The SMB Book thread

Places in the Darkness by Chris Brookmyre

Brookmyre in his Chris mode so it's sci-fi leaning. Earth at some point in the near future has built a large space station/city, Ciudad de Cielo, which is being used to build a ship to colonise other planets. There's been a murder (unheard of on CdC) and slightly dodgy copper, Nikki Fixx and Dr Alice Blake, representing the Federation of National Governments, need to get to the bottom of it, in spite of their differences. It's very enjoyable and could, potentially, be spun out into a series. 8/10

Troll Life by Alan Parkinson

The author is, of course, of this parish... basically, it starts out with Darren, the internet troll from Idle Threats having to go through training courses and get a job, ironically at the call centre he used to troll. Lots of other characters introduced, potentially one or two who might be carried forward to other books?? It's funny and entertaining and has a good plot. Also features a not so thinly veiled SMB. 8/10

Troll life is class.

Troll Life by Alan Parkinson

The author is, of course, of this parish... basically, it starts out with Darren, the internet troll from Idle Threats having to go through training courses and get a job, ironically at the call centre he used to troll. Lots of other characters introduced, potentially one or two who might be carried forward to other books?? It's funny and entertaining and has a good plot. Also features a not so thinly veiled SMB. 8/10
:eek::lol:

Banksy: The man behind the wall by Will Ellsworth Jones. 7/10.
Better than I expected half hearted investigation into the Banksy phenomenon. He says he doesn’t want to find out who Banksy actually is which is just as well becos I didn’t want to know either. Good on the history and business side of stuff. Interesting for anyone with a vague curiosity for Banksy style stuff.

One Three One by Julian Cope. 4/10.
Renowned popular music nut job tries his hand at fiction.....and fails. Which is a shame becos I like both his music and his archeology/Neolithic stuff.

Answers From The Grave by Mark Timlin. 4/10.
Standard issue London crime fiction. Not his finest hour.

Thraxas of Turai by Martin Scott

Martin Millar in his comedic fantasy novel guise for the 11th time. First in the series for 4 years but there was an 8 year gap previously. The whole series is excellent so start at the beginning with the original "Thraxas" book. Basically, all set in a world of orcs, elves, humans, dragons etc. (think a sort of dungeons & dragons scenario) but done satirically with a cynical, overweight, drunken private investigator, who can do a little bit of magic, as the main character. All great fun! 8.5/10 (but probably a 7.0/10 read out of context).

Finally got around to reading Bravo Two Zero. I'm about half of the way through and whilst I'm enjoying it, it's not really as good as what it's built up to be.

Finally got around to reading Bravo Two Zero. I'm about half of the way through and whilst I'm enjoying it, it's not really as good as what it's built up to be.
its well over 20 years since i read it - from memory it was of its time... not a lot had been written first hand so well by someone within the SAS with such a high profile tour... as monumental cock-ups go its a decent account, but suspect its dated somewhat in the intervening years.

Outside Looking In by TC Boyle 7/10

Logon or register to see this image

Novel about the creation of LSD in 1943 in Switzerland, and the beginnings of the hippy movement in the 1960s. TC Boyle has long been one of my favourite writers; this perhaps isn't among his best, but still well worth reading.

The World Since 1945: The Complete History Of Global Change Since 1945 To The End Of The 20th Century (3rd edition). By T E Vadney. 9/10.
Does what it says on the tin, very readable concise explanations of just about every major global political incident and skirmish since WWII. Empire losses, Cuban Missile crisis, Angola, Sandinistas n Contras, Iran v Iraq, ANC, Manley, Allende, Pinochet, The Bomb, fall of communism, Gang Of 4, Pol Pot, Nixon, De Gaulle, Algeria etc etc
Recommended

Last edited:
The World Since 1945: The Complete History Of Global Change Since 1945 To The End Of The 20th Century (3rd edition). By T E Vadney. 9/10.
Does what it says on the tin, very readable concise explanations of just about every major global political incident and skirmish since WWII. Empire losses, Cuban Missile crisis, Angola, Sandinistas n Contras, Iran v Iraq, ANC, Manley, Allende, Pinochet, The Bomb, fall of communism, Gang Of 4, Pol Pot, Nixon, De Gaulle, Algeria etc etc
Recommended
That sounds great but I bet it takes ages to read, I've got A History of the World by Andrew Marr to read, I got it for christmas but haven't really started yet. There is still The Ball is Round to Read too. And book club books to read. I just need to give up work.

That sounds great but I bet it takes ages to read, I've got A History of the World by Andrew Marr to read, I got it for christmas but haven't really started yet. There is still The Ball is Round to Read too. And book club books to read. I just need to give up work.
It did and it’s not that big a book either. The longest it’s ever taken me to finish a book tbh. Non fiction takes longer than fiction especially as a commute read for me as I’m not the sharpest. I’ll be starting a trashy crime novel next week though as I don’t want the other commuters thinking I’m an intellectual in builders clothing.

The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak. A book narrated by death about a group of Ordinary Germans in Nazi Germany. Fine hundred and fifty odd oages read in four days. The best book I’ve read this year, highly recommended for anyone who hasn’t already read it 9/10
It's a great book and, I think, it was originally written as a children's book. The film adaptation isn't bad.

Positively Fifth Street by James McManus

Author goes to Vegas to cover the 2000 World Series of Poker and also the trial of the accused murderers of Ted Binion.

Decent read if you've got an interest in Vegas history and poker

7/10

Just spotted a free copy of Charlie Wilson's War in the canteen, is it worth a go?

Was thinking either that, starting the GoT now the TV show is coming to an end or something by Robert Harris.

Any recommendations?

Martin Millar - Supercute Futures

Very much a Martin Millar take on post climate change apocalypse sci fi novel. it combines big business, a sinister villain, cuddly toys, manga imagery and comedy. I won't give away much of the plot but suffice it to say it's very good! 8.5/10

Back