The SMB Book thread

Aye, I've got an hardback copy, but I bought the Kindle version for bed time reading, well worth it at that price, I've been reading quite a few of the classic lately, you can get them for nothing for the kindle or pennies like that.

Well Orwell didn't seem to think so, I'm gonna go with his opinion over yours like.
His opinion is just that, an opinion. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I didn't much at all.

Agent Running in the Field by John le Carré 8/10
Le Carré 's attempts to chronicle the post Cold War world have been patchy, but this one - Brexit, Trump and all - ranks with some of his best. At its heart: when you no longer believe your country is a force for good, why spy for it?

Logon or register to see this image

Got a signed copy of it sitting in the bookcase but not go around to it yet, thanks for the review mate.

Gonna plough through a shelfload of crim fiction just to get em read and out of the house for good.

Blood Game by Ed Gorman. 1989. 5/10.
It’s 1892 in midwest US and a bounty hunter takes a job body guarding a boxing promoter. Ok at what it does but I’ll not be bothering with any more.

The Devil All The Time by Donald Ray Pollock. 2011 8/10.
Cover blurbs make comparisons with Ernest Hemingway, Raymond Carver, David Lynch and Denis Johnson and it’s not out of place in that company. Author worked as a labourer in a paper mill for over 30 years before taking up writing apparently. Hope there’s a fillum in the offing.
Three plus seemingly unconnected tales of small town US life from the end of war into the early 70s come together towards the end. Excellent stuff.

not gonna create its own thread, but presume this will be read by all the book people of the smb...

is this the most horrific of crimes against books, or is it just me?

ford v Ferrari very good..
is this a book, or for the movie thread?

not gonna create its own thread, but presume this will be read by all the book people of the smb...

is this a book, or for the movie thread?
film.. my bad..

I like the reply about doing the same with long DVDs.

Seriously though, a lot of books are more than just things to read and work through.

That book is like marmite. People either love it or hate it. Personally I loved it though I thought the ending was a bit rushed (no spoilers)
Been busy lately, so I haven't read as much as I'd like - definite thumbs up so far.

Back