The SMB Book thread

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Monty Pigeon, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Honestly cant think of last book i finished.

started on a couple but not git into them..

2. Reading Keane's new book at the moment. He seemed to love Sunderland,he's very money orientated and he pissed me off because he twice said that the crowd for the West brom game just before arrived was only 14,000.

3. Harry Angstrom

Harry Angstrom Striker

Brilliant Crimbo present is Primo Levy. :lol::lol::lol:

Sebasaurus II likes this.
  4. WheyHey

WheyHey Striker

Just discoverd the Flashman novels. Last one read was Flashman and the Redskins.
    Super stuff.

5. zwartekat

zwartekat Striker

Just finished Lingo, Lingo....etc by Gaston Dorren. Quite interesting but didn't seem to know where it was aiming at. 5/10.

Also Do It For Your Mum about British Sea Power and the Dad of the 2 brothers in the band, written by the older brother Roy Wilkinson who was their manager in the early days. It actually concentrates quite a bit on their 80-year-old Dad becoming obsessed by indie music and, weirdly, he was originally from Sunderland and towards the end of the book they retire back to Seaburn. Can be a bit 'flowery' but still a good read. 7/10

Some Luck by Jane Smiley was the last fiction. Thought is was terrific and the first of a trilogy so looking forward to the next. 9/10

6. maygo

maygo Winger

Next on my list

7. AB22 Easy Tiger

AB22 Easy Tiger Nocturnal Tourist Staff Member Contributor

Think yourself lucky you're not doing English Language.

;)

Pants likes this.
  8. bloo71

bloo71 Midfield

'Chew on this' I think it's called....all about fast food industry, especially muckdonalds. Very enlightening. Someone asked on here a few days ago, what do you buy in muckdonalds.....sod all after reading this

9. fishboy

fishboy Midfield

It woz grate

10. Going to give that a go.

I've just finished editing the first draft of my new one. Wouldn't like to give it a score just yet.;)

The Nude Monk likes this.
  11. carmo3773

carmo3773 Midfield

Sounds canny, I'm into my medieval stuff at the moment. I'll see if it's on the kindle store, cheers marra!

mawky brockett likes this.
  12. Arkle

Arkle Striker Contributor

It's his second book and loosely linked to the first one, Seventy Times Seven, also a thriller but set earlier and in Northern Ireland/the deep south (Alabama, I think).

13. The Spezial One

The Spezial One Striker

It's shit.

It's been proven over the years that people who enjoy it tend to be any one or more of depressives, outcasts, miserable, struggling with their sexuality.

People who think it's shit tend to be wired ok mate. Congratulations.

14. SteveB

SteveB Striker

Read that on holiday last year. Dated as you say but enjoyed it. Never read a word of Hemingway till a year or so ago but have followed him all over Europe since

15. HarrogateMackem

HarrogateMackem Striker

Its a powerful book so be prepared for that

16. Prefab

Prefab Midfield

A universe from nothing - Lawrence Krauss.

Decent read but not as enjoyable as

The particle at the end of the universe - Sean Carroll, which I'm halfway through.

Now if only I could read more than 2 pages a night before falling asleep I'd be able to get through more than 2 books a year. :confused:

17. SteveB

SteveB Striker

Double cross - Ben McIntyre

24 hour job and I don't read too often.

Superb. About the ddouble agents in the war.

Halfway through red or dead - book about shankly by the lad who did damned united

18. Not a bad read. Likewise with the mediaeval stuff. But if you haven't read owt by Karen maitland read company of liars first. Really good book.

19. moo

moo Midfield

Finished that today and its canny. Hardly a classic but a lot more enjoyable than some of his recent efforts.

Got 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon by Crystal Zevon' to start tomorrow which I am looking forward to.

20. Stray Cat

Stray Cat Striker

Joyland - Stephen King 8.5/10

I enjoyed it. He went through an iffy time but his books are back on form. Mr Mercedes was good too and I'm reading Full Dark No Stars at the moment. On the last story now, the first 3 were really good.

May 1973 likes this.