The Shark Is Broken....

For added confusion, no it is now. "Keaw" and indeed "yed" are old Lancashire spellings.
How-fen-er is pronounced like that.

Westhoughton is usually pronounced "West-orton" as people tend to drop the H. It does sometimes end up being split like "West Houghton" which when pronounced like that sounds like you're over doing it a bit.

It's also a long way from Houghton(le-Spring) near you.

As folklore goes, it's pretty good. Up there with Pollard and the Boar if you're familiar with that one
NEAR?! I live and breath Houghton le Spring hew.

This book has been out a long time and is brilliant.

Logon or register to see this image
Aye, it's corker.
I'd also recommend these 2, (though if you know about that one I'm guessing you're probably already familiar with them)
Logon or register to see this image

Is that a true story?
More or less, it's a dramatised version of the behind the scenes tensions whilst making the film.
The screenings end this month, meant to go but didn't make the time sadly, looked really interesting.
I'd been sitting tight waiting for some regional announcement, but got itchy feet and booked up for it.
I still reckon it'll tour, it's currently in an ATG theatre so could well come to the Sunderland Empire as that's ATG too.
Didn't want to risk missing it though, just in case!

Last edited:
No, what’s that one?

Well now...

I'm not going to type this all out, but here's the link.
It's a story every school child in Bishop should know

There's also The Pollards, pub in Bishop and just up the road from there, Pollard's Drive.
Opposite Pollards Drive incidentally is Lambton Drive

I'm sure you've heard of...

Back