The SMB Book thread

Jupiter's Travels - Ted Simon

Absolutely fantastic. He spent 4 years (1973-1977) travelling around the world on a triumph. Incredible travel book. What a bloke. My dad's doing to meet him next week, gonna get it signed.

Lots of pages to go back and check for recommendations but I’m looking for a big novel that will get me through a holiday. Not a fan of sci-fi.
The last few I read that I’ve enjoyed were Sacred Games, Shantaram, Wolf Hall (language took a bit of getting used to).

Lots of pages to go back and check for recommendations but I’m looking for a big novel that will get me through a holiday. Not a fan of sci-fi.
The last few I read that I’ve enjoyed were Sacred Games, Shantaram, Wolf Hall (language took a bit of getting used to).
The Shadow of the Wind, Ruiz Zafón, Carlos

The Gallows Pole by Ben Myers

Finished the ticker collector from Belarus, true story of the uks only war crimes trial.

An interesting albeit sometimes hard read about the nazis in Belarus and their extermination of the Jews.

I'm to young to remember the trial as it happened (during the late 90s) but its fascinating to read about it. Definitely a book for anyone who is into world war 2.

Finished The Farther Corner by Harry Pearson, quite enjoyed it though it did become a little tedious by the end, he tends to go off on tangents similar to Ross Noble.

I've got 40 odd books on my 'to read' folder so need to have a gander through that. Quite tempted to read Oliver Bullough's Butler to the World: The book the oligarchs don’t want you to read - how Britain became the servant of tycoons, tax dodgers, kleptocrats and criminals. It's probably a decent follow on to Putin's People that I read recently.

The Gulag Archipelago - Aleksander Solzhenitsyn

Just as brutal and terrifying as everybody says it is. Reading pt 1 Chapter 3 - which covered NKVD torture methods - over lunch was a regrettably foolish decision. An absolutely stunning, detailed portrait of the soviet penal system from arrest to release, and a damning indictment of the evil of man.

The Mayor of Casterbridge - Thomas Hardy

Wife and I watched Far From the Madding Crowd over the weekend and I decided I'd dip back in to one of my favourite all time authors - I've neglected him for almost two decades. TMoC is a little off the beaten track for Hardy, and a little too action packed, but the main character is incredibly complex and fascinating - you oscillate from pity to revulsion by the chapter. The foil is too perfect and flat, but the novel is rewarding.

The Gulag Archipelago - Aleksander Solzhenitsyn

Just as brutal and terrifying as everybody says it is. Reading pt 1 Chapter 3 - which covered NKVD torture methods - over lunch was a regrettably foolish decision. An absolutely stunning, detailed portrait of the soviet penal system from arrest to release, and a damning indictment of the evil of man.

The Mayor of Casterbridge - Thomas Hardy

Wife and I watched Far From the Madding Crowd over the weekend and I decided I'd dip back in to one of my favourite all time authors - I've neglected him for almost two decades. TMoC is a little off the beaten track for Hardy, and a little too action packed, but the main character is incredibly complex and fascinating - you oscillate from pity to revulsion by the chapter. The foil is too perfect and flat, but the novel is rewarding.
Two utter bangers there.

I know others have asked this before but do many people use Kindle Unlimited or the Kindle Owners' Lending Library (Prime)?
I forget I have the Prime one and I've never fancied Kindle Unlimited but two thirds of my income is from people borrowing and reading my books (paid per page read) rather than purchases.
There's been a definite spike in the last 4-6 weeks and I don't know what's driving it.

I know others have asked this before but do many people use Kindle Unlimited or the Kindle Owners' Lending Library (Prime)?
I forget I have the Prime one and I've never fancied Kindle Unlimited but two thirds of my income is from people borrowing and reading my books (paid per page read) rather than purchases.
There's been a definite spike in the last 4-6 weeks and I don't know what's driving it.
No - I just buy. Usually from bookbub or similar tipping me off when things are 99p

just finished 'Home Run - Escape from Nazi Europe'

detailing the escape lines in WW2, how they were setup, the soldiers/airman they rescued, what happened to the resistance people who were caught, etc

excellent book, but one thing that has me chuckling - its co-wrote by John Nichol (whos one claim to fame is that he was'nt an evader)

:)

Back