The SMB Book thread

Couple of recent reads of mine:

A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende - 9/10

Set against the Spanish Civil War, and subsequent flight to Chile by thousands of people to escape the oppression of Franco. Masterful and captivating.

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway - 6/10

The story of Hemingway's life in Paris and relationships with other writers at the time. I can't help feeling that a lot has been excluded from this account, not least the fact that he had at least one affair behind his wife's back.

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - 8/10

An enjoyable book with some well written characters and an intriguing story. The backdrop of the Spanish civil war was fascinating to me (its the 2nd book I've read in that background after Winter in Madrid). I might look into more books based in or on the subject.

An enjoyable book with some well written characters and an intriguing story. The backdrop of the Spanish civil war was fascinating to me (its the 2nd book I've read in that background after Winter in Madrid). I might look into more books based in or on the subject.

There is a prequel and a sequel to that book. Enjoyed them. I've not read the sequel yet.

This book is not only about the Civil War but it's heavily prevalent with some excellent insights.

I know a few people have asked about letting them know if my book ever became available in physical format and today is finally that day! After spending an entire day yesterday formatting and fixing the bastard (and building the spine for the bloody cover @RestlessNatives :lol:), it can now be purchased directly from Amazon using this link. If anyone picks up a copy, would be great to get your opinions once you're finished. 👍🏻

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a few people have asked about letting them know if my book ever became available in physical format and today is finally that day! After spending an entire day yesterday formatting and fixing the bastard (and building the spine for the bloody cover @RestlessNatives :lol:), it can now be purchased directly from Amazon using this link. If anyone picks up a copy, would be great to get your opinions once you're finished. 👍🏻

Can you read them in any order or are they a trilogy?

Sounds right up my street, you have a customer!

into my amazon basket it goes. Will get it for summer holiday reading

The Migration. About a mysterious global pandemic effecting young people’s immune system. Just the ticket for actual pandemic reading. Enjoyable so far. Currently 4/5

After following this thread for while I read Shantaram and thought it was absolutely brilliant.

Heard the second one isn't as good, is it worth a read?
Brilliant, lads! Thanks for your support. Hope you like it. Might find some of the locales in it familiar...
What's the crack with Kindle unlimited, do you get anywhere near the same in terms of income if I download it through there?

GBH Ted Lewis 7/10
Logon or register to see this image

Gritty crime thriller by the author of Get Carter. Alternating between two time periods, one as crime boss George Fowler runs his criminal empire in London, the other as he's in hiding in a dreary seaside town on the east coast.
A decent well paced tale, quite brutal in places. An enjoyable and easy read.

What's the crack with Kindle unlimited, do you get anywhere near the same in terms of income if I download it through there?
I actually earn more per each Kindle Unlimited read than through either purchase option, believe it or not. So I would say that would be my preferred way for people to read my stuff. ;)

(If you download my books and flick all the way to the end of each one before reading them properly I actually earn my profit there and then. Hint, hint. ;))

I actually earn more per each Kindle Unlimited read than through either purchase option, believe it or not. So I would say that would be my preferred way for people to read my stuff. ;)

(If you download my books and flick all the way to the end of each one before reading them properly I actually earn my profit there and then. Hint, hint. ;))
I think they've cottoned on to this now and have algorithms to check 'normal' reading speed.
I possibly make more money overall from Kindle Unlimited these days.

Interesting to know.... :)

I think they've cottoned on to this now and have algorithms to check 'normal' reading speed.
I possibly make more money overall from Kindle Unlimited these days.
Bastards!
Can you read them in any order or are they a trilogy?
Sounds right up my street, you have a customer!
into my amazon basket it goes. Will get it for summer holiday reading
My copy arrived today. Really happy with it! Think they look great.

Lockdown by Peter May

Years ago, when the author was struggling rather than an established writer, publishers wouldn't touch this. Now, it's reached its time. Essentially, London is in lockdown because of an H5N1 bird flu pandemic. Through this, rugged Scottish Detective Inspector MacNeil must investigate the murder of a young child and bring her killer to justice. Essentially, it's an enjoyable enough yarn, if sometimes a tad cliched. There are nice touches e.g. the Isle of Dogs is virus free so essentially shielding as a community with a shott on sight policy being used if anyone tries to enter and the central mystery us quite well developed, even if the prose sometimes isn't. 7.5/10

Back