The semi-official "I have a new toy" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned in a previous post, I got this Yashica Mat 124G, this week. Its as clean as my 5D II, and its at least 16 years old. Just got some 100F film delivered today, so I am chomping at the bit, to get out and use it :-D
Logon or register to see this image

That looks lovely. I have a much older one, a Yashica Mat LM, which is essentially the same camera. It is extremely capable, but I must admit I don't use it much either and have found it rather difficult to get used to (and will probably therefore sell). Hence buying the Fuji medium format rangefinder which I'm hoping to get on with better (and to see what's achievable with a 6x9cm negative!!). Having said that, it's probably just a case of perservering - many people use TLRs to great success, and yours is certainly a good un.

That looks lovely. I have a much older one, a Yashica Mat LM, which is essentially the same camera. It is extremely capable, but I must admit I don't use it much either and have found it rather difficult to get used to (and will probably therefore sell). Hence buying the Fuji medium format rangefinder which I'm hoping to get on with better (and to see what's achievable with a 6x9cm negative!!). Having said that, it's probably just a case of perservering - many people use TLRs to great success, and yours is certainly a good un.

Very good, and great value I suspect

You can crop a panorama out of it that's not much smaller than an xpan

edit: bigger than an xpan...

85mm vs 62mm :)

New tripod this week, Giottos MTL9361B and three way pan and tilt. Cant believe how tall it is, its too tall to see the top of my camera without using the centre column. Build quality is fantastic, gonna get a ball head for it soon just not sure which one yet, but it will have a panorama feature.

Tremendous

How much? They tend to be stupidly cheap. When I first looked at those 10 years ago they were 8 - 900

Worked out about £369. Straight through customs with no charges too :-D. There is currently one in EBay in the UK for £975 + delivery.

Nice one... Did they put gift or summat?

Be warned, the customs bill can turn up later

Worked out about £369. Straight through customs with no charges too :-D. There is currently one in EBay in the UK for £975 + delivery.

That's a corking deal - I was looking at a couple in Shanghai Camera Equipment City yesterday but didn't bother asking any more as I figured they would be wrong side of a grand so didn't even bother asking the price. Beautiful cameras though.

Anyway so you've bought the Yashicamat and this recently - I presume you are single (or soon to be anyway), the wife would string me up for that - even with the made up prices I tell her.

Last edited:
The value was marked up at only $38 :lol: Box hadn't even been opened by customs.

very noice

Bit risky if it goes missing, but hey it hasn't :lol:

Maybe they've had to divert officers away from checking the post!

Lovely little Sony 35mm 1.8. The 1.4 was well outa me range.
Great lens anyway

Lovely little Sony 35mm 1.8. The 1.4 was well outa me range.
Great lens anyway
I've got the nifty fifty Nikon 1.4. But the 1.8's are normally spot on too.... Unreal value.

Only thing with the fifty is on a crop frame sensor it's a bit close for me. Might look at a shorter focal range if I can sneak some money to one side :lol:

Last edited:
I've got the nifty fifty Nikon 1.4. But the 1.8's are normally spot on too.... Unreal value.

Only thing with the fifty is on a crop frame sensor it's a bit close for me. Might look at a shorter focal range if I can sneak some money to one side :lol:

I got the Sony 50mm 1.8 a few weeks back, again, great piece of glass for the price.

That's a corking deal - I was looking at a couple in Shanghai Camera Equipment City yesterday but didn't bother asking any more as I figured they would be wrong side of a grand so didn't even bother asking the price. Beautiful cameras though.

Anyway so you've bought the Yashicamat and this recently - I presume you are single (or soon to be anyway), the wife would string me up for that - even with the made up prices I tell her.

Just spotted this :lol: our lass is ok to a certain extent on me getting stuff. I managed to talk her into letting me get a Canon 300mm F2.8 L IS once :-D. I recently sold my Sigma 120-300 F2.8 and will be getting rid if a few other bits and pieces so I am still quids in so she can't moan. Mind you I did bid on a Mamiya 7ii before going for the Fuji and I was bricking it as I was the highest bidder for a while and was struggling for ideas on how to break the news. :lol:

Last edited:
That looks a monster on the camera body. Sure I read that they are bringing out a 60D that has been modified for Astronomy. Will you be getting one of those?

No mate, because I already have an EOS20D that has been modified for astronomy (by Astronomiser in High Spen). :cool: If the previous Canon venture into this market (20Da) is anything to go by it will be overpriced for what it is.

The camera in this shot is my un-modified 30D btw.

The MTO came with three 116mm filters - red, green and skylight, I have had the red and skylight glass out and slapped solar film in the frames in preparation for the transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back