The SMB Book thread

Sword of Kings by Bernard Cornwell

Finished reading this over the weekend. It's, as with all of Cornwell's Saxon Stories, very readable, although 12 books in they've got a little formulaic. This appears to be the penultimate book in the series (it has to be, Uhtred is getting old) so we can expect a climactic ending next time. 7.5/10

A couple of recent reads of mine:

The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold

A very interesting insight into the lives of five victims of Jack the Ripper, particularly the way they came to be viewed by the press and public, and a broader view of the life in Victorian London at the time. 8/10

A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes

A retelling of the story of Troy but from a perspective of the women (wives, daughters etc) of the men involved. Slightly dry in places and only mildly entertaining, but a worthwhile read. Available as a free advance copy prior to publication next month. 7/10

Just finished The Last Day by Andrew Hunter-Murray. Read it as I really like No Such Thing As A Fish but unfortunately I didn't enjoy it. The concept is a good one but it didn't really go anywhere, the characters aren't particularly likable and I find the writing style a bit forced at times. Disappointed in the end.

Moving on to Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney after really enjoying Normal People

Sad news. The Shadow of the Wind is a canny book.

Sad news indeed

I fondly remember reading The Shadow of The Wind while on my honeymoon around the Med so it's a special book to me.

Last edited:
Got through a few books lately.

The Time Travellers Wife - by Audrey Niffenegger -6/10 A bit overrated. Good idea not particularly well executed. The first half of the book was much better than the second, it seemed like it was going to go somewhere profound but ended up being a bit dull. Most of the anecdotes of the time travelling later on were just an inconvenience (though that was partly the point), it didn't add much to the story. I didn't much care for any of the characters either.

Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig - 9/10 The second of Matt Haig's books that I've read relating to anxiety. He's a brilliant writer, I love his style and the content is so relatable. May try his new novel soon.

Four Kings: Leonard, Hagler, Hearns , Duran and the last great era of Boxing by George Kimball - 7/10. I'm not sure how much I enjoyed the writing style but the content of this book was superb.

1312: Among the Ultras by James Montague - 7/10. This one was on Audiobook, and was an enjoyable listen, but some chapters were far better than others. Montague has done a lot of research and visited a lot of Ultras but I think the scope of what he was trying to accomplish is too big - he has too many examples. The chapter on Ukraine and the one on Albania and Kosovo could have had their own books, such is the depth of the feeling in them that couldn't be fully captured in a chapter.

Normal People by Sally Rooney - 8/10. Another Audiobook listen, after watching the excellent TV series and I was not disappointed. It seems to have a bit of a love it or hate it reputation and I guess I'm in the former category. The 2 main protagonists are brilliantly written.

Strange co-incidence, but this is the book I've decided to pick up and read next.

Got through a few books lately.

The Time Travellers Wife - by Audrey Niffenegger -6/10 A bit overrated. Good idea not particularly well executed. The first half of the book was much better than the second, it seemed like it was going to go somewhere profound but ended up being a bit dull. Most of the anecdotes of the time travelling later on were just an inconvenience (though that was partly the point), it didn't add much to the story. I didn't much care for any of the characters either.

Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig - 9/10 The second of Matt Haig's books that I've read relating to anxiety. He's a brilliant writer, I love his style and the content is so relatable. May try his new novel soon.

Four Kings: Leonard, Hagler, Hearns , Duran and the last great era of Boxing by George Kimball - 7/10. I'm not sure how much I enjoyed the writing style but the content of this book was superb.

1312: Among the Ultras by James Montague - 7/10. This one was on Audiobook, and was an enjoyable listen, but some chapters were far better than others. Montague has done a lot of research and visited a lot of Ultras but I think the scope of what he was trying to accomplish is too big - he has too many examples. The chapter on Ukraine and the one on Albania and Kosovo could have had their own books, such is the depth of the feeling in them that couldn't be fully captured in a chapter.

Normal People by Sally Rooney - 8/10. Another Audiobook listen, after watching the excellent TV series and I was not disappointed. It seems to have a bit of a love it or hate it reputation and I guess I'm in the former category. The 2 main protagonists are brilliantly written.

Strange co-incidence, but this is the book I've decided to pick up and read next.
Four kings is a great boxing book. I can remember the hagler v minter fight as a kid. The book about ali by mailer is also well worth reading

Recommend me a Brookmyre to begin with? I enjoyed the Edinburgh murder mystery he wrote with his wife under the Ambrose Parry pseudonym.
well theres a second one of those so get that read. He has a long running series with his trademark character Jack Parlabane, a investigative reporter and another shorter series with Angelique Xavier, both of them are good but obviously start at the beginning.

I've recently been going through the standalone ones that I somehow missed out on so have read

Pandemonium
One fine day in the middle of the night
a tale etched in blood and hard black pencil
Not the end of the world

The first three all have school friend situations to them which he writes really well imho. I'd recommend any of those, maybe have a look at the synopsis and see which tickles your fancy.

He also has his sci fi murder mystery one which is good too Places in the Darkness by Chris Brookmyre review – murder in zero-gravity

Like I said you could pick any of them to start with, you'll know pretty quickly if its for you or not.
Just Finished this...

Logon or register to see this image

900 pages, thoroughly enjoyed it.
enjoyed that, wish the bastard would hurry up and release the follow up, it was first meant to be released about 3 years ago and keeps getting pushed back, its now 2021 on amazon.

Last edited:
I am currently working my way through the works of Jose Saramago. Currently on The History of the Siege of Lisbon, which I think is excellent, if a little more obtuse than some of his other work (not that that's a bad thing necessarily).

Recommend me a Brookmyre to begin with? I enjoyed the Edinburgh murder mystery he wrote with his wife under the Ambrose Parry pseudonym.
Start with the first, Quite Ugly One Morning. Sets his whole tone and style and has largely kept the standard up ever since. The Jack Parlabane series are my favourites. (If you like these also go for Colin Bateman's Dan Starkey books from Divorcing Jack)

The "jobby"...

Start with the first, Quite Ugly One Morning. Sets his whole tone and style and has largely kept the standard up ever since. The Jack Parlabane series are my favourites. (If you like these also go for Colin Bateman's Dan Starkey books from Divorcing Jack)

The "jobby"...
The thing about QUOM is that it is very different to the current writing of Brookmyre but if you wish to read the Parlabane series that is where you should start.

I'm currently about half way through The Chain by Adrian McKinty which is equal parts gripping and disturbing.

Back