The SMB Book thread

The Fisherman by John Langan.

190 pages in, out of 260, a bit dissapointed after some amazing reviews, it does have one section which was amazing, so at the moment only 6/10, will visit again with final mark

The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James 9/10
Tackled this - all 600 pages of it - ahead of reading John Banville's new book, Mrs Osmond, which is basically a sequel. Considering it was published in 1880, James's book is remarkably fresh. An intricate exploration of the Victorian politics of marriage and relationships with a few plot twists along the way.

Logon or register to see this image

The Stone Diaries by Carole Shields. Has a nice way of writing, but the fundamental story was boring. 5/10

Quite enjoyed this although there never seemed to be the 'big hook' that you were expecting to come. Perhaps that wasn't too bad a thing and his earlier years before being BBC famous seemed more interesting than when he got closer to the 'top dogs'. Probably a solid 6 or 7/10 but could have been better if there wasn't the impression that some stuff was still being held back.

Eventually finished the Nick Stone series by Andy McNab, the latest book published last month. Feel it is open for another book, so will look forward to that.

Thinking of starting Peter James series now, Roy Grace character. Anyone read them? Worth it?

Just finished this book earlier and have to give it at least an 8/10. A thoroughly enjoyable piece of crime fiction with lots of plot twists and turns along the way. When I read the first book by this author it was one of a series of four (this is the third) but a fifth book is now available in the DCI Daley series. After finishing the first book, 'Whisky in Small Glasses' I was unsure if I would persist with the remaining books but I'm pleased that I did as the storylines have developed into a cracker with number three. Number four is on my Kindle but I'll leave that for a bit.

Just finished this book earlier and have to give it at least an 8/10. A thoroughly enjoyable piece of crime fiction with lots of plot twists and turns along the way. When I read the first book by this author it was one of a series of four (this is the third) but a fifth book is now available in the DCI Daley series. After finishing the first book, 'Whisky in Small Glasses' I was unsure if I would persist with the remaining books but I'm pleased that I did as the storylines have developed into a cracker with number three. Number four is on my Kindle but I'll leave that for a bit.
There's also a prequel to the DCI Daley series when he was Constable Daley - but read the others first as it contains spoilers.

Eventually finished the Nick Stone series by Andy McNab, the latest book published last month. Feel it is open for another book, so will look forward to that.

Thinking of starting Peter James series now, Roy Grace character. Anyone read them? Worth it?
Think I've read one and it was okay. Not fantastic but worth a read if that's a genre you like.
Do not under any circumstances make the mistake of buying anything by Ed James which has a similar cover. Absolutely f***ing dreadful. I realise that nearly all covers in that genre are the same now. Silhouette of a woman looking away from the camera either on some steps or in some trees, yellow writing. It's hard to tell them apart but I think Ed James is definitely trying to pass himself off as the other fella. Luckily the one I fell for was free.

NO FUTURE - Punk, Politics, and British Youth Culture 1976-1984 by Matthew Worley.

If you're into your social/cultural/music history of this period then this book is for you.

Reading it makes you yearn for the times when music and sub-cultures actually existed and meant something unlike the wall-to-wall iPod soundalikes we have today.

Definitely one for music culture scholars for/of a time sadly missed...8/10

Read a few. Worth a read. Just started another one. But check out the right order to read them in. There are a couple of characters that make that necessary.

NO FUTURE - Punk, Politics, and British Youth Culture 1976-1984 by Matthew Worley.

If you're into your social/cultural/music history of this period then this book is for you.

Reading it makes you yearn for the times when music and sub-cultures actually existed and meant something unlike the wall-to-wall iPod soundalikes we have today.

Definitely one for music culture scholars for/of a time sadly missed...8/10
Loads of sub cultures exist. You just don't follow them.

I'm getting better at binning them. got rid of another this week. Admittedly some were free through Amazon Prime but I'm not wasting time on stuff I don't enjoy.
'The glittering morning sun reflected dazzlingly from each drop of dew on the rectory door like multi faceted diamonds. As the dazzling sun rose higher, the glitter began to fade like old memories until all that was left was an old oak door.' etc. but worse.

Back