The SMB Book thread

Was at a Q&A with Ben Myers in Newcastle last week for the launch of his new crime novel, and he mentioned that film/TV rights for The Gallows Pole have been sold. Would be interested to see what someone made of it.

The new novel's very good - set in a not-that-thinly disguised Hebden Bridge, it's a good piece of crime fiction but very Myers at the same time in style, and much more original than a lot of other genre stuff out there.

Logon or register to see this image

Just finished Pig Iron. Really enjoyed it. More than Gallows Pole I think. Would recommend to anyone if nowt else than there’s plenty of local reference given it’s setting. But mainly because it’s a cracking story.

Anyone recommend a good thriller ?

Pig Iron by Ben Myers

Last edited:
Sound like you like horro type stuff try silence of the lambs, Thomas HarrisHarris
I'll read anything, mate. Tried to read Crime and Punishment last night but the language/vocabulary used it's bloody hard to get into to. It's like reading a dead language.

I guess I just prefer the modern stuff.

I'll read anything, mate. Tried to read Crime and Punishment last night but the language/vocabulary used it's bloody hard to get into to. It's like reading a dead language.

I guess I just prefer the modern stuff.
Silence of the lambs, manhunter, American psycho, the shining, the bone collector, it, the stand, salems lot, I am legend, world war z, ...all pretty modern and keep up a decent pace to the stories so you don't get too bored

My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent 6/10
This novel's been hyped to the hilt. It's a bit of a slog - graphic child abuse is never going to make for comfortable reading - but the central character is vividly drawn, and momentum really gathers in the last quarter of the book.
However, it's deeply flawed. Some of the dialogue is painfully clunky. I mean, who talks like this?
Brett says, “It’s ironic, because we were fine before, we had the perfect campsite before, but nooooo, we needed water.”
“And look,” Jacob says. “Hashtag success! Hashtag winning!”

This from two random American schoolboys who we're expected to believe also have a passion for James Joyce, Dostoyevsky, and Virginia Woolf. In fact, almost all the characters seem to have remarkable taste in literature. It smacks too much of the author simply showing off.

A Man With One Of Those Faces - Caimh McDonnell
Amusing comedy thriller in the style of Brookmyre and Bateman. Picked up by chance as it was one of those identified as 'similar' to my own and it was free on the Prime Reading Library.
Well paced, well developed characters all with their little quirks. Plot was generally very good with a couple of holes and lost it a bit towards the end but altogether a very satisfactory read and will have a look at his other books. 7/10

Currently reading Knights of the Black & White by Jack Whyte. It's the first of a (fictional) trilogy about the Templars. Good read so far, I am hoping he has references added at the end of the book for some of the claims he has made. All makes sense but he might well have just made it all up.

Memphis 68 - The Tragedy of Southern Soul by Stuart Cosgrove

The second in a trilogy of books about changes in soul music (the first was Detroit 67 and the final one will be Harlem 69). It's interesting and well-written with lots of wider cultural references thrown in but, like the first book, I feel like I'm missing something not being a soul music connoisseur. Lots of references to people and songs that I wasn't really aware of which are often covered up with the description of being an 'underground classic' or similar. Still, the social history aspect makes up for a lot of that and having already read Detroit 67 I guess I'm nailed on for Harlem 69 when that comes out. Memphis is obviously a classic music city but sometimes the point seems a bit stretched. Probably a solid 7/10.

The Sea by John Banville 10/10
A contender for the best book I've read this year. Banville is often compared to Nabokov - given his sheer joy in the use of language, it's merited. Here two timelines finally merge at the end. A powerful evocation of memory and loss, and constantly gripping.

Back