The SMB Book thread

Read 'Ship of Magic' when it first came out and have not read anything else by her, might give some others a go.

You should mate. Ship of Magic is part of the Liveship Traders trilogy which sits in the middle of the bigger story arc. Invest the time - well worth it!

Moonshot by Dan Parry about the Apollo programme.

7/10. Focused a bit on the technical details of orbital docking and rendezvous and the like when I'd like a bit more detail on the human endeavour underlying the programme but it's a good overview nonetheless of an utterly unbelievable achievement.

The Good Thief's Guide To Vegas

6/10 - canny - and an easy read on the plane. Got some funny looks off air stewardesses mind... I was flying to Vegas whilst reading it

Read Papillon,after CM recommended it on here. 6 out of 10.I'd seen the film years ago,but remembered almost nothing about it.
Am now reading "all hell let loose",again recommended on here,by Paddy o'dors,I think.

Last edited:
Last one I finished was Kevin Pieterson's autobiography. Obviously I expected the usual ghost written shite so, looking beyond that, it's barely even interesting. Just KP bitching about anyone and everyone who wouldn't let him have his own way.

Paul Merton's autobiography, decent and moving at times but a bit brief about some of the major recent events; like his second wife dying and the Angus Deyton drugs scandal. Comes across a lot nicer than his HIGNFY persona comes across, if that makes sense

'Lennox' and also 'The long Glasgow Kiss' by Craig Russell. Two books in the Lennox (a private investigator) series - set in 1950s Glasgow.
Excellent read.

Luke Rhinehart - The Dice Man

Awesome book. When I first read it 20 years ago, it was life-changing; (one of only 2 books I've read that I can say that about, the other being Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene); but I wanted to read it again, because I'm such a different person than I was then, and wanted to know whether I'd still enjoy it as much with my current outlook on life.

I was not disappointed.

There are references to philosophy and psychology that I won't have understood the first time around, but did this time, having read the likes of Kant and Nieztsche since then.

It's such an intelligently-written novel; at times laugh-out-loud funny, at times erotic, at times sickening; a real roller-coaster ride. I highly recommend it.

I've just started reading the sequel The Search For The Dice Man immediately after finishing the first one. This one is set (and was written) 20 years after the first novel (which was in turn written in the 60's). I'm about a third of the way through it and I'm enjoying it, though it is quite different to the first one so far.

LZR-1143 Evolution. It's about zombies and appears to have been written by a 15 year old virgin. I have read worse zombie fiction mind, one that I can't recall the name of had a Victoria's Secret model as the lead female character that fell for the young hero. f***ing hell man, I read some shite.

The Panther, Nelson De Mille.

8/10

Part of the John Corey series, which I'm a fan of. Largely based around Al Qaeda in Yemen, so quite topical of late, unfortunately.
My daughter read that just before I was due to go to work in Yemen so I didn't tell her I was going there, I said I was off to Oman.

Secret Footballer's second book - shite
Mike Tyson's book - blass
Escape from Camp 14 - class so far

Back