The SMB Book thread

Some good stuff there. (I read Brautigan's A Confederate General from Big Sur a couple of months ago - wild, man.)

Have you read any Tom Robbins? Skinny Legs and All, Still Life with Woodpecker, and Jitterbug Perfume are all great. Definitely a touch of Brautigan, but spun off in inventive directions.

One of the best books I've read this year is Something Happened by Joseph Heller. 500 pages in which not much happens (but you keep reading because he's never less than interesting) then something happens and for the last 30 pages you're in WTF shock. Incredible book.

I'm currently working my way through the Graham Greenes I hadn't got round to. Travels with my Aunt and The Captain and the Enemy would both make great holiday reads.

So, I didn't get Brautigan's Willard and his Bowling Trophies (because I couldn't find a reasonably priced copy) and I didn't get The Fan Man because I happened to pick up a different Kotzwinkle in a Barney charity shop before we left, and didn't think much of it.

I did however get The Dead Father, as well as J.G. Farrell's Siege of Krishnapur, John Barth's The Sot-Weed Factor (fiver, World of Books) and I took up your recommendation of Something Happened.

In the order I read them:

J.G. Farrell: The Siege of Krishnapur. I see there's a few positive reviews of this on here, so I won't labour the point. For me a brilliant fictionalised re-telling of the Siege of Lucknow in 1857. A great one to read in the searing heat of a holiday, as you let Farrell's easy prose drag you fully into the swelter of the Siege and the ever-declining fortunes of those barricaded inside. Just to think, even I could have prevented the Siege of Lucknow, because even I know you don't fuck with a hindoo's cow-thing. Superb.

John Barth: The Sot-Weed Factor. I bought this because I recently read Barth's other gargantuan tome, Giles Goat-Boy, and absolutely loved it. The Sot-Weed Factor is like a cross between Tristram Shandy and Mason and Dixon, but with added debauchery. As I was reading it I started to google the place names, to see if they were real, and realised that the central character of the novel, Ebenezer Goode, actually existed in the 17th century and in fact wrote an epic poem called The Sot-Weed Factor (a tobacco plantation owner, essentially) in 1680-something. That poem (I read it too) was absolutely scabrous of life in colonial Maryland and Virginia, so Barth seems to have taken that as his starting point and has written a fictionalised account of Goode's travels where every character has at least three or four aliases, each double crossing, treble crossing or quadra crossing everyone else and their aliases (more crosses than a Vatican gift shop) in 800 nutty pages of much swiving (f***ing) and pox. Superb.

Donald Barthelme: The Dead Father. What the fuck? Seriously, what the fuck? In a good way like, the best what the fuck books can do things that could never be done in a film - this book just exists in a largely unexplained parallel universe. So there's this father right, and he's 2,200 cubits tall (about a mile, I looked it up), and he's dead, except he isn't because he talks and that, and he has a mechanical leg. For virtually the whole of the book he is being dragged by cables by 40 or so of his "children" (it's never made clear whether they are equivalently sized - suspect not). From time to time he does stuff like transform himself into a toupe so that he can sit on the head of one of his offspring and observe him getting a shag. The denoument is the dead father's final destination. I've started reading it again, I've got a feeling that Barthelme and I are going to be good friends. Double superb. There's an argument that the dead father is the embodiment of fatherhood itself, to whit...

Joseph Heller: Something Happened. Completely get it and completely agree with your appraisal. I tried to guess what the "something" was going to be, and I nearly got it right (wrong sibling). He's a really off character isn't he, and the way that Heller gets you to inhabit his head is amazing - at times I had to sense check that some of the things he was saying were appalling, so in-his-head was I that at times I suspected he was making me think that way :lol: Superb.

Been a cracking holiday :D

Home tomorrow (got another one in 7 weeks, so chin up eh?)

So, I didn't get Brautigan's Willard and his Bowling Trophies (because I couldn't find a reasonably priced copy) and I didn't get The Fan Man because I happened to pick up a different Kotzwinkle in a Barney charity shop before we left, and didn't think much of it.

I did however get The Dead Father, as well as J.G. Farrell's Siege of Krishnapur, John Barth's The Sot-Weed Factor (fiver, World of Books) and I took up your recommendation of Something Happened.

In the order I read them:

J.G. Farrell: The Siege of Krishnapur. I see there's a few positive reviews of this on here, so I won't labour the point. For me a brilliant fictionalised re-telling of the Siege of Lucknow in 1857. A great one to read in the searing heat of a holiday, as you let Farrell's easy prose drag you fully into the swelter of the Siege and the ever-declining fortunes of those barricaded inside. Just to think, even I could have prevented the Siege of Lucknow, because even I know you don't fuck with a hindoo's cow-thing. Superb.

John Barth: The Sot-Weed Factor. I bought this because I recently read Barth's other gargantuan tome, Giles Goat-Boy, and absolutely loved it. The Sot-Weed Factor is like a cross between Tristram Shandy and Mason and Dixon, but with added debauchery. As I was reading it I started to google the place names, to see if they were real, and realised that the central character of the novel, Ebenezer Goode, actually existed in the 17th century and in fact wrote an epic poem called The Sot-Weed Factor (a tobacco plantation owner, essentially) in 1680-something. That poem (I read it too) was absolutely scabrous of life in colonial Maryland and Virginia, so Barth seems to have taken that as his starting point and has written a fictionalised account of Goode's travels where every character has at least three or four aliases, each double crossing, treble crossing or quadra crossing everyone else and their aliases (more crosses than a Vatican gift shop) in 800 nutty pages of much swiving (f***ing) and pox. Superb.

Donald Barthelme: The Dead Father. What the fuck? Seriously, what the fuck? In a good way like, the best what the fuck books can do things that could never be done in a film - this book just exists in a largely unexplained parallel universe. So there's this father right, and he's 2,200 cubits tall (about a mile, I looked it up), and he's dead, except he isn't because he talks and that, and he has a mechanical leg. For virtually the whole of the book he is being dragged by cables by 40 or so of his "children" (it's never made clear whether they are equivalently sized - suspect not). From time to time he does stuff like transform himself into a toupe so that he can sit on the head of one of his offspring and observe him getting a shag. The denoument is the dead father's final destination. I've started reading it again, I've got a feeling that Barthelme and I are going to be good friends. Double superb. There's an argument that the dead father is the embodiment of fatherhood itself, to whit...

Joseph Heller: Something Happened. Completely get it and completely agree with your appraisal. I tried to guess what the "something" was going to be, and I nearly got it right (wrong sibling). He's a really off character isn't he, and the way that Heller gets you to inhabit his head is amazing - at times I had to sense check that some of the things he was saying were appalling, so in-his-head was I that at times I suspected he was making me think that way :lol: Superb.

Been a cracking holiday :D

Home tomorrow (got another one in 7 weeks, so chin up eh?)

Pleased you got as much from Something Happened as I did. It's not for everyone, but those who get it it's one of the best books you'll ever read. Did I mention the Backlisted podcast about it? Well worth a listen. 63. Joseph Heller - Something Happened (Backlisted is a great source of reading recommendations.)

I love JG Farrell. The other two in the Empire trilogy - Troubles and Singapore Grip - are equally brilliant, as is the biography of him by Lavinia Greacen.

Logon or register to see this image

Pleased you got as much from Something Happened as I did. It's not for everyone, but those who get it it's one of the best books you'll ever read. Did I mention the Backlisted podcast about it? Well worth a listen. 63. Joseph Heller - Something Happened (Backlisted is a great source of reading recommendations.)

I love JG Farrell. The other two in the Empire trilogy - Troubles and Singapore Grip - are equally brilliant, as is the biography of him by Lavinia Greacen.

I'll listen to the podcast now, on the hook.

I don't read many autobiographies (mainly because I can never think of anyone whose life I give much of a fuck about) but may well pick this one up. Mostly musicians when I do.

Any good ones you're aware of about Flann O'Brien? :D

Just finished touching the void (third time) and this game of ghosts. Both written by mountaineer joe Simpson. Well worth a read even if the subject matter is not your thing. TTV is particularly good. The film is worth a watch too.

The Gun Debate, Philip J Cook - 5/10

Some pretty useful facts and figures that could serve as a pretty good reference book, but the manner in which it is written didn't really engage. In the end it turned into a exercise in finishing the book and highlighting the bits I might need to come back to if I ever get in an argument with a gun twat.

Merchants of Doubt, Naomi Orekses & Erik Conway - 7/10
You're probably familiar with climate change deniers. You might not be familiar with the fact that we have been through all of this before, a few times now, and the tactics have remained the same. Basically there are a small group of well connected and well funded scientists who have, for the past 50 years, spent their time arguing in the face of scientific concensus on topics such as tobacco smoke, ozone depletion and global warming, in order to create sufficient doubt so as to block government regulation of various industries (tobacco, airline, fossil fuels). This book basically delves into the history of this "anti-science", the individuals involved, and the reasons why.

A bit dry at times, but in the current political climate I would consider it essential reading. You can still see it happening.

Last edited:

8/10
I love the space opera genre, large, vast, mind boggling distances and concepts. I didn't like the start, it seemed a bit fantastical but settled after that initial baulking scenario - I've read a lot of Reynolds and this is one of his best imo.

Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women, Geraldine Brooks - 8/10

Written in the mid-90's by a western (and Jewish) woman who spent a fair amount of time living, working and visiting various Muslim countries in the late 80's and early 90's. Fascinating reading (genital mutiliation part is grim), although I do have reservations about it being written by an outsider and a non-Muslim. My main criticism isn't really a criticism, it's just that the book is already 24 years old and was written at a time when many of the countries covered were taking a more fundamentalist route, so I would be keen to know what has happened since then.

Who Lost Russia? How the World Entered a New Cold War, Peter Conradi 8/10

Analysis of relations between Russia and the West (mainly USA) since the fall of the Soviet Union, and how we fucked up a golden opportunity in the 90's and early 00's to have a far better relationship. Each US president, from Bush Sr onwards, ended their presidencies in a worse place than where they started. I've read quite a few books on this topic, and I would consider this one to be one of the better written examples: engaging, simple language, good flow etc. But I thought The Road to Unfreedom covered far more interesting themes, and went into them more deeply.

Dark Room - Steve Mosby 7/10

Decent crime thriller, well paced with interesting characters, back stories and set pieces. Possibly a couple too many coincidences to make it entirely convincing, but didn't detract greatly from what was otherwise an enjoyable read that was picked up for a quid on the Kindle.

Winter is Coming, Garry Kasparov - 6/10

The legendary chess player became an activist in Russian politics in the mid 2000's and campaigned against Putin and the moves he was making to consolidate his own power and remove every ounce of the democracy that had been put in place after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Obviously, wee Vlad put an end to that in the way he always does - beating, arresting, jailing, banning and even killing. So Kasparov eventually left Russia and has taken to calling him out from a safe distance. On the one hand it's interesting to hear Kasparov's experiences with the corrupt regime in his homeland, but on the other hand he is just not a very good writer and the book lacks clear direction.

The Line: Where Medicine and Sport Collide: Dr Richard Freeman - 6/10
So I couldn't give a shit about the Tour de France and road cycling in general, although I do enjoy track cycling at the Olympics. As a result I hadn't really paid much attention to the "jiffybag-gate" scandal around Team Sky and Bradley Wiggins. I read the book simply because I'm quite interested in sports science and sports medicine, and how "marginal gains" was applied. Anyway, it was a decent insight into elite level sport, and all the little things they put in place (e.g. no shaking hands to avoid illnesses). Whether it answers many of the questions left by the scandal I don't know, but it wasn't immensely convincing to me. Read it in just 2 days because while it was just over 300 pages, it's printed in big font and has extremely generous use of margins and line spacing - a bit like when you couldn't add enough substance to an essay so you started fiddling with the formatting in microsoft word.

Small great things by Jodi Picoult

Really enjoyed this book, extremely powerful and well written. An African-American nurse is accused of murdering the newborn of a White Supremist couple. It is told from the point of view of the African-American nurse, Ruth, the White Supremist father, Turk, and the White defense lawyer, Kennedy. I've read some of her previous works, but this one is by far her best novel. Strongly recommend it.

Just finished Boys Life by Robert R McCammon. Must say it was one of the best books I’ve read in years. Very Stephen King Stand by Me like and had me wanting to keep reading. Brilliantly written. Only read because I stumbled across another book by him called Swan Song which was also a fantastic read. Now reading his latest The Listener.

Just ordered Boys life based on this, it will be going in my suitcase to Lanzarote at the end of October

Back