The Run In

If we beat Peterborough and Pompey we’ll go up IMO.
Agree. Would have huge momentum going into last two, and would have a very negative effect on Barnsley knowing there is fuck all they can do.

It’s all about one game at a time and building that momentum. I think the lads know this, Wyke said the same in his interview after Friday. Win tomorrow and be over 40k on Satda. Portsmouth won’t handle that and I think will blow up. Be fantastic going into the last two knowing if we win em were up.

HWTL

They may but I wouldn't bank on it. Their last three games are all against mid table sides with nothing to play for. Not sure why they would crumble there. And even if they do Portsmouth are on a great run of form.

I reckon there's every chance we need to win our last four to go up. Still, yesterday was one down, four to go.
Plymouth need a win, 6th bottom.

If we win our next 4 games it's got fuck all to do with other teams.

Right, so you can, using all your impressive footballing knowledge gleamed from an incredibly sheltered life, hand on heart say that if Barnsley win theirs (which is more than likely given how often they have picked up points consistently), we could still catch them if we win our final 4.

Right, so you can, using all your impressive footballing knowledge gleamed from an incredibly sheltered life, hand on heart say that if Barnsley win theirs (which is more than likely given how often they have picked up points consistently), we could still catch them if we win our final 4.
Ever the optimist. We have zero chance of max points whilst Barnsley are odds on to win theirs. Truth is anything can happen.

It's not football knowledge, it's maths.
If we win our 4 games only Luton can get more points.

The way I’m looking at it is Sunderland v Portsmouth is your game in hand, I see all three of us winning our last three games and your game against each other decides the final automatic promotion spot.

The way I’m looking at it is Sunderland v Portsmouth is your game in hand, I see all three of us winning our last three games and your game against each other decides the final automatic promotion spot.
Not a bad way of looking at it. But all three got work to do before then. It really is too close to call.

Who’s position would you rather be in out of the three of us?

Not a bad way of looking at it. But all three got work to do before then. It really is too close to call.

If Safc Barnsley and Pompey all win tomorrow I would definitely take our situation just. A home game and two against mid/lower teams.
A win tomorrow will be the biggest result of the season for Safc. Imo.

Sunderland’s without doubt, you’re at home in the decider for second.

Out of the 3 of us would say we have the hardest run in and as you saw yesterday we were very poor but come away with a lucky 3 points. Tomorrow worries me Coventry looked very dangerous up front against you lot but then in fairness have not scored that many all season. I still think Barnsley will do it and us 2 in the final.

Out of the 3 of us would say we have the hardest run in and as you saw yesterday we were very poor but come away with a lucky 3 points. Tomorrow worries me Coventry looked very dangerous up front against you lot but then in fairness have not scored that many all season. I still think Barnsley will do it and us 2 in the final.
We will win our remaining four games to go up.

I was at the Chelsea game in 1963, played after the season would normally have finished because of the worst winter of the 20th century (2nd worst on record). We needed only one point from our last game, at home to the team just below us. The game kicked off in a gale force wind, they took the lead from a corner and the ball entered the net via a player caller Harmer, the ball hit his backside and went in, he knew nowt about it. We pressed and pressed, their goalkeeper Peter Boneti was like a man possessed had a fantastic game. They employed rough house tactics and were censured by the FA. They needed (might have been 2) a point in their final game against Portsmouth at Stamford Bridge. We didn't know the scores in those days but I saw the news and they won 7 -1, in typical Sunderland style we had thrown it away. I met my wife that year, 56 years ago yesterday.

Last edited:

Back