision between a softcore sex film, a soap opera and a B-grade noir. I like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back