The Second Half

Conserving energy etc., is all well and good as long as we stay professional. Do it properly without a half-arsed, 'it doesn't matter' attitude and remain sharp. Otherwise we could be surprised if a team scores and we can't come back. It also can't be allowed in the dressing room or to runover into the preparation for the next match. Other than that, tickety-boo.
(I've just explained that expression to a little Indian fella at work and now everything that's ok is tickety-boo.)

We still kept a clean sheet so I think we did

Some people forgetting how windy it was in the second half. Not a night for free flowing football. I was amazed at how well we controlled the ball especially first half.

What the fuck are you on about?
People saying we should have changed earlier etc. Bringing subs on any earlier tonight would have achieved nothing. The game was dead and buried at half time. Anything done 2nd half from the starting 11 or subs bench was totslly irrelevant and would not have been anymore of a marker than a run of the mill training game.
I'm on about finding out about your own players and team in a real situation, who can play in other positions or different formations. It could be about goal difference at the end of the season. We had the same tactics against Lincoln,3 up, game won, OK lads let's sit on it. Why not make every game 'first goal wins, then all piss off home' if that's the attitude.

Theres just no pleasing some of our fans.

The team just totally pissed all over Rochdale first half and then went about making sure they rarely got out of their own half in the 2nd. A professional performance knowing that another big game is coming up on Saturday.

f***ing pathetic from some of our lot tbh.

This. The game was won, they didn't have a chance of getting back into it and we've got through without injuries and suspensions and with a bit left then the tank.
I thought the second half was very professional, personally.

Used to happen often under Reid in the Championship. We’d be 2 or 3 up after 20 mins and the game would finish 3-1 or 4-2. Only time we really kicked in was the 7-0 against Oxford, ironically a game that neither Quinn or Phillips played in.

Was frustrated that he didn't replace two of wyke, gooch, McGuire or Dobson at half time. as others have said game was won. For me this would have fulfilled two things. Resting the players who have run their socks off twice a week. Given subs a full half to see how they settle into the team rather than shove them on with 15mins left. We will need them at some point.

I'm on about finding out about your own players and team in a real situation, who can play in other positions or different formations. It could be about goal difference at the end of the season. We had the same tactics against Lincoln,3 up, game won, OK lads let's sit on it. Why not make every game 'first goal wins, then all piss off home' if that's the attitude.

Consolidate what you're getting good at. You don't need to be trying lots of different things and risking making a mess of it.

KISS - Keep it simple stupid.
Was frustrated that he didn't replace two of wyke, gooch, McGuire or Dobson at half time. as others have said game was won. For me this would have fulfilled two things. Resting the players who have run their socks off twice a week. Given subs a full half to see how they settle into the team rather than shove them on with 15mins left. We will need them at some point.

Half time changes would have been unnecessarily risky. Remember Bristol City away a couple of seasons back...?

Last edited:
Paid £20 to watch this act, first half was good but christ the second half was dire, but so what, the first half of the show was good so I didn't mind.

Consolidate what you're getting good at. You don't need to be trying lots of different things and risking making a mess of it.

KISS - Keep it simple stupid.
We have struggled for long periods in each of the previous three games

DAFT - discover another formation thicky.

I'm not moaning btw. I just think we missed a golden opportunity to try something different with the personnel whilst boosting our GD at the same time

No, we took a golden opportunity to have a breather before a big game on Saturday. The pace of the game in the second half was like a light training session and I for one am happy with that.

We have struggled for long periods in each of the previous three games

DAFT - discover another formation thicky.

:lol:

Nice, but that's relevant when something isn't working. We've struggled at times in recent games, but the formation has been an outright success so far.

Back