The Secret Code and players being rested. Wood must be involved in the ODIs

Ghfd

Winger
England captain Eoin Morgan says there is "nothing untoward" in having coded information passed to him by the analyst during play.

A series of letters and numbers were hung from the dressing room balcony during South Africa's innings in England's 3-0 Twenty20 series win.
The information took the form of a letter and a number, for example "C3".

"It's 100% within the spirit of the game," said Morgan, adding that England will continue to use the system.

"There's no real signals. There's always been constant communication, verbal or physical, from the changing room to us on field to help improve my decisions as captain and Jos Buttler's decision as vice-captain.

"It's about maximising information that we are taking in and measuring it against coaches recommendations, the data of what's going on."

The codes were relayed to Morgan by analyst Nathan Leamon.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan criticised the approach after the tourists completed a series clean sweep on Tuesday.

Morgan said: "There weren't many decisions that varied from mine. There were three in the first game, two in the second and a couple in the third.

"We're definitely going to continue with it and give it an enough sample size to see if it makes a difference or improves our decision-making on the field or our performance."

England said during the third T20 that they had cleared the system with the match referee and anti-corruption officials.

South Africa and England begin a three-match one-day series starting on Friday in Cape Town.

England rest Archer, Stokes & Curran

Despite the ODIs forming part of the Cricket World Cup Super League, which decides qualification for the 2023 World Cup, both sides are resting key players.

England are without pace bowler Jofra Archer and all-rounders Ben Stokes and Sam Curran.

All three have spent long periods in bio-secure bubbles during England's summer and the Indian Premier League before this tour, and Morgan has spoken about the need to look after players' mental health as well as their physical condition.

South Africa pace bowler Kagiso Rabada has been ruled out by the adductor strain that meant he missed the final T20, while former captain Faf du Plessis is rested.

I think it is bol*****.
Someone, somewhere has delivered an idea that will have looked fantastic in the Bubbles they have been sitting within.

very impressive stats, graphics etc etc on games that have finished. Now how that then can be transferred, let’s say at the MCG in the final of the world t20 with 12 needed off the last over is beyond me.

if the onfield players don’t have enough experience and nous now, they never will. World Cup winners, top ipl performers and the big bash.

to some bod sitting 100 yards away, flicking over a board saying 5 C. Come on England, this is a joke

Someone, somewhere has delivered an idea that will have looked fantastic in the Bubbles they have been sitting within.

very impressive stats, graphics etc etc on games that have finished. Now how that then can be transferred, let’s say at the MCG in the final of the world t20 with 12 needed off the last over is beyond me.

if the onfield players don’t have enough experience and nous now, they never will. World Cup winners, top ipl performers and the big bash.

to some bod sitting 100 yards away, flicking over a board saying 5 C. Come on England, this is a joke
Might mean their batsman (5) doesn't start well against leg spin so consider bowling Rashid (C). Could simply be something like that they discuss before the game but in the heat of the moment the players in the middle forget. I don't see a problem in trying it out.

Athers said the same analyst/coach had been doing it in the Pakistan T20 competition and they liked how it worked there.

Might mean their batsman (5) doesn't start well against leg spin so consider bowling Rashid (C). Could simply be something like that they discuss before the game but in the heat of the moment the players in the middle forget. I don't see a problem in trying it out.

Athers said the same analyst/coach had been doing it in the Pakistan T20 competition and they liked how it worked there.
All to be seen. I just feel with the experience our key players have, it’s an added piece that by now, they shouldn’t need

Back