The SMB Book thread

The Old Man and the Sea- Ernest Hemingway
Average. 6/10. It's dated and written in a different age and style, still a canny story though. Short anarl

Now on with The Stand, the complete and uncut edition (1990). I read the cut original version back in 1991, this is much, much better.

Average. 6/10. It's dated and written in a different age and style, still a canny story though. Short anarl

Now on with The Stand, the complete and uncut edition (1990). I read the cut original version back in 1991, this is much, much better.

I met the man who supposedly inspired the story when I was in Cuba in the 90s. Gregorio Fuentes, the captain of Hemingway's boat. He was 102 and charged $10 to pose for a photo.

Although I did Dicks at uni I really can't read them any more. Not sure whether it's down to the 'weekly' style or just my age.

I think it may because you did them at University:lol::lol: I am sure you get more insight into the work but it might stop you readng stuff just for the pleasure of it.

It was much funnier than I remember when I tried to read it when I was younger.

I love that book. Probably give it a 9 or 10.

Recently finished Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. A bit different to the average (post)apocalyptic novel. 7.5/10

I think it may because you did them at University:lol::lol: I am sure you get more insight into the work but it might stop you readng stuff just for the pleasure of it.

It was much funnier than I remember when I tried to read it when I was younger.
Stop laughing at me going to Uni, you bastard. You're right though. I had to do Chaucer for 'O-level' so it was all a piece of p155 after that.

Excellent story :cool:

Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson

My third time reading it and its a great fantasy book, if you like that kind of thing, its long and not an easy read, definitely better on subsequent reads. Could gave done with being even longer actually.

Revival - Stephen King 8/10 Loved the ending. Didn't see it coming but then I don't really think that far ahead, I just read, which helps on that front. :p

Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb. Great read, fantastic characterisation and a welcome return to a series of books and characters I've been following for close to 20 years.

9/10

Kill Your Friends by John Niven. Centred around a drug and booze-fuelled, racist, sexist monster of an A&R bloke, it maybe overreaches itself a bit towards the end but for the most part it’s a blisteringly funny assault on the Britpop era music industry.

Read the full version in 92 and then again in 14. Loved it.

Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb. Great read, fantastic characterisation and a welcome return to a series of books and characters I've been following for close to 20 years.

9/10
Read 'Ship of Magic' when it first came out and have not read anything else by her, might give some others a go.

Back