The Shard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalmöMakem

Midfield
Went up this yesterday with my 7d and tokina 11-16mm. Great lens and that but I was really annoyed by the fact on the glass, the rails etc would reflect on the glass itself. Ruined the chance of fantastic photos. I will post some shots up tomorrow.

If anyone knows of good photoshop tutorials to get rid of reflections in the glass, then let me know.

Yep, a polarizer is pretty effective

I managed to shoot through the thick glass of the bar at the top of the natwest tower

You should have asked ;)

That said, it could depend on how close you can get to the glass (closer the better) and how many layers there are

How much are they charging for this privilege?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, a polarizer is pretty effective

I managed to shoot through the thick glass of the bar at the top of the natwest tower

You should have asked ;)

That said, it could depend on how close you can get to the glass (closer the better) and how many layers there are

How much are they charging for this privilege?

Was difficult. As you have a part which is thick glass, a gap, then another massive piece of glass. Prob should of thought about the filter actually. They did have certain areas where the rails were left out, but not in decent places for the best photos. Set me back £25, which is pretty pricey, but in theory you can stay up there for as long as you like.

Logon or register to see this image

thats with my iPhone, but you get a little idea of the reflections.

I have no end of trouble taking photos of shopfronts, particularly at this time of year when the sun is bright and low.

Instead of seeing the shopfront you tend to get a photo of reflections of a photographer and camera and the shops on the opposite side of the street.

Picking the time of day can help but I can't always do this. A polarising filter only really works when you are at an angle to the glass and not square on :-(

Was difficult. As you have a part which is thick glass, a gap, then another massive piece of glass. Prob should of thought about the filter actually. They did have certain areas where the rails were left out, but not in decent places for the best photos. Set me back £25, which is pretty pricey, but in theory you can stay up there for as long as you like.

thats with my iPhone, but you get a little idea of the reflections.

Best view of London , I'm sure they market it as. I bloody doubt it. Looks like an aeroplane view. Like mountains, the best views are often halfway up, not at the top

As you suggest looks very difficult too. At tower 42 you only had on very thick lump of glass to deal with

Best view of London , I'm sure they market it as. I bloody doubt it. Looks like an aeroplane view. Like mountains, the best views are often halfway up, not at the top

As you suggest looks very difficult too. At tower 42 you only had on very thick lump of glass to deal with

Yeah, from a photography perspective it was disappointing, but it was a birthday gift for the girlfriend (she's an architect). I was impressed with the view in itself and I'd like to see it at night. I can imagine it being a nightmare trying to get any photos what with the place being lit up mind.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else get ever so slightly irritated when you have people using flash while taking a photo of the landscape!? I'm never one to be snobbish, but it boils my piss. Surely it is logically to think, the light won't travel that far and the fact there is reflective glass right in front of me.

anyway. couple of my better photos. (all with tokina 11-16/canon 7d/shot in raw) Done post production using the Raw thing in photoshop. Should really get lightroom.

I like the last one, nice processing. First one very good for this months comp. :)

Second batch: Needed polariser. Tis a cracking view from up there like; night shots would be unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the last one, nice processing. First one very good for this months comp. :)

Needed polariser. Tis a cracking view from up there like; night shots would be unreal.

I thought that, but the glass is pretty reflective. I think even with a good filter it might struggle with the lights in the observation deck. I think we said we would pop back for a night view.

I have some other good compositions but some of the reflective stuff ruins the whole shot.

Yeah, from a photography perspective it was disappointing, but it was a birthday gift for the girlfriend (she's an architect). I was impressed with the view in itself and I'd like to see it at night. I can imagine it being a nightmare trying to get any photos what with the place being lit up mind.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else get ever so slightly irritated when you have people using flash while taking a photo of the landscape!? I'm never one to be snobbish, but it boils my piss. Surely it is logically to think, the light won't travel that far and the fact there is reflective glass right in front of me.

anyway. couple of my better photos. (all with tokina 11-16/canon 7d/shot in raw) Done post production using the Raw thing in photoshop. Should really get lightroom.

That shot looks good....

Much more interesting than the basic views innit

Agree the reflection problem could be even worse at night, be interesting to find out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back