The SMB Book thread

Such as......

Id probably get banned if i copy and pasted it. Put it this way.... you are reading great stuff about the punk years, about Gen X doing gigs, getting success and then BAMM!!!! a paragraph about him doing something with a lass..... that includes his fist

Dont even think about it

All Quiet On The Western Front (again:() 7/10

The most well know world war one fiction book. Extremely powerful story of the life of several German soldiers and there struggle though the war. Its a must read book for everyone

Unfourtunatly I'm re-doing my Engligh Lit A-level coursework so this is the forth time I have read the thing and world war one never interested me anyway.

LZR-1143 Evolution. It's about zombies and appears to have been written by a 15 year old virgin. I have read worse zombie fiction mind, one that I can't recall the name of had a Victoria's Secret model as the lead female character that fell for the young hero. f***ing hell man, I read some shite.

My daughter read that just before I was due to go to work in Yemen so I didn't tell her I was going there, I said I was off to Oman.
How was Yemen?

I usually read one fiction and one non-fiction in parallel. The most recent ones I finished were Jo Nesbø's Cockroaches (Norwegian crime fiction; this one wasn't as good as some others of his. 6.5/10) and First In, a book about the CIA in Afghanistan right after 9/11 (6/10, as it is difficult to be sure how much in such books is actually true).

The Establishment by Owen Jones.
Some good points. Some stuff I already knew, some stuff that made me angry, some stories that he stretched to suit his agenda. 6.5/10
What I talk about when I talk about running. Haruki Murakami

Enjoying it so far. Combines two off my current pastimes, writing and running. 7/10

Flesh Wounds by Brookmyre. A solid 8/10 bit of crime fiction.

Anybody who enjoys Brookmyre or Ian Rankin may wish to try book 1 of the Laidlaw trilogy which I enjoyed. Don't bother with book 2 though and book 3 is reckoned to be worse.

A History of Loneliness by John Boyne. Quite enjoyed it, very believable. 8/10. After reading that and then watching Godfather 3, decided to read David Yallops book about Pope John Pual I. About quarter of the way through.

Was passed on this book. It was readable but not challenging. The ending had obviously been decided and then 98% of the book was leading you to think one thing then just at the end, all was revealed. Disappointing. Not a page turner, had just enough about it to keep you reading until end. 4 out of 10. See also front cover: not fiendishly addictive, not the very definition of a page turner.
Logon or register to see this image

Was passed on this book. It was readable but not challenging. The ending had obviously been decided and then 98% of the book was leading you to think one thing then just at the end, all was revealed. Disappointing. Not a page turner, had just enough about it to keep you reading until end. 4 out of 10. See also front cover: not fiendishly addictive, not the very definition of a page turner.
Logon or register to see this image
Never believe anything you read in The Guardian.

Read The Litigators by John Grisham whilst travelling to London and back home the other day. Really enjoyed it and the characters were built up well. The court room scenes were enjoyable and he built up moments where you wondered if people were going to shaft each other through greed.

4/5

Back